Chris & Julie Petersen's Genealogy

Thomas Michael Wallace

Male 1829 - 1894  (65 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas Michael Wallace 
    Born 25 Jan 1829  Barony, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 15 Apr 1894  Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 18 Apr 1894  Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I21  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 11 Feb 2018 

    Family 1 Mary Ann Burnhope,   b. 24 Apr 1835, Hexham, Northumberland, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Oct 1918, Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years) 
    Married 9 Apr 1859  Gateshead, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 18 Apr 2021 
    Family ID F5  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Elvira or Alvira Stowell,   b. 12 Sep 1856, Brigham's Fort, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Oct 1876, Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 20 years) 
    Married 10 Feb 1873  Salt Lake City, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 18 Apr 2021 
    Family ID F22  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1841 Scotland: Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, address Kerr Street,
      William Calder, 30, Cotton Weaver
      Jean Calder, 30
      Ann Calder, 10
      William Calder, 8
      James Calder, 6
      Jean Calder, 4
      John Calder, 9
      John McFastone, 18, Cotton Weaver.
      Jean Robb, 18, Cotton Weaver.
      Hugh McEwan, 13, Appr. Weaver.
      Alexander Joel, 12, Appr. Weaver.
      Thomas Wallace, 11, Appr. Weaver.
      Joseph Brown, 10, Appr. Weaver.

      1851 Scotland: Glasgow St. Mungo, Lanarkshire, Scotland, 291 Castle Street:
      Mrs. Fagan, 50.
      Elizabeth Fagan, 19.
      Peter Fagan, 7.
      Isabella Cowan, 14.
      Rebecca Camagham, 30.
      Mary Camagham, 10.
      William Camagham, 15,
      Stuart Campbell, 26.
      Thomas Wallace, 22, visitor, b. Glasgow, Larnark, Hand loom cotton weaver.

      1880 US: North Ogden, Weber, Utah, NA film T9-1339, p. 496B:
      Thomas Wallace, clerk in hardware store, M, 52, Scot, Scot, Scot.
      Mary Ann, keeping house, wife, M, 44, Eng Eng Eng.
      Elizabeth C., S 15, UT, Scot, Eng.
      William L., son, 5, UT, Scot, UT.
      Joseph, son, 2, UT, Scot, UT.
      Mary Ann, dau., 2, UT, Scot, UT.
      Nellia Morrison, other, S, 9, Eng Eng Eng.

      2. Parents are Robert Wallace and Nancy Egan. May have had middle name of Michael but I have not seen it on any official or private documents concerning Thomas.

      1. See detailed obituaries cited below.

      2. Source not cited but appears to be some type of LDS membership record index for Thomas Wallace:
      Born at Glasgow, Scotland, 25 Jan 1829.
      Baptized by Robert Scott 7 Oct 1849.
      Confirmed by Robert Scott 15 Oct 1849.
      Ordained a Teacher by Neil Brogan 8 Apr 1850.
      Ordained a Priest by Neil Brogan 8 Sep 1850.
      Ordained an Elder by Joseph Clement and George B. Wallace 22 Apr 1851.
      Married to Mary Ann Burnhope 9 Apr 1859 by Joseph Stanford at Gateshead, England.
      Endowed at Salt Lake City: 20 Dec 1862.
      Patriarchal Blessing by John Smith: 10 May 1868.
      Mission to Dumfrieshire, Scotland went: 22 Apr 1851.
      Returned from Mission: 1861.
      Migrated from England to Utah, U.S.A.: 1861.
      Avocation: Weaver.
      Height 5 ft. 8 in., weight 140, chest size 34.
      Color of eyes: Blue; Color of hair: Black.
      General condition of health: poor.
      Specially interested in religion.
      Died of heart failure at Ogden, Utah 15 Apr 1894.
      Important events, etc.:
      Set apart as Traveling Elder: 22 Apr 1851.
      Reseased as Traveling Elder: 1861.
      Ordained a High Counselor by Wilford Woodruff and George Q. Cannon: 9 Apr 1871.
      Ordained a High Priest: 11 Jul 1883.
      Went to Logan Temple and was adopted to Franklin Dewy Richards the Apostle: 13 Jul 1886.
      Also included under important events:
      Jane Burnhope Spense, daughter of Isaac Burnhope and Elizabeth Charlton, born 17 Jan 1840 at East Boldon, Durham Co., Eng., died at American Fork 28 Apr 1865. Thomas and Mary A. Burnhope Wallace reed 2nd 14 Jul 1886. Elvira Stowell reed 2nd 14 Jul 1886. Mary A. Burnhope Wallace Proxy.

