Corneliass or Cornelius Phelps

Male 1698 - 1760  (62 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Corneliass or Cornelius Phelps 
    Born 5 Mar 1698  Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 15/16 Aug 1760  Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2105  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 21 Jan 2014 

    Father Timothy Phelps,   b. 1 Nov 1663, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1719, Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 55 years) 
    Mother Martha Crow,   b. Abt May 1670, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 4 Nov 1686  Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F1033  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Margarit Dewey or Duey,   b. 11 Dec 1701, Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 18 Jan 1721/1722  Hebron Township, Tolland, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F1109  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. The book "The Phelps Family of America and their English Ancestors," comp. by Oliver Seymour Phelps of Portland, Oregon and Andrew T. Servin of Lenox, Massachusetts, 1899, pp. 107-108:
      "Timothy Phelps, b. Windsor, CT., 1 Nov, bp. 8 Nov 1663, m. Martha Crow, 4 Nov 1686, dau. of Christopher and Mary Crow. She died in Hebron, CT. Mr. Phelps resided in Windsor, CT., up to 1690, when with his younger brother Nathaniel, then unmarried, he removed to Hebron, CT., though that town was not incorporated till 1708. He was one of the first selectmen on its organization. His brother Joseph removed there later. Mr. Phelps died in Hebron, CT. Children born in Hebron, CT:
      I. Martha, b. 29 Oct 1690.
      II. Timothy, b. 29 Jan 1692-3, m. Hannah Calkins.
      III. Noah, b. 23 Jan 1694, m. Ann Dyer.
      IV. Cornelius, b. 5 Mar 1698, m. Margaret Dewey.
      V. Charles, b. 26 Jul 1702, m. Hepsibah Stiles.
      VI. Ashbel, b. 1704, m. Ann Pinney.
      VII. Hannah, b. 1705, m. Benjamin Smith, pub. 29 Jan 1725. He was born in Springfield. Res. Springfield."

      2. Henry R. Stiles, "The History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut," 1892, v. 2, p. 567: "Timothy Phelps (son of Lt. Timothy, g.son of William), resided a few years in Windsor; removed to Hebron abt. 1690 with his younger bro. Nath'l, then unmarried; was one of the first selectmen chosen at the org. of that town in 1708, and a prominent man in Hebron, where he died 28 Sep 1768 [Kerry's note: If this death date is correct, he would have been 105 years old, which seems unlikely]. He m. 4 Nov 1686, Martha Crow, who died at Hebron. Children (b. at Hebron):
      A. Martha, b. 29 Oct 1690.
      B. Timothy, b. 29 Jan 1692-3.
      C. Noah, b. 23 Jan 1693/4, m. Ann Dyer.
      D. Cornelius, b. 5 Mar 1698, m. Margaret Dewey, 18 Jan 1722.
      E. Charles, b. 26 Jul 1702. - 'Hebron Town Rec.'
      F. Ashbel, b. 1704, m. Anne Pinney, 9 Nov 1731.
      G. Hannah, b. 1705, m. Benjamin Smith; sett. in Springfield."

