Chris & Julie Petersen's Genealogy

Rebecca Frances Mangum

Female 1843 - 1928  (84 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Rebecca Frances Mangum 
    Born 10 Oct 1843  , Itawamba, Mississippi, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died 13 Apr 1928  Duncan, Greenlee, Arizona, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 15 Apr 1928  Central, Graham, Arizona, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2204  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 28 Jan 2015 

    Father John Mangum, V,   b. 10 Jun 1817, Springville, Saint Clair, Alabama, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Apr 1881, Alpine, Apache, Arizona, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 63 years) 
    Mother Mary Ann Adair,   b. 5 Jul 1822, , Pickens, Alabama, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 May 1892, Georgetown, Kane, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years) 
    Married 20 Aug 1841  , Noxubee, Mississippi, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F832  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family James Mitchell Mangum,   b. 6 Jan 1820, Springville, Saint Clair, Alabama, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Feb 1888, Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 68 years) 
    Married Aug 1859  of Washington, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F823  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1850 US: Dist. 21, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 137b, dwelling and family 1190, neighbor with Arta Emaline [Hannah] Mangum:
      John Mangum, 32, AL.
      Mary, 26, AL.
      Frances, 7, IA.
      Martha, 2, IA.

      1851 Iowa State: Pottawattamie County. FHL film 1022203. The entire state was counted but only Pottawattamie listed everyone by name in the household and their ages; other counties only listed the head of the household and a numerical count without names of the various ages by sex in the household. No date is given when the census was taken but it was certified in Dec. 1851; however, the other counties show a Sep 1851 date which also appears more likely for Pottawattamie as well in light of ages given some children with known birthdays in October. Census return:
      Mangum: John 24, Mary A. 27, Frances 7, Martha 5, Joseph E. 0. Also in household is Elen Bardsley 23. [Note next door neighbors are the Thomas/Mary Adair and William/Sarah Mangum families. Note also that John Mangum marries Ellen polygamously in 1853 in Utah. The Samuel Adair {with Samuel's daughter John/Permelia Holden family next door to him} is also listed but half the census away in a different part of the county. No other Adairs, Mangums, nor any Richeys listed in census.]

      1860 US: Washington, Washington, Utah, enumerated 27 Jul 1860, page 1035 indicates house #1291 and family #1115 (Samuel Adair, Thomas Adair, Wesley Adair, James Richey, Geo. W. Adair, James Mangum, John Mangum, Valentine Carson, John Price, William Mangum, Cyrus Mangum, Samuel N. Adair are all listed as neighbors):
      Ja's M. Mangum, 40, DLabor, $175 real estate, $250 personal property, AL.
      Frances, 16, AL.
      Ja's H., 11, UT.
      Jno. W., 10, UT.
      Heber, 8, UT.
      Martha, 5, UT.
      Frances, 1, UT.

      1870 US: Kanab, Kane, Utah, p. 2 of 2, family 7 (next door to his brother John):
      James Mangren, 50, $200, $900, farmer, NY.
      Frances, 24, keeping house, IL.
      Mary, 24, no occupation, IL.
      John W. 18, UT.
      Heber, 17, UT.
      Frances, 13, UT.
      Jane, 1, UT.
      Amanda, 1, UT.

      1880 US: Springerville Village, Apache, Arizona, NA T9-0036, FHL 1254036, p. 14A:
      James Mangran, marr., 60, AL SC - , farmer.
      R. Frances, wife, 33, MS AL MS.