      3. Copy of holographic letter on file with me: "Ogden City, April 23rd 1883. M.A. Wallace, North Ogden, Weber County. My Dear Wife, Tomorrow brings the anniversary of your birth day. I would be pleased to celebrate it in a pleasant and social manner, but, you know that this year we have many obstacles in the way and therefore you will please accept the will at this time, 'for the deed.' You will live to celebrate, in good style, some future return of your 'birthday' among many friends under happier conditions than the present if my wish is granted. Now, I will say peace be to your spirit - May the lamp of life shed its full light upon you, may the voice of peace always be heard in your home and find a full response in your heart. May plenty always crown your board and abundance flow to your friends; above all, may the Spirit of Truth dwell in you and manifest its riches in your life!!! Bless our Children, cheer our friends, help the needy, strengthen the weak, cheer the sick, comfort the bereaved, shelter the homeless and God will repay you. Your husband, affectionately, Thomas Wallace."

      4. Copy of notarized affidavit signed Sep. 19, 1887 on file with me wherein Thomas Wallace states his full name as Thomas Wallace, age 58, living in North Ogden, Weber, Utah and that his lawful wife is Mary Ann Wallace, and that he will faithfully obey the US Constitution and the March 22, 1882 and March 3, 1887 Congressional Acts dealing with polygamy, unlawful cohabitation, incest, adultery, and fornication. This was conditional for him to serve as Weber County selectman for three years.