      3. From the book "Our Town's Heritage, 1708-1958, Hebron, Connecticut," by John Sibun, 1975, Connecticut State Historical Society:
      "The first white men to settle in town were Timothy Phelps and William Shipman, who arrived in Hebron from Windsor in June 1704. The area, then a wilderness, was used by the Indians as a hunting ground, and the few white men who knew of its existence passed through to other locations. The first two houses were located along Route 85 south of today's center. Approximately on what is now the Hilding driveway, Shipman built his homestead and Phelps constructed his home across the road on the land now owned by the Porter family. It is possible they worked on their property during the summer months only for the first two years, and returned to their families in Windsor when winter set in.
      The settlers had some prior knowledge of what to expect before they arrived, as the land had been scouted years before but never occupied. Like so much territory on which Connecticut towns were founded, Hebron's land was owned originally by the Indians. However, in the case of Hebron, it was obtained not by seizure or conquest, but legally, in the form of a legacy drawn up by Joshua, Sachem of the Western Nehantics…
      …Hebron became an incorporated town in May 1708 with nine families living within its boundaries.
      Up until then, Lebanon excepted, towns had been named for their English counterparts and Hebron was the second Biblical name used in Connecticut. No one is certain how or why the name of Hebron came to be used. It may have been named by a scholar of the Bible, for it was apt in that its Hebrew origin meant a settlement created by people coming from diverse directions. There are numerous Hebrons in the United States, and the one in Nova Scotia was founded by people from Hebron, Connecticut, who were Tory "refugees." The original Hebron in Palestine was old in Abraham's day and is believed to be one of the two oldest cities in the world.
      The first settlers in Hebron included Shipmans, Roots, Sawyers, Posts, Tillotsons, Palmers, Curtis, and two families of Phelps. Filers, Jones, Youngs, and Trumbulls were also among the very earliest families.
      Probably the first spot named in the area was Prophet's Rock in use even before the name of Hebron. Prophet's Rock, located on the Smith property on Burrows Hill Road, is really two pieces of granite which look as though one large mass had been cleaved down the middle. It stands on the brow of the highest point around with one stone slightly larger and higher than the other. Each part of the rock has an overhang where one can huddle snugly from the rain and wind, and a sheltered place where a fire can be lighted. It is easy to see why Indians probably used the rock for refuge and observation when on the trail. When man was not there, it became a natural lair for the hunted animal or one sheltering itself from the noonday sun.
      Here in 1706, so legend has it, the wives of Shipman and Phelps came to find their husbands. One evening the two original settlers heard strange sounds echoing across the valley, and an investigation revealed their families standing on the rock calling for them. It is conjecture whether they really could be heard. Be that as it may, the men were overjoyed to be reunited with their families. Martha Crow Phelps thought her place was with her husband and on her own initiative had resolved the situation. Bringing with her the goods that would make life in a virgin area more bearable, she camped along the way as the trip apparently took a few days. It is said she did not hurry, but negotiated the rough going stoically, clutching her Bible to herself as she lay down in the shelter of rocks and rested under fallen trees. Born in Windsor 36 years before, it could not have been an easy decision to make the journey, for Martha's mother had "disappeared" many years before when she had set out on a like journey to seek her husband.
      Hebron is the 41st oldest town in the state and its very early origin can be shown by the fact that the Mayflower had arrived at Plymouth a bare 80 years before the first white men came to the region. For many people this magic date, to all intents and purposes, marks the start of the country's history. During the 1600's Plantations were founded in areas such as Saybrook, Hartford, Windsor, and Wethersfield which were accessible by waterways. It was not until later that inland towns, such as Hebron, came into being.
      The 17th century was a time when the Indians in Connecticut chose sides and either fought for, or against, the white man. The Pequot tribe, which alone outnumbered the Englishmen, was one of the biggest and fiercest bands which roamed the countryside and frequently plundered the tiny colonies. Eventually, with the aid of other tribes, notably the Mohegans of Saybrook who hunted up through Hebron, the white man gradually brought lasting peace to the Connecticut countryside.
      Before 1704 there was nothing to distinguish Hebron from the rest of this part of New England. Deer and other wild game roamed across a brush wilderness, slept in the caves, and sunned themselves on the great slabs of rock which dotted the countryside. Hunting the game to provide food and clothing, Indians from the local tribes hurried along the trails that had been blazed up from the shore line. Hebron was laced with these paths. The town area, as we know it now, probably did not support a regular large community of Indians, but from time to time, may have had isolated small resident groups.