      2. From the book "Nutrioso and Her Neighbors," by Nina Kelly and Alice Lee [bracketed notes by myself]:
      p. V: "Nutrioso has never been a large town, perhaps no more than 800 at any one time." [Photo of Nutrioso in 1896 is included with article.]
      p. 31: "Alpine is about 8 miles southeast of Nutrioso, elev. 8,000', at the head of the San Francisco River. It is on the SE side of the Continental Divide while Nutrioso is on the NW side of the watershed."
      pp. 37-39: "[In speaking of Willard Lee] While they were living in Clarkston, not far from Kanab, a call came for settlers for Arizona. Late in the summer of 1879, a company started for Arizona. Besides Willard Lee's family were Abner Martin [married to dau. of James Mitchel Mangum], Samuel Neuton [Newton] Adair, John Will Mangum [son of James Mitchel], James Mitchel Mangum, Charles Y. Webb, Abe Winsor, Jacob Hamblin's wife Priscilla, Lora Brown (a widow), and others joined the company as they traveled along.[I believe Samuel J. Adair was with his son Samuel N. on this trip but I cannot prove it.] The road from Kanab led across a barren expanse into the Kaibab Forest. After ascent of the Buckskin Mountains, the trail road wound in and out through the tall pines and cedar trees, then down, down, down they went as if descending into a pit. Trees were left behind. High jagged sandstone cliffs of the Colorado Plateau loomed higher and higher. Camp was made where there was water. Often this necessitated traveling far into the night. Water barrels were carried on the sides of the wagons which furnished sufficient water for domestic use. On they traveled and camped by Houserock springs. On the vermillion colored walls they etched their names and date of trip close by other names and dates of earlier travelers who had passed that way. As they continued their journey, the cliffs began to close in. Emmit Wash and Soap Creek were passed and camp made about one mile from the huge crack in the plateau where ran the mighty muddy Colorado River... Down to the Ferry crossing. The approach to Lee's Ferry was rough and lay in a hollow at the lower end of Glen Canyon. The rapid waters emerge from the canyoun upon a reef of hard rock which slows the stream where it ripples, eddies, and sparkles in its slower course approaching the rapids just below the crossing. Just below the rapids, the Paria Creek flows into the Colorado River... The large float boat was long enough to carry two wagons at one time. The boat was propelled by oars with three men. The boat was towed upstream by horses on the bank pulling it alongside the bank for a short distance then headed up the stream at an angle and driven by oars, aided by the current that forced it across to the opposite side some distance below where it started. Two rowboats were also taken up the side of the bank above the crossing and turned into the stream leading some good swimming stock to decoy the rest of the stock to the other side. With shouts and maneuvering of the boats and swimming stock the stock swam across to the south side... The rough, rocky ascent of Lee's Back Bone was crossed and down on to the rolling plains at the foot of Echo Cliffs they went. There were the hot dry rolling plains with little vegetation and the long dusty trail of the Indian Country, the land of the Navajos... The men were always alert for Indians. When the Little Colorado was reached, all were relieved... In crossing the river, some of the stock got stuck in quicksand... In the settlements of Sunset and Joseph City, they found friends who come three years before. After a few days rest, they continued on south up the Little Colorado River. The river was a slow, sluggish stream winding its way throuht the sandy bed during the hot dry summer months but was a roaring muddy torrent during floods in the upper reaches of the stream. Through the petrified trees, up and down, in and out, the trail led on and on deeper into the untamed wilderness of the high mountains of snow-covered pine trees... Most of the company remained that winter at Springerville... The next spring Willard moved up on Little Nutrioso Creek. Nutrioso was a sparsely-settled valley in June 1880... In what later became the Lower town in the newly acquired Jones Valley were... George Adair, his wife and six children, and George Jr., his wife and one child."
      pp. 51-52: "Rebecca Frances Mangum was born in Mississippi. She came to Arizona with her husband James Mitchel Mangum in 1879, then lived in at Richville for a few years. In 1883 they moved to Nutrioso. Her experiences on the frontier had given her some knowledge of medecine and home remedies. Her handloom for carpet-weaving consisted of a frame work with a roller at each end, over which the warp threads were stretched, running through a series of eyelets called heddles. The machine was four and a half feet high, the same in width, and about six feet in length. The timbers used were hardwood, about five inches square. They fastened together with wooden pins. The wool threads were drawn alternately through the warp. The rags were sewn together and wound on shuttles. After the loom was threaded with the warp, the weaver sat down and by a foot treadle lifted half the warp up so the shuttle could be sent across between the lines of warp. Then by a second treadle, the warp was lowered and the woof of the rag was pounded into place by the reed attached to a heavy part of the frame work. This process was repeated over and over until the desired number of yards were made. Many rugs and carpets were woven on this loom." [Photo of Rebecca is on page 36 and in my files.]
      pp. 52: "John Mangum (son of John and Rebecca Knowles Mangum) b. 1817, Alabama; died 1889 at Bush Valley (Alpine), Arizona. He married 1) Mary Ann Adair (daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Rebecca Brown Adair) b. 1824, Alabama; died 1898, Utah. Children and their spouses (*these couples raised families in Nutrioso):
      William Perry, MS, 1841, Sarah Booth.
      *Rebecca Frances, MS, 1843, James Mitchel Mangum.
      Laney Ann, MS, 1846, d. in 1846-47.
      Martha Elizabeth, MS, 1848, d. in 1848.
      Joseph Eslen, MS, 1850, Maria Lucinda Heath.
      John, IA, 1852, 1. Martha Ann Smith; 2) Edith Chynowith.
      *Lucinda, UT, 1854, James Wilson Wilkins.
      Cyras[Cyrus] - twin, UT, 1856, Unity Alexander.
      Harvey - twin, UT, 1856, d. young.
      *Mary Abigail, UT, 1858, William (Billy) Hamblin.
      Amy Caroline, UT, 1860, James O. Wilkins.
      Juliella, UT, 1861, d. young.
      David Newton, UT, 1862, Elizabeth Thornton.
      *Sarah Ellen, UT, 1864, Ebenezer Cherry.
      John Mangum married 2) Ellen Bardsley (daughter of William Bardsley). Children and their spouses:
      George Albert, UT, 1856, Betsy Jane Hamblin.
      Ellen, UT, 1858, d. in 1864.
      pp. 52-53 has family listing and details of John Mangum, son of John and Mary Ann Adair Mangum. See hardfile for copy.
      p. 53: "James Mitchel Mangum (son of John and Rebecca Knowles Mangum) b. 1820, Alabama; died 1888, Nutrioso, buried in St. Johns. He married 2) Rebecca Frances Mangum (dau. of John and Mary Ann Adair Mangum) b. 1843, Mississippi; d., 1928, Duncan, Arizona." children and spouses:
      Winnie Frances (Franti), UT, 1859, Abner Catlin Martin.
      James Alma, UT, 1864, d. 1870.
      Nephi, UT, 1868, d. 1868.
      Amanda Charlotte, UT, 1877, d. 1877.
      pp. 53-61 has several family listings and details of the following individuals for which I copied the pages for my hardfile [too far removed from the subjects of my files]:
      George Albert Mangum, son of John and Ellen Bardsley Mangum.
      Joseph Mangum, son of George Albert Mangum.
      Emery Kay Mangum, granddau. of George Albert Mangum.
      Cyrus Mangum, son of John and Mary Ann Adair.