      5. Sketch of the life of Thomas Wallace from his own account - note there seems to be several versions of this autobiography of which I have copies of three. The LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City has a film with photos of his original journal on microfilm from which I take his account directly from his own journal. I do make corrections in capitalization, spelling, and punctuation:
      "Journal No. 3 - I was born in the Barony Parish, City of Glasgow, Scotland, on the 25th day of January 1829. During my infancy, through some turn of my father's business affairs, the family moved to Ireland, but soon afterwards returned again to Glasgow. Amongst the first events that I can remember in the family were the following. My eldest brother, whose name was Robert, enlisted in the service of the Queen of Spain, as a soldier. He was a tall, good looking young man. After spending a few years in the service and winning several favours through his bravery, he was accidentally shot while standing in the guardroom. During the above few years, my sister Ann died. She was about nine years of age, was of a mild disposition, and to this day, her gentle manner and kind spirit come often up before me. She was the light and joy of the household and was the third daughter of the same name, which my mother had lost. A little before the death of my oldest brother, my youngest brother was born. Being so young myself, I do not remember the dates of these events. My youngest sister was also brought very low, but she recovered again. My father who had been seventeen years in the Royal Navy in the English service during the war with France and had been accustomed to use intoxicating drinks while there, had not wisdom enough to lay these things aside. About the time of my brother's death and for some time before [he] began to give himself up to the appetites, which had been growing for years. He neglected his business, neglected his wife and family, and at last left us and went to the Isle of Man. My mother at this time was confined to her bed by sickness, and my father expected that she would die, but she soon recovered and when she learned where he was, she took my two brothers, Adam who was older than I and Timothy who was the youngest and left my two sisters at home [with] Julia Ann. She was then the eldest of the family and Mary, she being the youngest daughter – being 3 sons and 3 daughters. After the proper arrangements were made for the journey, we set sail from Glasgow on board the Eagle Steamship for Douglas, Isle of Man. The weather was fine and pleasant; the sea was calm, and under these favorable circumstances we arrived in the Bay of Douglas next morning. We were taken on shore. I was sick and vomited, but on approaching the shore I recovered. We found my father and stayed on the island a few months. Toward the end or about the middle of harvest, we began to think of returning to Scotland. The family had removed from Douglas to Ramsey, another town on the island. Accordingly, arrangements were made to set sail from Ramsey on board a fishing vessel on Saturday afternoon and just as we were ready to set sail, my father left the ship and we were allowed to go back as we had come. A severe storm overtook us and but for the mercy of God we must have perished in the deep, but Sunday morning found us safe on shore in Galoway of Wigtonshire. The morning was pleasant and our course lay along the seashore. After we had traveled a few miles, a strange incident took place, which terrified us very much. The sea lay to our left and on our right a hill rose to a considerable height, a gentle green slope leading to this hill. Alongside the footpath ran a wall made of loose stones about two or two and a half feet high. As we traveled on, a man rose up alongside of us on the opposite side of the wall and he walked a short distance then sat down. This was repeated three times. During this time neither word nor looks were exchanged among us. But when he sat down the third time, we all at once looked over the wall and to our horror and dismay we saw no appearance of either man or beast. Besides, there was not a bush or anything alse to hide him from our sight. We hurried from the spot and at the first house we came to we told what we had seen and were informed that a man had been killed about that place some time previously and the apparition had been seen ever since, by all who went that way. After a fatiguing journey we arrived in Glasgow and found my sisters both quite well. My memory of what took place about this time is very indistinct except that my father returned to us but he was soon compelled through lack of work to leave us once more. Poverty of the worst kind now began to set in upon us and after a struggle against it my mother concluded to go to her relations in the south of Ireland, but first of all she thought of going to London to receive some twenty pounds of what was called blood money. This was to be paid by the Spanish Government to the relations of those who fell in the war, and since my brother was one of that unfortunate band, my mother thought of getting the above sum. Once more the wide world was our home. We left Glasgow, on our way to London, walking as far as Manchester, but by another change in my mother's mind, she gave up the idea of going to London, turned around and went to White Haven. There we took ship for Dublin, where we arrived safe but penniless. [According to Lizzie Wallace Hickenlooper, Thomas Wallace's daughter, the reason his mother went to Ireland was to get her dowry. When she was married she was not of age, so her uncle, who raised her and with whom she lived, kept the money. Her intentions were to get her money, return home before her husband and so surprise him. When she reached Ireland, hewever, her uncle was dead and her money had gone into chancery. Since she had told no one where she was going, her husband who returned in the meantime could find