Hans Westergard

Male 1849 - 1897  (47 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Hans Westergard 
    Born 6 Aug 1849  Visby, Hassing, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 10 Aug 1849  Visby, Hassing, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 25 May 1897  Farr West, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 27 May 1897  Ogden City Cemetery, Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2511  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 12 Jan 2015 

    Father Christen Enevoldsen,   c. 18 Oct 1808, Bedsted, Hassing, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Dec 1867, Gettrup, Refs, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 59 years) 
    Mother Ane Kjerstine Jensdatter,   b. 3 Feb 1812, Kjaestrup, Heltborg, Refs, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Jul 1883, Harrisville, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years) 
    Married 16 Apr 1837  Visby, Hassing, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F895  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Mary Elizabeth Pritchett,   b. 15 Nov 1857, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Jun 1910, Farr West, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 52 years) 
    Married 4 Jul 1875  Harrisville, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F888  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1880 for Harrisville, Weber, Utah, FHL film 1255339, National Archives Film T9-1339, p. 487C [neighbors to brother Jens]:
      Hans Westergard, farmer, 30, Den, Den, Den.
      Mary E. Westergard, keeping house, wife, M, 22, VA, VA, VA.
      Martha E., dau, 5M, UT, Den, VA.

      2. "Names of Persons and Sureties indebted to the Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company 1850 to 1877," http://www.jacksonfamilyhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Doc030_PEF.pdf, p. 156, accessed 23 Apr 2014:
      Ann and Hans Westergaard - 1868.
      Jens Chr. Westergaard - 1868.

      1. Also known as Hans Christian Westergard in America. Hans Christensen Westergard traveled with his mother from Denmark to the United States via the "Emerald Isle" in 1868. See FHL film #025686. Farmer.

      2. In my files, I have a copy of "Emerald Isle Journals" prepared by Fred Westergard for the 2002 Westergard reunion. Using various sources, Fred has collected excerpts of the journals of various passengers who were on the same voyage from Denmark as was Ane Kjerstine Jensdatter (56) and her two sons, Jens (23) and Hans (18). These journals are too lengthy for this database, but I do herein summarize some pertinent information. (Also note that Fred prepared a similar typescript called "Kenilworth Journals" for Maren Westergard Olson of which I also have a copy on file.) They followed Maren (who sailed in 1866) by sailing from Copenhagen, Denmark on 13 Jun 1868 on the "Hansia or Hansa" arriving on 16 Jun 1868 at Kingston upon Hull, England. Owing to the large company on board they were very much crowded for space. From this point and in the evening of the same day they traveled by rail to Liverpool, England. Here they found accommodations in seven different hotels, where they, with the exception of one place, received anything but decent treatment because they had had next to nothing to eat. On 20 Jun 1868 they boarded the 1736 ton clipper sailing ship "Emerald Isle," commanded by a Captain Gillespie. They had a half day wait on the wharf because the carpenters had not completed their labors in making temporary berths for the passengers. Elder Hans Jensen Hals, and his counselors Elders James Smith and John Fagerberg presided over the company of 876 Saints (627 from Scandinavia and the rest from the British Isles). On June 26th the "Emerald Isle" sailed into the harbor of Queenstown to take fresh water on board, as a certain machine on the vessel used to distill seawater for culinary purposes was out of commission and could not speedily be repaired. On the 29th the ship left Queenstown, Ireland, but the voyage after that was anything but pleasant. This emigrating company of saints probably had the worst treatment of all emigrating companies because of lewdness of the crew and the stagnant water that caused much sickness. Fortunately it was the last company of Scandinavian Saints which crossed the Atlantic in a sailing vessel. From that time on only steamers were employed in the transportation of the Saints. No less than 37 deaths occurred on the voyage. Many of these, however, were caused by measles among the children, but the stagnant water, which all the passengers had to use, was undoubtedly the real cause of the heavy death rate. One comment by Hans Jorgenson about the "Emerald Isle" passage illustrates the general feeling expressed in most of the journals: "The treatment we had on board said vessel was anything but human. The captain and crew showed themselves as rough and mean towards us (especially Danish) as they could and the provisions did not by any means come up to the bargain. The shortest I can say about it is that this treatment was something like the Danish prisoners received in the 1807-1814. I for my part can never think on the deadly "Emerald Isle" but with the greatest disgust and hatred." The Saints held multiple meetings during the sabbath days in different parts of the ship and were divided into 13 wards, each with a presiding elder. Occasionally a dance would be held on deck. Schools were started in which the English were to teach the Scandinavians to read and speak the English language. They arrived in New York harbor on 11 Aug 1868 and after 3 days quarantine, landed at Castle Garden on 14 Aug 1868. On the same day a steamer conveyed the emigrants a few miles up the Hudson River, where they found shelter in a warehouse for a couple of days, while their baggage was being weighed by the railway station. On the 17th the journey was resumed by railway from New York and the emigrants traveled via Niagara, Detroit, and Chicago to Council bluffs where they arrived on the 21st. They stopped at Niagara and were able to see the falls. The following day, they were taken across the Missouri River on a rainy day by a steamboat and thence they traveled in cattle cars on the Union Pacific railroad to the end of the line arriving the morning of 25 Aug in Benton, Wyoming about 700 miles west from Omaha. Here the Church teams met the emigrants and took them to their camp on the Platte River, about six miles from Benton. On 31 Aug 1868, they began the rest of trip to Salt Lake City, Utah by church ox team of 62 wagons in Captain John G. Holman's company via Muddy Gap, Three Crossings, and the rest of the original Mormon Trail. The English Saints traveling with mule teams could ride, while the Scandinavians traveling with slow ox teams, walked most of the way to Salt Lake City. Sickness continued to rage among the Scandinavian emigrants with about thirty dead between New York and Salt Lake City. Jens left the company when it reached present day Echo, Utah and went down Weber canyon to Ogden where he went to work for the railroad. They with the rest of the company of approximately 650 people arrived in Salt Lake City on 25 Sep 1868 at about 9 o'clock in the morning. They camped temporarily in the Tithing Yard. See FHL films: 025686 - Perpetual Emigration Fund; 298442 - Crossing the Plains Index; 25692 - BMR, Book #1048, pp. 322-332, 370; 175654 - Customs. In the same typescript, Fred included the following biography of James (Jens) Westergard written by a granddaughter as follows: "Granfather James C. Westergard. This is some history grandfather told me about and I wrote it down. I must have been in grade school. 'Mother, myself, and Hans left Denmark the first week of June 1868. Crossing the North Sea to England took three days. Took the railroad to Liverpool. We were in Leverpool a week when we boarded a sailing vessel for America. We were on the Atlantic Ocean eight weeks and four days. Many took sick and 43 died on the ocean. We landed in New York 27 or 26 of June. We had a terrible storm at sea. We were in New York eleven days. Then took the railroad to Benton, Wyo. which was then the end of the U.P. railroad. Traveled 500 miles in 5 weeks when we landed in Utah. I left the company at Echo, Utah, 23 Sept. and went down to Weber Canyon to work on the railroad. I worked there a week before Christmas. Went to Salt Lake City, took a trip to San Pete to visit my mother and my sister. I was back in Ogden by the first of April 1869 then went back to work on the railroad till it was completed. After the railroad was completed all the white men were discharged except the foreman. They hired Chinamen. I went back to Omaha, Neb. Got work on the railroad again and worked two years. 17 Apr 1871, I married Mary Holst. In the spring of 1871 we left Omaha and went to Carbon, Wyo. working there for the Wyo. Coal Co. Was there a year. We moved back to Utah and bought a farm of 20 acres near North Ogden, Utah.'"