      John Will Mangum, son of James Mitchel and Eliza Jane Clark Mangum.
      Ebenezer Griffen Cherry, husband to Sarah Ellen Mangum who is daughter of John and Mary Ann Adair Mangum.
      Abner Caitlin Martin, husband to Winnie Frances Mangum who is daughter of James Mitchel and Rebecca Frances Mangum Mangum.
      James Wilson Wilkins, husband to Lucinda Mangum who is daughter of John and Mary Ann Adair Mangum.
      pp. 59-60 [corrections by me]: "Samuel Neuton [Newton] Adair lived in Nutrioso 1883-1885. His father, Samuel Jefferson Adair, came to Arizona with his son, Samuel Neuton. He crossed the plains from South Carolina [Mississippi, not S.C.] to Utah in 1846 [1852, he left Nauvoo in 1846] and moved to Dixie in Southern Utah. He was a farmer. He [Samuel J.] died in Nutrioso and was buried in at St. Johns, Arizona [unproven but possible], in 1889. When Abe was about 18 months old (about 1871), he fell into a cold spring of water. After his folks got him out, his mother wrapped him in a blanket and put him to bed. The next morning his legs, from the waist down, were paralyzed. Until his death in 1933 in Luna, NM, he was unable to walk. That was over 62 years. He had a very strong back and shoulders. For years, his legs were his burro. He rode the little burro nearly every place he went. He never married but lived with his parents at Luna, NM. Theomas Jefferson was born in 1884, at Nutrioso. He lived with his parents. He went on a mission for the Mormon Church to Arkansas. After 18 months he was released because he was ill. He started home and got as far as St. Johns, AZ, July 23, 1906. He became so ill he was unable to continue n home. He died Aug. 1, 1906 at St. Johns, AZ. Samuel Neuton Adair (son of Samuel Jefferson and Jamima Catherine Mangum Adair) b. 1839 MS; died Luna, NM. He married Helen Gennett Brown (dau. of Abraham and harriet Sheldon Brown) b. 1845, Kirtland, OH; d. 1933, Luna, NM." children and their spouses:
      Charles Neuton, Washington, UT, 1865, Mary Elva Woolsey.
      Harriet Gennet, Washington, UT, Owen Washington Clark.
      Byron Abraham (Abe), Washington, UT, 1869, d. unmarried.
      Jamima Jane, Washington, UT, 1871, Wm. C. Baldwin.
      Wm. Orin, Washington, UT, d. in 1876.
      Mary Virginia, Washington, UT, John H. Petty.
      Anna Catherine, Washington, UT, James S. McFate.
      Sarah Edna, Concho, AZ, 1881, Wm. S. Laney.
      Olive Josephine - twin, Nutrioso, 1884, Charles R. Stewart.
      Thomas Jefferson - twin, Nutrioso, 1884, d. unmarried in 1906 at St. Johns.
      Marcus Owen, Luna, NM, 1886, Annie Fuentis.
      pp. 60-61: "George Washington Adair (son of Samuel Jefferson and Jamima Catherine Mangum Adair) b. 1837, Pickens County, AL, buried 1909, Hammond, NM. He married Ann Catherine Chessnutt, b. 1844, Missouri; d. 1863, Washington, Utah." Their children and spouses:
      George Washington, UT, 1861, Almira Hamblin.
      Jamima Ann, UT, 1863, Charles Henry Hale [Hales].
      George Washington Adair married 20 Emily Tyler. (The following was taken from US 1880 census on Nutrioso Creek, Apache County.) [Census follows.] George Washington Adair Sr. and George Washington Adair Jr. were both in the U.S. census of 1880 at Nutrioso, but they did not stay. They went to Alpine and stayed until Samuel Neuton Adair and his father came to Nutrioso in 1883, then George W. Jr. moved his family to Nutrioso for a few years.
      p. 61: "George Washington Adair (son of George Washington and Ann Catherine Chessnut Adair) b, 1861, Santa Clara, Utah; died 1934, Bloomfield, NM. He married Almira Hamblin (dau. of Wm. Haynes and Betsy Leavitt Hamblin) b. 1860, Gunlock, Utah; d. 1941, Mesa, AZ." children and their spouses:
      George Wm., b. on the trail before Lee's Ferry, 1880, d. in 1880 in Alpine.
      Leroy, Alpine, AZ, 1882, Martha Black.
      Don Carlas, Nutrioso, 1884, d. in 1886 in Nutrioso.
      Bertha, Nutrioso, 1886, 1) Thos. Finch; 2) John Finch.
      Clarence Duane, Nutrioso, 1888, Ruth Gardner.
      Lenor Ann, Overton, NV, 1891, d. in 1906.
      Guy R., Nutrioso, 1892, Pearl Irene FairChild, d. 1959 in Mesa but bur. in Nutrioso.
      Emily Parentha, Paria, UT, 1894 Joseph Rulon Ashcroft.
      Betsy Olive, Overton, NV, 1896, Scheyler Edward Fuller.
      Alfred Chessnutt, Price, UT, 1898, Helen Victoria Hill.
      Blanche Grace, Hammond, NM, 1900, d. in 1920, unmarried.
      p. 61: "John Wesley Adair (son of Thomas Jefferson and Rebecca Brown Adair) b. 1820, TN; died May 1903, Nutrioso, AZ. He married Rebecca Mangum, (dau. of John and Rebecca Knowles Mangum) b. 1814, TN. They did not have any Children. Rebecca (Becky) had three children by a previous husband, Joseph Adair (son of James and Rebecca Adair). John Wesley Adair was a member of the Mormon Battalion. He was a brother to Samuel Jefferson Adair. He marched from the Missouri River through Southern Arizona, to Los Angeles. After they came to Nutrioso, he would entertain the children by telling of his experiences in the Battalion and of the mobs in Nauvoo, Illinois." The children were:
      Joseph Newton, d. young.
      Rebecca Frances, m. Jeremiah Staynor.
      Lucinda, m. Orin Sherwood.
      pp. 222-223: "Judge George H. Crosby wrote a column in the St. Johns Observer for a time and among his articles was a lovely one on Nutrioso 40 years before. He called it Nutrioso As It Was." [Some quotes follow:]
      "Then there was George Adair, the best hunter of all those mountain settlements, and incidentally one who always knew all the community news. And Mrs. Lucinda Wilkins and Aunt Francis Mangum, who soon after, became widows and who have spent their lives caring for the sick - both had hearts of gold."
      pp. 251-256: Hand drawn plot and block land map with the following comments:
      "John Staniford from Alpine built Jerry Harradence's house on Block 18, Lot 2. When George Adair moved, he sold the field east of town to Jim Webb. Jim built a large barn. He sold his place to Jerry Harradence, who established a tannery south of the barn."
      "Ebb and Nell Cherry lived on Block 23 Lot 2..."
      "George and Em Adair had 6 children. They lived in the field east of Block 17. The house was a 2-room sawed dove-tailed with logs 6 inches by 10 feet. He sold to Jim Webb all of the field east of the creek when George moved to Utah [New Mexico?]. George's father lived with him. Samuel Jefferson Adair was born in 1806 in South Carolina. He died in July 1889 at Nutrioso and was buried at St. Johns. Part of the time Samuel Jefferson lived with his son Nute."
      "Wesley and Rebecca Adair lived on 9-2, a one-room log house bouth from Lime Hamblin. Wesley had been in the Mormon Battalion. He lived 20 years in Nutrioso and died in 1903."
      "James Mitchel and Frances Mangum lived on 10-2. He moved in after Joe Lewis moved away."
      "Cy and Unity Mangum lived on 10-2. When Joe Lewis moved on 10-2, he lived there about 4 years."
      " Wilson and Lucinda [Mangum] Wilkins lived on 15-4. There were 8 chidren. They moved to 10-3, a 2-room sawed log house."
      "Abner and Frances [Mangum] Martin lived on 7-4. They had 5 children. One child died with scarlet fever in 1886. Frances also lived on 14-1 and 2-3."
      "Jerry and Rebecca Adair Stayner lived on 10-1 then they moved to Watts Creek east of the Lower Town. From there they moved to 9-2, a 1-room log house. He sold to Charles Webb. Charles sold to Lime Hamblin."
      "Jim and Fred Wilkins were sons of Wilson Wilkins by a previous marriage. They were not married and lived in a 1-room log house on 10-4. Billy Hamblin built the house. Fred went ot Utah and Jim married Caroline Mangum. There were 2 houses on this lot and Jim and Fred lived in the east one. Mary Ann [Adair] Mangum and her son Neuton [Newton] lived in the west house. It was a 1-room log."