no trace of his family and left in search of them. They never saw him again.] In Dublin, my eldest sister disposed of the remnant of her wardrobe and after staying here a few days, we set out on foot for the City of Cork, a distance of one hundred Irish miles, each mile being one-fourth longer than English miles. After pursuing our journey through the greatest hardships we arrived at our destination. To our astonishment all my mother's relations had died. We stayed a few months at Cork. During this time my mother died in the month of November 1839. My youngest brother Timothy died also. Both my eldest sister, and my brother, Adam were sick of a fever. I was confined to my bed with what I understood to be the dropsy. I was afterward taken to the hospital with sore eyes; other diseases common in the Workhouse set upon me and I suffered severely. Also I was kept on mean food and very little of that. The children were separated from their parents and we shared the same fate. The winter set in and I had to go barefooted, bareheaded, and lightly clad. My brothers and sisters were more fortunate for they got shoes. After spending six months more, that is of the New Year, we in the early part of July 1840 set sail on board a small vessel for Scotland. We arrived safely at Glasgow, my birthplace. Here, friendless and homeless, the authorities of the Parish refused us relief, but at last after giving proof that we belonged to the place, they gave us the trifling sum of 27 two shillings. We were houseless wanderers in the place of our Childhood; those who had pretended friendship to us turned us out of doors when night came on. My eldest sister had left us to the mercy of the world, as they would not relieve our wants while she was with us. About the middle of July we were sent to Kirkintillock to learn the weaving of flowered muslin. I was with my brother Adam (he being the only one left) at the house of John Calder, Waterloo place, for the space of one month and then as his brother stood in need of an apprentice, I was sent to live at his house in Kerr Street, Kirkintillock. I may here say that my sister Mary, who was two years younger than I, was sent to live at the house of William Blair and learn the same trade. We were thus provided with places of abode. Nothing particular transpired for a short time. As regards our religious sentiments, they were of Roman Catholic bearing in their belief. My mother was very sincere; she never lost sight of her religion; she died a Roman Catholic. About one year and nine months after our arrival in Kirkintillock, my brother ran away from his master and we could not find out where he had gone. I had seen my eldest sister several times during the above period; she always received me kindly, and sometimes came to see us and when she did so she was kindly and respectfully received by our masters. Being now left without my brother who had acted as a protector to Mary and myself, we felt very lonely and about nine months afterwards, I planned our escape, having been assisted by my eldest sister, Julia Ann. The object in view was for Mary and myself to become inmates of the Roman Catholic Orphan house. This object we accomplished. I expected to be allowed time to get an ordinary share of education and then to learn watchmaking or some other business more sutiable to my taste than weaving, but a few days put an end to my dreams of future bliss, for our master having found out where we were came to the Bishop and told him that we were bound apprentices, and by so doing they were allowed to take us from our coveted situation. Their statements about our being bound apprentices were false. The events took place in the month of January 1843. I had up to this time been compelled to go to the Sunday School and also to the Secession Church twice each Sunday and also to learn to read writing; this I was able to accomplish to a certain extent. A few changes shortly after this time made a deep impression on my mind and changed the current of my thoughts. Julia Ann, my eldest sister got married to a soldier in the English Service, 22nd Regiment of light infantry and shortly afterwards she went with him to Ireland. Thus Mary and myself were left alone. Nothing in particular took place until the spring of 1845, my term of apprenticeship being nearly expired. I was told one day that a man wanted me. The thought that it was my brother came into my mind and it was so; the boy who a few years before had fled from his master because of harsh treatment stood now before me, a healthy, robust man. I was glad to see him. My brother had only come to visit me and when he had stayed a short time he left and went to Manchlin. Shortly before he came, my sister left her master and went to Glasgow. My attention was now called in another direction. In the month of August, 1845, my term of service expired. I began to think myself above the control of my former mistress; she was overbearing and I consequently left the house where I had spent six years of my life. For a year or so I was connected with the Wesleyan Methodists. I went to lodge at the house of Alexander Bain. I lodged at his house until in the month of September. I became connected with the Wesleyan Methodists in 1847 and in the spring of 1848 I left his house and went to live with a family by the name of Millens. I continued with this family until my brother got married in the summer of 1848. I afterwards remained among the Methodists until the 1st of Oct., 1849. Having been, however, for a short time examining the Latter-day Saints, I was at last convinced of the truthfulness of their religion and on the 7th day of October 1849, I was baptised in the river Kelvin in the Township of Kirkintillock, by Elder Robert Scott, President of the Campsic Branch. I was confirmed the following day (Sunday) by him. I continued to increase in knowledge of the scriptures and tried to live my religion, but I had many difficulties to cope with. The saints