      In addition to hunting, the Indians used the area for a little seasonal farming. Each spring, the tribes would send some of their members to take possession of large inland hillsides suitable for growing corn. To clear the land quickly, vegetation was burned to the ground. Other Indians arrived with seed corn and ground fish porgies for fertilizer, and after the planting was completed, returned to their shore line homes. At the end of the summer the Indians collected their harvest. Some of it was used on the spot for a big celebration feast complete with dances around a corn stalk fire. The festivities over, the Indians headed for the shore with a corn supply which they hoped would last them through the long winter months ahead. Indians still used Burnt Hill, situated next to the Hebron road of that name, for growing corn long after the first white men came, but gradually the settler edged the red man out of his use of this type of land.
      Very little, if any, trouble occurred between the first local Hebron settlers and the Indians. But in the first few decades when there was general unrest in the state, some residents took to sleeping in a Block House which was situated near the site of the old Brick School and what is now the junction of Route 85 and the Old Colchester Road.
      In 1705, the Connecticut General Assembly authorized John Pritchard and John Plumb to survey the five mile tract (what is now part of the eastern and southern sides of Lebanon), the boundaries to be marked on convenient rocks. These markers remain; the one in Goshen bears the legend LVMC (for Lebanon Five Mile Corner). Many years ago, Clarence Bissell led a small party to rediscover the Hebron "L Rock." They set off from what is now Archie Green's house and located a flat rock three quarters of a mile from the southwest corner of Amston Lake; the chiseled "L" was still legible.
      The "town fathers" also established laws at this time with which to govern the community. The first complete record of Town Officers was made in December 1709 when a town clerk, constable, 3 townsmen, surveyor of highways, and a lister were elected. It was voted that a diamond would be the town brand for cattle, and a certain white oak centrally located, was designated as the town's notice board. Initially, town meetings were held in various private homes. At this time, the primary business at meetings was that of establishing a church.
      An early town law stated that no timber, wood, hay, or stone could be transported out of town. This was to ensure that the community did not experience any shortages in its attempt to become self-sufficient. In 1710 the state was petitioned to allow the town the right to tax the land within its boundaries.
      There are few details of the first town meeting which was held on September 20, 1708, at which Timothy Phelps was elected Town Clerk. Another Phelps, Nathaniel, was "elected" in 1712 to be the town's first innkeeper. It appears that enough visitors were passing through the village to warrant such action. His tavern was situated near the Colchester line…
      …It is very hard to find a time in the town's history when a Jones was not in residence. The oldest family grave- stones go back to 1775, but Joneses were in town long before that time. Many of them were soldiers including Ezekiel Jones who had been a drummer boy in the Revolution. Several towns in the state have a Jones family, and it is safe to say probably in many cases their ancestors came from Hebron many years before. Not only is there a street called after the prolific Jones family in Hebron, but there is a cemetery on that street named for them. For many years, they gathered once a year to put the cemetery grounds in order and at the same time have a picnic where everyone was brought up to date on the news of all branches of the family.
      One Hebron Jones, Joel, found that being a principal citizen of the village had its drawbacks. In the late 18th century, he spent some time imprisoned in Tolland jail after the town was unable to pay its county taxes. This was one way the law could be enforced to collect taxes, but para- doxically, a sure way that a person could gain the respect of his fellow citizens…"
      [Included with this article is a line drawing depicting "Martha Crow Phelps seeks her husband, with her on the "Prophet's Rock." Also there is a photo of the rock. Also included is a copy of a township map drawn in 1744 by Isaac Pinney with the original in the Connecticut State Library Ecclesiastical Vol. VII. The map lists the following Phelps: Esq. Phelps, Capt. Phelps, N. Phelps, C. Phelps, Noah Phelps, S. Phelps, and Phelps. The Phelpses are generally clustered to the east of the township center and approximately a third of the way up from the bottom of the township. There is only one "Jones" listed and that is on the western edge approximately 2 miles up from the southern border. This was John Jones' residence at which time he would have been a teenager in the household. There is still a Jones Street and Pond at the old location of the Jones. There is also a Jones Cemetery. Also listed are three "Porters" just to the west of the Phelps.]

      1. Website 4 Sep 2007 The Douglas Library in Hebron, Connecticut has "Town of Hebron Vital Records: Barbour Collection 1708-1854," p. 97:
      "Corneliass Phelps, s. Timothy, b. Mar. 5, 1698, v. 1, p. 71."

      1. Website 4 Sep 2007 The Douglas Library in Hebron, Connecticut has "Town of Hebron Vital Records: Barbour Collection 1708-1854," p. 97:
      "Cornelas Phelps, m. Marg[a]rit Duey, Jan. 18,1721/2, v. 1, p. 65."

      1. Website 4 Sep 2007 The Douglas Library in Hebron, Connecticut has "Town of Hebron Vital Records: Barbour Collection 1708-1854," p. 97:
      "Cornelius Phelps, d., Aug. 15, 1760, v. 2, p. 337."
      "Cornelius Phelps, d., Aug. 16, 1760, v. 2, p. 337."