      3. "THE Mangum-Mangham-Mangrum Journal," Issue Number 56, July 2005: "INDIAN WARS PENSION (Microfilm Records of claims for service at National Archives, Washington, D.C.):
      Cyrus Mangum, Widow Sarah A. Mangum, WA-12293. UT 2 May 1917, served 1866 UT Militia Cavalry, died 29 Sept. 1896, Corrine, UT.
      James M. Mangum, Widow Rebecca F., WA-10852 AZ 8 Oct. 1909, UT Mounted Volunteers.
      John W. Mangum, SA-1577735, UT 19 Apr. 1927, Disc. 1872 UT Militia.
      John William Mangum, widow Eliza Olive, WA-1622552 AZ 18 Aug. 1928, served 1867-8 UT Militia, died 19 March 1926, Colona Juarez, Mexico.
      Joseph Mangum, Widow Mariah L., SA-16782 UT 3 July1919, WA-16298 UT 10 Feb. 1923, served 1866-71, UT Militia Cavalry, died 7 Dec. 1922 Bicknell, UT."

      1. Biographical info per the book "John Mangum, American Revolutionary War Soldier and Descendants," 1986, p. 516, by Delta Ivie Mangum Hale [see book for photos of him and his wife Mary Ann Smith]: "James Mitchell Mangum, the third child of John Mangum and Rebecca Canida Knowles, was born Jan. 6, 1820 at Springville, St. Clair Co., Alabama. He married first Eliza Jane Clark in Aug. of 1844 [no source given and I dispute date per marriage source below]. She is the daughter of Samuel Clark and Phirley or Ferrely Adair, born Aug. 11, 1827 at Green Co., Alabama. She died in 1862 [disputed, should be 1859 per source cited under her death notes]. James married second Rebecca Francis Mangum, his niece, in Aug. of 1849 [definite typo considering she would've been only 6 years old and her first child isn't born until 15 Jan 1859]. She is the daughter of John Mangum and Mary Ann Adair, born Oct. 10, 1843 at Stawambee [typo for Itawamba Co.], Alabama. She died Apr. 13, 1938 at Duncan, Greenlea [Greenlee] Co., Arizona. James married third Mary Ann Smith in 1866 at Salt Lake City, Utah. She is the daughter of Thomas Washington Smith and Sarah Ann Boren, b. Sept. 27, 1844 at Pigeon Creek, Iowa. She died June 12, 1912 at Tropic, Garfield, Co., Utah. James died Feb. 4, 1888 at Nutrioso, Apache Co., Arizona. James and Eliza had six children:
      a. Joseph Daniel, b. 1844, [Itawamba Co.?], Mississippi; d. 1846.
      b. James Harvey, b. 29 Nov 148, SLC, UT.
      c. John William, b. 14 Nov 1850, Provo, Utah, UT.
      d. Heber C., b. 7 Oct 1852, Payson, Utah, UT.
      e. Martha Jane, b. 5 May 1855, Payson, UT.
      f. Lydia An, b. 31 Aug 1857, Washington, Utah.
      James and Rebecca Francis had four children: (for a complete record see Rebecca Francis Mangum, daughter of John Mangum and Mary Ann Adair.):
      a. Winnie Frances Coley, b. 15 Jan 1859, Washington, Washington, Utah. [Kerry's note: The Coley child is most likely a child of Rebecca's first marriage - see notes below.]
      b. James Alma, b. 17 Jun 1864, Diamond Valley, Wash., Ut; d. 6 Jan 1870, Washington, UT.
      c. Nephi, b. 20 Nov 1868, Washington, UT; d. 20 Nov 1868, Washington, UT.
      d. Amanda, b. 20 Jun 1877, Washington, Utah; d. 4 Feb 1878, Washington, UT."