were slack in their duties and lax in their morals, but still, although inexperienced, I strove to act justly and chastely before God. I continued to be hedged in poverty and had not energy enough to extricate myself. My employment was badly paid and required great exertions to make a few shillings per week. At length on April 8, 1850, I was ordained to the office of teacher in the Kirkintillock and Campsic Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the hands of Nel Brogan, Joseph Clements, being President of the Glasgow Conference, and Walter Thomson, Clerk. A few months afterward, I was ordained by the sanction of the Branch to the office of Priest, the same person ordained me on the 8th of September. During this time a number were cut off from the church in the branch; as a general thing, I was beloved by my brethren and sisters. This cheered me and enabled me to mingle with them joyfully; taking into consideration the former religious prejudices and ideas, they were a good people; I speak of them as they were at this period of time. I had many things to contend with in my circumstances through unforseen events, but still I was nothing daunted and persevered. My religion being my only solace. I had several visits from my sister, Mary. She was at length baptised, but was, soon afterwards, cut off for neglect of duty. In the spring of 1851, I went to Glasgow on a visit and while there I went on Sunday, April 20, to hear Elder George B. Wallace who was counselor to the President of the Church in the British Isles. After speaking for some time at length called on the brethren to come forward as volunteers to go out and preach the Gospel as traveling elders. He said that all could find excuses if they wanted to, but said he, 'See to it that these excuses will stand in the Day of Judgment.' At the close of the meeting, I offered myself for the ministry and was chosen along with a few others to go and preach in places where the Gospel had never been preached. I was ordained an elder under the hands of George B. Wallace and Joseph Clements in the City of Glasgow, April 22, 1851, and was sent as a traveling elder to Dumfrieshire in the south of Scotland and continued in the ministry until 1861. During these years of travel, which extended through England and Scotland, I suffered many privations and disappointments, but made many friends. I was twice engaged to be married, but fate decreed it otherwise. I married Mary Ann Burnhope, daughter of Isaac Burnhope and Elizabeth Charlton the 9th of April, 1859, by Elder Joseph Stanford at Gateshead, Durnham County, England. Was officially married at the registrar's office May 9, 1859, at New Castle on Tyne, Northumberland, England. In Jan. 1st, 1857, I presided over a meeting of the Saints in Sunderland, it being the first since I was appointed President over the Durham Conference, by the presidency from Liverpool. On the 5th of January, Brother Smith, with whom I was visiting, laid his hands on my head and blest me as follows: (So near as I can remember.) 'Dear Brother, in the name of Jesus Christ and by the authority of the Holy Priesthood, I lay my hands upon thy head and set thee apart to preside over the Durnham Conference. Thou shalt have great wisdom in governing the Saints under thy watchful care, inasmuch as you live your religion. Thou shalt have power to heal the sick, for they shall be healed at thy word. Thou shalt have wisdom to confound the wise, and scores and hundreds and thousands will receive the Gospel at thy lips. I seal upon thee all the blessings of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the blessing of salvation. Inasmuch as thou shalt fulfill this calling and every other calling which thou are called to fill. I also seal upon thy head all the blessings confered upon thee by the servants of the Lord. In the name of Jesus Christ I ask God to seal and ratify in the Heavens what I have done on the earth. Amen.' At this time there was a great deal said about the reformation and many of the saints were rebaptised. At one of the meetings, Pastor Smith moved and it was carried that O.G. Workman and Thomas Wallace be rebaptized, so after the meeting with Pastor Smith the brethren prepared themselves for this sacred ordinance. Pastor Smith rebaptised and reconfirmed us, after which we partook of food for we had fasted till after sunset. My blessing was truly great, for it was promised me that I should do much good, and it was very cheering to me. During my travels among the saints I became acquainted with Isaac Burnhope's family and thought a great deal of them, especially their daughter, Mary Ann, she had a number of suitors for she was a very lovely girl and fine looking. I was very fortunate for she married me. On April 5, 1860 I was received a letter of appointment from President Asa Calkin stating I was to preside over Sheffield, Bradford, Hull, and Lincolnshire Conference. I enjoyed my labors among the saints, but I was anxious to go to America. We kept the Conference house and the elders made their home with us whenever they were in that part of the mission. On April 18, 1860, our first child was born; a beautiful girl and we named her Annie. We crossed the ocean, leaving England the 23rd of April 1861, on the good ship Underwriter. In the spring of 1862 we went to American Fork, Utah County, Utah, and expected to make our home, so bought a small piece of land which had one large log room on it, with willow and dirt roof, one small window. We made our first payment of $150.00 with some of our best clothes, among them my best suit of clothes, and my wife's best silk dress. We had no stove; there was a fire place in one end of our house and here we used a bake kettle for a long time. In 1863, I went to work in American Fork Canyon for Allen and Cutler. I received in payment flour, sometimes as low as 5 lb, pork 3 1/2 lbs., 1 pig, and orders on Cutler Brothers Store and other stores in Salt Lake City. That winter I was able to get a loom and work at my trade, that of weaving. I wove fine check flannel and plain Linsey jeans, blankets, checkered cotton, and plain toweling, twiled blankers, and carpets both rag and wool. I received in payment wood, tallow, meat, flour, cornmeal potatoes, old adobes and the use of a man's cattle for 2 days. One man paid 2 pound saleratus, 1 dozen apples, 20 pounds flour and once in a while a dollar in money, but we got along quite nicely, only our clothes would wear out. When I came home from the canyon in September, my wife had a nice surprise for me. On Sunday morning I said to her, 'I can't go to meeting today for I have no coat or vest to wear.' 