      1. FHL film # 053243; Visby Parish Record, 1814 - 1872, book 3, p. 33.

      2. Viborg, Denmark Regional Archives; Visby parish records; microfiche C118.3 plate 2 page 33.

      3. Cemetery record.

      1. FHL film # 053243; Visby Parish Record, 1814 - 1872, book 3, p. 33.

      1. Marriage Cert.

      1. FHL BOOK # 979.228/01, V220; Ogden City Cemetery Record, Lot 51, Block 4, Plat E, Ogden, Utah; Died of General Disability.

      2. Ogden City Cemetery online: Hans C. Westergaard, b. 6 Aug 1849 in Denmark, d. 2 May 1897 [date appears erroneous in light of obituary] in Farr West, UT, parents are Christian Westergar and Anna Christina Jenson, plot D-4-51-1E.

      1. Ogden City Cemetery, 9th Avenue between Center and South Streets.

      1. "Sudden Death at Farr West of Hans C. Westergaard, From Heart Disease. Superinduced by Rheumatism - Passed Away While at Work in the Barn Yard. Hans C. Westergaard, an old and respected citizen of Farr West and Harrisville died Tuesday night at his home from heart disease. During all of Tuesday, Mr. Westergaard had been working hard, and feeling tired. Late in the afternoon he went to the house and laid down on the floor to rest a few minutes. Later he roused himself with the remark that 'this will not do, I'll have to work at something,' and started for the barnyard. His wife was away from home, and he was not missed until sometime about 4:30, and search was then made for him. When found he was dead, his body lying in the calf pen, and he had been dead but a short time. Dr. Condon was summoned, but there was no indication of life and the doctor returned to town. There was no indication of violence and the death is attributed to heart failure. Some five years ago Mr. Westergaard was troubled with a severe attack of rheumatism, and it is supposed that this weakened the heart. Mrs. Westergaard was visiting at Preston, Idaho, at the time, but was sent for immediately and will be at home today. Mr. Westergaard leaves a wife and three children, a girl and two boys to mourn his loss." Ogden Standard, Thurs., 27 May, p. 8, and Friday, 28 May 1897.

      1. Archive Record Family Group Sheet submitted by Fermen J. Westergard, 2059 Van Buren Ave., Ogden Utah 84403 copy of which is in possession of Kerry Petersen. He references: "Film 9025 9024 Census paper 1840, 1845, 1850, 1855, and Fam. Rec."

      2. Per gedcom dated 6 Jan 1999 of Wayne Westergard, 785 W 1300 South, Woods Cross, Utah 84087, phone 801-295-2906.