      2. LDS Church History Department, Iowa Branch Index, 1839-1859, Shirts Branch (except as noted), 1848-1851:
      Rebecca F. Mangum, dau. of John.
      Sarah Mangum, wife of Wm.
      Sarah F. Mangum, dau. of Wm.
      Siras Mangum, son of Wm.
      William Mangum, bro. of John.
      Caroline Mangum, dau. of Wm.
      Elmina D. J. Mangum (blessed).
      Elmina Drucila (Buoyo Branch, 1850) with the Michel Stephens family.
      Emaline Mangum, ?wife of Joseph Mangum.
      John Mangum.
      Mary Ann Mangum.
      Murthey L. Mangum (possibly Martha Elizabeth, 4th child of John)

      3. Per a manuscript, part of the "George Addison Mangum Collection," FHL film 2056025, item 5:
      " Frances Mangum, Daughter of John Mangum and Mary Ann Adair, by Fay Ollerton.
      A student of pioneer times in Mormondom often feels the sameness of the lives, especially of the women . A cursory study reveals one hardship and trial after another varied only by a different kind of test to go colonizing and sweetened only by the light of faith which seemed never to wane.
      Yet life held something deep and fine for them, even for the unknown who moved in obscure places. It was something that compensated for the seemingly barren years. Perhaps it was because they tasted more deeply of the creative spirit than most of us today; they could see in the rough trails they were marking the smooth highways of later years. Whatever it was there was a purpose in their existence. A purpose so fine that it obliterated the sorrows and made of futility a thing less than a shadow.
      One of these women who served silently in the building of our West was Rebecca Frances Mangum the second child of John Mangum and Mary Ann Adair. Born in one of the little square counties of Mississippi close to the Alabama border (she was born 10 Oct 1843 in Itawamba Co., Mississippi). Whether her parents were members of the Church when their eldest daughter was born her record does not say (note her parents joined the Church in 1845). It states only that Frances was born in 1843 and that two years later the family moved to Iowa, and that they were living there when the Mormon Battalion was mustered into service. Nine years after her birth the family had progressed as far west as Nebraska and in 1852 they started towards Deseret. (Note they lived in the Shirtses north of Kanesville, Iowa, for a time and were probably present when Oliver Cowdery came back to the Church. Several families were left to raise crops for future families coming through. The Mangums were with these families.)
      Like all the years of pioneer migration, the summer of 1852 was a hard one. Little Frances was to become so inured to suffering and privation that she regarded them as part of life. She walked most of the way to Payson, Utah, though she was not yet nine years of age. The sight of the dead (cholera then was raging) wrapped in their cottonwood bark burial clothes and the war whoops of the Indians became common things as she plodded along the sunflower trail.
      Once in Utah Frances' odyssey had barely begun. She was to live the rest of her life in obscure places watching the sparse green fields make inroads against the silver sage, and to see church spires and crude school houses reared where the Indians and rattlesnakes had lately held sway. From Payson the family soon moved to Nephi, where for the next few years the pioneer girl was to see with interested eyes her men folk erecting a ten foot mud wall about the little town as a protection against the Indians.
      In 1857 when the pioneers were resting with some security behind their fortress, Brigham Young issued a call for intrepid families to go farther South in Dixieland and cultivate cotton. John Mangum ever willing for new ventures responded.
      Frances was almost a woman grown now and must do a woman's work. (Not nearly 14 years old.) One of her first duties was the getting of cottonseed. There was no gin then and the girl must labor at the tedious process of separating the thick seed from the cotton and then have John Mangum pay 25 cents a pound for the finished product. Later in the season when the cotton lay like snow on the brown stalks she picked it, then wove and spun it into dress material for the sons and daughters of Zion.
      Courtship, like hardships, came early but did not last so long; it was commonplace for a girl to be married in her early teens. In the year 1857 she met Gabriel Coley, presumably from Texas since Frances' record states that he returned there. In April 1858 in the frirst bloom of a Dixie spring they were married by Apostle Amasa Lyman. Within a year their only child Winnie Frances was born, but the added burden proved too much for Gabriel; and with one gesture he forsook both his family and church for what he consdered the easier life in Texas.
      The next year Frances married James Mitchell Mangum. Three children all of whom died in infancy were born to them. Frances must have felt some peace and stability for they lived continuously in the southland until 1869, when she and James were called to pioneer Kanab. They were ten years among the red hills and the cedars ["adobes" in a different account] before they followed the Mormon Trail to Arizona and Apache Country. Old Geronimo was on the war path with his cruel braves and Frances was to feel once more the excitement and torment of earlier years.
      In 1888 James Mangum died. For a few years she struggled against ill health and poverty. Her old spirit and energy returned for she was needed in the little settlements of Apache Co. Four years before her husband's death, Bishop Benjamin Noble knowing full well her sturdy qualities, her gentleness with the sick and her intelligence, set her apart as a midwife. If her calling previous to this time had been to pioneer the waste places hereafter she was to aid souls into the places she had prepared for them. Night or day for years she was subject to call in the little town where she lived or over perilous mountain paths. All in all with no special aid she brought more than four hundred infants into the world and her fees for all of them would scarcely pay one child's entry into life in the year 1931.
      She was not destined to spend her days peacefully in the home her husband had reared for her. It was in 1897 that her daughter Winne's husband died leaving her a legacy of nine children. When Frances was not in the sick room, she was sewing and weaving and turning almost any kind of honest task into money for her grandchildren. In 1917 she packed her household goods and moved again this time to Central, a little town in the eastern part of Arizona.
      Ten years of this and she made her last journey to Duncan, a tiny place where she was to spend her last days with her daughter and an unmarried grandson. Duncan was not far as miles go from her first Utah homes, but she was to feel that an eternity of experience separated the two.
      She died when she was 85 years old (13 Apr 1928) still in possession of her mental faculties and of her zest for life and her faith in the Church that had led her from river land of the Old South to the dry spaces of the West.
      Rebecca Frances' second husband lost his first wife Eliza Jane Clark in 1862. Rebecca married to him in August 1959 so she was a polygamous wife [and] so she had to mother his six children." [Kerry's note: Eliza actually died in 1859.]