'Well, perhaps you can wear the one on the bed there.' And to my great surprise there lay a very fine broadcloth coat and black velvet vest. She had borrowed the coat I sold and taken it and a large cape of hers and velvet jacket to the tailor of the village and had him make the coat and vest for me. From a silk waist, with large sleeves, she had made five ladie's bonnets and sold them for $5.00 each and bought us shoes so we went to meeting. In 1866 we sold our home and moved to Salt Lake City. I worked there for Stubbs and Kirkwood in a grocery store and bakery. Prior to our moving to Salt Lake City, we had made a visit there and been endowed and sealed to each other December 1862 in the Endowment House. While in Salt Lake City we became acquainted with Franklin D. Richards' family, and through their interest in us after they moved to Ogden we were induced to do the same, so in 1869 we moved to Ogden and where we again bought land and built us a home five blocks east from Washington Avenue on 25th Street. I worked for Z.C.M.I. for about 15 years, for L.D. Wilson, in the hardware business and for Richards Brothers in the Wholesale dry goods business. While I was building our house in Ogden a severe epidemic of smallpox broke out and I sent my family to Salt Lake City to live with her sister, Betsy Mattinson until the city would be clean from the terrible epidemic and by the time they could come back the house of three rooms was ready for them. Afterward, I added a room on the west end and a long room across the back, which covered the well and put a coal house on the east end of the long room so we were very comfortable. The 11th of February 1873, I married Elvira Stowell, daughter of William R.R. Stowell and Sophronia Kelley. At that time the Church authorities were advising the brethren to go into Polygamy and I felt it my duty to obey council. My wife, Mary Ann, being willing, I brought her into our home and we lived together until after her son, William, was born, July 20, 1874, after which she moved to herself. She was a loveable character and my family was very fond of her. In the fall of 1876 another terrible epidemic broke out in Ogden. Smallpox and many died. Elvira was a victim. She died October 19, 1876, and Samuel, my son, died November 7, 1876. Everyone was so afraid of the disease that the dead were buried at night. No one came to help us. When Elvira died my good wife Mary Ann had nursed her during her sickness and when she died prepared her for burial, and I with the driver of a lumber wagon took her at midnight and buried her; her people never came near while she lay sick or when she was buried. I was allowed to take Samuel to bury him in the day time. From the time Elvira took sick until we were out of quarantine, 18 weeks, no one but the Drs. Anderson and Williams and a Mr. Embling who nursed us for a short time, ever crossed our doorstep. Elizabeth, Lizzie as we always called her, was very bad when Samuel died and we did not think she would live. I have suffered much, but still the Lord has been good to me. My wife Mary Ann did not take the smallpox. After the children were well I began looking about for a new home. We had suffered so much where we were that I felt a change of residence would help us all. I sold our home to P. Perry and bought a home in North Ogden from H.C. Wardley, a two-story adobe house and lot on the east side of the public square. October 19, 1877, my wife gave birth to twins, a boy and girl, Joseph and Mary Ann. On December 6, 1877, we moved to North Ogden. I still held my job in Ogden, and traveled back and forth to my work, going down on Manday morning and returning Saturday night. I walked most of the time for several years until Lizzie was older when she would take me as we owned a horse and buggy. For five years I was a home missionary, traveling over Weber County to preach to the Saints. Often my wife and daughter accompanied me. July 1882, I was made Bishop of North Ogden Ward. Before this I was ordained a High Counselor April 9, 1871 under the hands of Daniel H. Wells, Wilford Woodruff, Franklin D. Richards, and George Q. Cannon, George Q. being spokesman. Traveling to Ogden was very trying and my health broke so I secured a position with Sidney Stevens in a General Merchandise store in North Ogden and by so doing was able to be at home and attend to my duties as Bishop in the ward. About 1886 a fire destroyed the store and I was thrown out of work. My wife, being a midwife, persuaded me to stay at home so that she would be more at liberty, so I rented a small piece of land and raised a nice garden. A great deal of my time was spent in supervising the building of a church in the ward and going among the sick. I loved my people and I feel that I was beloved by them. I was not very robust and the sorrow of losing my family greatly affected me. We buried nine children and the sufferings of my early life told on me." Photo of a young Thomas and Mary Ann Wallace accompanies the biography. One of the three copies of the autobiography includes similar recollections of his daughter Elizabeth from arrival in America to Thomas' death. I do not transcribe the narrative since it more or less mirrors the autobiography but there are a few additional interesting details on family life.