      1. FHL Film 2456: "Early LDS Church Membership Records for Nutrioso, Arizona": Record of the Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Nutrioso Ward, St. Johns Stake of Zion. Page 20 entries: No numbering but this group together:
      John Wesley Adair; father: Thomas Adair; mother Rebecca Brown; b. 18 Feb 1821 at Green Co., Alabama; first baptized Dec 1844 by James Richey; first confirmed Dec 1844 by J. Richey; ordained to 26 Quorum of Seventies Sep 1845 by William McBride; rebaptized Mar 1857 by Bp. Covington; reconfirmed 1857 by Harrison Pierce.
      Rebecca, father: John Mangum; mother: Rebecca Knowles; b. 10 Aug 1814 at Giles Co., Tennessee; first baptized Nov. 1845 by R? Mathews; first confirmed Nov 1845 by Gibson; rebaptized Dec 1847; reconfirmed Dec. 1847.
      James Mitchell Mangum; father: John Mangum; mother: Rebecca Knowles; b. 6 Jan 1820 at Springville, St. Clair, Alabama; first baptized 1844 by A. ?undin; first confirmed by Bryant Knowlin; ordained 3 May 1885 by Joseph Young into 17 Quorum Seventies; rebaptized 1848; reconfirmed 1848 by A. Covington.
      Rebecca Frances Mangum; father: John Mangum; mother: Mary Ann Adair; b. 10 Oct 1843 at Ettawamba, Mississippi; first baptized 14 Feb 1851; first confirmed 14 Feb 1851 by J.J. Bigler; rebaptized Jan 1876 by J. Hamblin; reconfirmed Jan 1876 by L. ?. Nuttall.
      Orson B. Arnold; father: Thomas Arnold; mother Hannah Brewin; b. 10 Feb 1857 at Sheephead,, England; first confirmed 6 Sep 1888 by Hyrum Chapman.

      4. indicates the following individuals were part of the William West Lane Company of 1852 in travelling the Mormon Pioneer Overland Trail to Salt Lake City. Departure was 24 June 1852 with arrival in Salt Lake Valley 24 Sep. 1852. Approximately fifteen families who had lived since spring 1851 at a welfare "poor farm" forty miles north of Kanesville, Iowa, called Lanesborough, were organized into this company under the leadership of their bishop, William West Lane. Those included in the company of John Mangum's family:
      John Mangum (35)
      Mary Ann Adair Mangum (29)
      William Perry Mangum (10)
      Rebecca Francis Mangum (8)
      Joseph Eslem Mangum (1)
      John Wesley Mangum (Infant)
      Sariah Mangum (36). Died 5 Jul 1852 enroute. (Sarah or Sally Adair - sister-in-law to John, married to his brother William.)

      A. The following is a trail excerpt of this company. The source of Trail Excerpt: Clark, Davis, Autobiography, in Erold Clark Wiscombe, The Descendants of Maria Burr, John Clark and William West Lane, [1975], 12-14. Read Trail Excerpt: In the early spring of 1852, Apostles Orson Hyde and Ezra T. Benson came to the Grove and counselled all to move to the Salt Lake Valley. Bishop Lane acted accordingly and on the 24th of June 1852 the Clark-Lane families crossed the Missouri River to head west.
      Bishop Lane was in charge of the 51st Company with Jacob Bigler and Lorenzo Johnson as counselors. The group traveled only a few days when cholera broke out in camp and several died. Bishop Lane was stricken ill and the camp halted at Look [Loup] Fork for two days to allow him to recover. He felt somewhat better, so the company moved on. Three days later Davis' mother, Maria Lane, became ill with the cholera. She became sick about 9 o'clock in the morning after the company had started. They had to keep moving to reach the next water spot but the wearisome journey proved too much for her in this condition and she passed away at 4 p.m. that afternoon, 5 July 1852. This was on Davis' 20th birthday. The family peeled the bark off from a cottonwood tree to make a coffin for her. She was buried along the trail three days journey west of Loop [Loup] Fork.
      For the second time Bishop Lane had become a widower. The next day the wagon train moved on, but Bishop Lane's condition grew worse. On the 8th of July, just three days after the death of his wife, he too died. The train took some good boxes and patched them together to make a coffin for him. Twelve others, besides Bishop Lane and his wife, died of the cholera. Two other men were shot by Indians.
      Davis now found himself the foster father of a younger sister and brother, Flora and Enoch; four step sisters (Children of Bishop Lane by his first wife); and five little half sisters, the eldest 10 years and the youngest barely three years old. A family of 12 at the age of 20, and not even a wife to assist him. The four step sisters were cared for by others, but he continued to bring the five half sisters on to Utah.
      One morning after turning the cattle loose to graze, the Indians slipped down a ravine, and between the stock and camp and stampeded the herd, and fired at the guard. They ran to camp. We had just fourteen horses in camp that had not been turned out. We armed ourselves and mounted as quickly as possible, by this time we could see nothing but a cloud of dust in the distance. We pursued them and overtook them some eight or ten miles away. Some of the weaker stock had given out and laid down.
      We attacked the Indians and fired on them, and they on us; we chased them away and started back with the cattle. We had to leave some on the way that gave out. No water, and the day was very hot. We got back to camp late; there was considerable anxiety in camp till we got back.
      In a few more days we reached game country, plenty of antelope and buffalo. Often we would see hundreds in sight. The people in camp wanted some meat, and I had a good horse, so five men went out and chased buffalo several hours and returned to camp without any. I went out after they returned and killed one bull. They took out several yoke of oxen and dragged the buffalo into camp. After that I kept the company well supplied while passing through the country. Buffalo were now starting to get scarce. I saw one lone bull a mile away. I rode after it and killed it on the bank of a small stream called Le Bout [La Bonte]. I dismounted to take out the tongue, as I usually did, as it was considered a dainty. While in the act, I heard a whoop, and looking up, I saw four Indians on ponys coming lively. I mounted without fear, thinking I could out run them, looking back I saw that I was gaining on them, then I saw some fifteen or twenty more Indians had ridden around the hill and got in front of me. The river was east of me some two or three hundred yards. I made a dash for it, thinking to plunge in, but when I got there I dared not, the banks were too high and boulders below, and the current was too swift. In a moment or two I was surrounded. They were armed with bows and arrows, spears and tomahawks. They drew their weapons and made motions as if they were going to chop me to pieces. I noticed they pulled the arrows to head, would let the strings fly and hold on to the arrow. I could not understand a word of their lingo.
      They took me five or six miles to their camp on the bank of a creek. Their squaws were drying and smoking buffalo meat, spread on scaffolds made of willows. Some of the boys and squaws unsaddled our horses and took them away. The Indians pulled me along with them into a big tent. Some squaws brought in some kettles of boiled buffalo meat. They went to eating and motioned for me to eat also. I did not feel very hungry just then. Soon after, a person came in, I did not know whether he was an Indian or White man. He looked a bit like both. He had on a buckskin coat fringed and beaded, pants made of scotch plaid, a hat on his head and moccasins on his feet.
      He asked me in English how I came to be there. I told him the circumstances. He said he was part French and lived with the Indians. They were Arapahoes out on a buffalo hunt. I asked him what they were going to do with me, but he said he did not know. He did not seem to be very communicative. He asked me if there was any whiskey or brandy in our train. It happened that we had supplied ourselves with a ten gallon keg of brandy and a ten gallon keg of whisk[e]y at Kanesville before starting. An idea struck me that I might make some of that useful in getting back to camp. I told him we had some, but it was locked in a big box in the wagon I drove and slept in. I gave him to understand if he would go with me to camp, I would let him have some. In several hours three ponies and my horse were saddled and bridled and my gun was given to me. They told me to get on and go the [sic] our camp. He mounted one pony and two Indians on the other two. We reached our camp just as it was getting dark. The folks in the camp were getting quite anxious about me. I gave them some whiskey to drink and gave the Frenchman a bottle to take away.
      The next morning the teams were all hitched up just ready to pull out, when some forty or fifty Indians rode up in war paint and armed. Mr. Frenchman came inside of the circle of wagons and acted as the interpreter. The Indians wanted salt, sugar, blankets, shirts, and whiskey. They demanded a certain amount of each for passing through their country. The Indians were all mounted. They were spread in a circle a few yards outside the circle of wagons. They streached over half way around the wagons. The Frenchman stood just at the end of the wagon tongue. I stood on the front rounds of the wagon where I could reach my gun.
      Some of the men in camp did not want to comply with their demands. There was some back talk. The Indians commenced going through warlike maneuvers, and some of them had done the same thing they did to me before. Some of the men were getting nervous and the women quite frightened. I too got nervous, grabbed my gun, cocked it drawn down on the Frenchman. I told him if he moved I would shoot him. He saw that I had the drop on him. I told him he could not move from where he was at until the Indians left. Some of the men remonstrated with me for my foolhardiness, but by this time we were all excited. I had gone so far now that I dared not retract. The Frenchman jabbered with the Indians a little while, then they rode off about two hundred yards and bunched up. I then let the Frenchman go.
      The Indians disappeared over the hill. We did not move camp for some time. We finally pulled out with great caution, with every man's gun ready. The guard was doubled for several nights for fear of an attack by the Indians. Several nights some Indians crept close to camp to steal horses. The horses snorted, one of the guards walked toward the Indians, and got shot by them. He died after reaching the valley. Nothing more of note occurred and we reached Salt Lake City on the 24th day of Sept. 1852."

      B. "Trail excerpt with deaths of Elizabeth and Sariah Mangum noted. Source of Trail Excerpt: Gardner, Benjamin, Notebook 1851-1862. Excerpt: "June the 13th 1852 the North Pigeon Company was organized under the direction of E T Benson[,] Benjamin Gardner was appointed Captain of the Company it being the tenth fifty[;] Jude Allen was appointed Capted [Captain] of the guard and Joseph Nichlas [Nicholas] assistant[.] Beverly C Boren was apointed Clerk[.] Crost Misourie [Missouri] river on the 21[st] of June[.] by request of Elder Benson A P Chesley remained there also on the 29 Lorenzo Jo[h]nson[,] JC Hall[,] Agrip[p]a Coopper [Cooper] and Br Read returned to the river order of E T Benson as guard[.] they was furnished with fore [four] horses[,] guns[,] provision June 30 Brother Larson died[.] Emaly [Emily] Marinda Jo[h]nson died the 29[th] aged 2 years[,] 9 months and Elizabeth Marrinda Mangum died on the 30th aged 1 year[,] & 9 mo[,] 8 9 day[s] and Sariah Mangum on the 5th of July aged 36 y[,] 11 mon[,] 27 days[;] on the 5th Mariah Lane aged 46 years [;] on the 8th William Lane aged 55 years [;] on the 11th Alfred Hunt 5 years[,] 4 m[,] 11 days[;] on the 12 LouCrecia [Lucretia] Jane Boren aged 1 year 10 months[,] 2 days[.] The only daughter of B C and M.J. Boren and on William Francis Beal on the 12th aged 2 years[,] 5 months[,] 3 days and on the 16 Hosea Berian Boren aged 12 years[,] 7 mon[,] 11 days and on the 19th Catharine Wilson aged 2 years[,] 7 m[,] 16 days[,] and on the 29th Jude Allen Juneyer [Junior] aged 1 year[,] 1 month[,] 4 days on the 7th of July Lorenzo Jo[h]nson and J C Hall returned to the Company and on the [illegible] night of the 24th of July A P Chesley and Agrippa Coopper [Cooper] returned in Company with E T Benson[,] John Taylor[,] Erastus Snow and [blank space] Richards and others and on the 25th A meeting was held and much instruction given after which E.T. Benson consider it wisdom to divide the Company[.] Lorenzo Jo[h]nson was apointed to take Charge of the 2th [2nd] division subject to the orders of Cpt g[u]ard then on the 8th of August the first and 2th [2nd] division encamped near to geather[.] the Captains of the tens were Cald in Council with regard to Crossing on the south side of the river[.] after Consulting a few minutes it was motioned by B.C. Boren and Second[ed] by Allen Russel[l] that they we remained on the north side of the river[.] the vote were thence Caled and susttained unianimos [unanimous]"

      1. FHL film 392669 "LDS Patriarchal Blessings Index", three blessings:
      A. Rebecca Frances Mangum, b. 10 Oct 1843 at Itawamba Co., Mississippi, parents John and Mary Ann Adair. Blessing date 25 Dec 1855 at Nephi, Utah. Lineage: Ephraim. Patriarch William Cazier. Vol. 137, p. 112.
      B. Rebecca Frances Mangum, b. 10 Oct 1843 at Flambo Co., Mississippi, parents John and Mary Ann Adair. Blessing date 25 Dec 1855 at Nephi City, Utah. Lineage: Ephraim. Patriarch Isaac Morley. Vol. 15, p. 98.
      C. Rebecca Frances Mangum, b. 10 Oct 1843 at Itawamba Co., Mississippi, parents John and Maryan Adair. Blessing date 25 Dec 1855 at Nutrioso, Apache Co., Arizona. Patriarch James Richey. Vol. 388, p. 84.

      1. Per undated handwritten note of Glenn H. Martin and Wealthy Bigler Martin of Gilbert, AZ, included on FHL film 2056025, item 5, George Addison Mangum collection of his research notes: "Aunt Rebecca Frances Mangum daughter of John Mangum Jr. and Mary Ann Adair oldest child to live born 10 Oct 1843 married Mr. Coley [Gabriel Reynolds Coley] who deserted her and baby Winnie Frances, then she married her Uncle James Mitchel Mangum, born 1820. Winnie Frances was adopted by James Mitchel and she married Abner C. Martin in Utah then moved to Arizona." A daughter of the Coley marriage, Winnie Frances Coley, b. 15 Jan 1859, Washington, Washington, Utah, would indicate a marriage sometime after late 1858. Some undocumented family group sheets do indicate a marriage date of Aug 1859. New Family Search accessed 24 Mar 2012 shows "temple" marriage: 2 Apr 1858 "OTHER".

      1. Per LDS archival family family group sheet prepared by Mrs. Rula M. Robinson of Arizona.

      2. Per online image of death certificate at website Arizona death certificate no. 140, Rebecca Francis Mangum, resident for 4 months at Duncan, Greenlee, AZ, d. 13 Apr 1928 at 12 pm due to apoplexy, widow of James Mangum (died), age 85 y 6 m 4 d, no occupation, b. at Itwamba, Mississippi, no parents listed, informant was Jesse B. Martin,

      1. Family Tree accessed 23 Mar 2013.

      1. FHL film 2056023-2056026, especially film 5 which contains Mangum-Adair materials. Title is "George Addison Mangum's Genealogical Collection" which is his lifetime work donated to library in 1998; he was born in Utah in 1922, of Blackfoot, ID and is perhaps a brother to Ivey Mangum Hale. Brief summary includes: 2056023, item 1, book of remembrance; item 2, surname index of changes and volumes; item 3, Person materials; 2056024, items 3 thru 6 and 2056026, Mangum/Adair materials. Included are many family group sheets of sidelines and downlines, many of them unconnected.

      2. FHL Film 1697868 and book "The Mangums of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Utah, and Adjoining States," by John T. Palmer, Ph.D. Santa Rosa, CA 95409, 1993, 3rd ed.

      3. Nauvoo LDS Land and Records Office research file (copy in my possession as of 2 Jun 2007 and also partially viewable at Includes family group sheet from Ancestral File.