      6. Various copies of certificates in my files:
      a. Governor Elist. Murray of the Territory of Utah appointing Thomas Wallace as Selectman of Weber County effective with the election of 28 Oct 1885.
      b. Acting Governor Arthur Thomas of the Territory of Utah appointing Thomas Wallace as Selectman of Weber County effective with the election of 2 Aug 1886.
      c. Governor Caleb W. West of the Territory of Utah appointing Thomas Wallace as Selectman of Weber County effective with the election of 1 Aug 1887.

      7. I have copied Thomas Wallace's personal diary and the history of his wife from FHL film 362685. I have this on CD with about 400 actual images copied from the film. I also have a partial hard copy on file. I provided Sharon W. Allred a copy of the disk in 2006 for her assistance in transcribing it. In the process of doing so, she sent me the following email of 26 Apr 2006:
      "It took a while to figure out how to see the pages. Neither Paint no Adobe could read it. But then I downloaded Google's Picasa 2, and there it was! This seems to be Ggrandfather's journal from 1851 to 1860... It begins when Thomas is 22, already a member of the church, volunteering "to go to preach the Gospel to places where it had not been established. He begins his labors with a small bit of money collected by members of the branch. His experiences preaching as he goes along, and receiving a bit of help now and then are not dramatic, but are very touching and full of faith. It's very good to get to know him better! I had hoped there might be more of his early life, and perhaps some clues about his father's side of the family. But I think not in this journal... But I think there must be other journals somewhere. Aunt Lizzy's history of Thomas's Childhood was taken, she says, from the Journal of Thomas Wallace. And there is one quotation about an incident in 1864 that she says was from his journal, also. So let's... hope we can find someone who knows where there may be other journals to add to this one."
      The following is her 2009 transcription of it. Note that her textual comments were originally italicized and in [square brackets]; however, this PAF program does not recognize italics. Also at the end of this transcription, I include notes as to the contents of the rest of the untranscribed pages:
      A. "Introduction
      This is a remarkable journal! Thomas Michael Wallace's intelligence, resourcefulness, faith and spiritual maturity in one so young – he was only 22 years of age at the beginning of this journal – is quite remarkable To make this transcription as correct as possible, I am doing the following: The original journal pages are numbered. I will insert a tiny number in parentheses (3) as I transcribe to show the page in the original to facilitate easy rechecking. My photocopy of the original pages is very faded and hard to decipher in places. To avoid errors, I will use a simple underline to represent a word I cannot figure out ____. When I can see some of the letters in a word, I may guess the rest but will put it in brackets like [this] to show I am not at all certain. If I need to add comments [ I will write them in italics and initial them. swa] I am making only two changes: The journal capitalizes all nouns and is unpunctuated; I will not capitalize common nouns, and I am adding some punctuation. Nothing else will be changed. I am very moved by this journal, and hope you will all feel the same growing love and admiration for our remarkable great-grandfather.
      Special thanks to Harry Lane, native of northern England, for his help in checking place names.
      Sharon Wallace Allred
      March 2, 2009
      The transciption:
      "Private Journal of Elder Thomas Wallace, 1851-1860
      (1)This book is only one that contains private journal of Elder Thomas Wallace. [does this mean that there are others? No others known to the family at this time.]
      Having gone to Glasgow on the 19th of April 1851 to transact some business, I had heard that George B. Wallace was to be in the [hall?] on 20th and waited to see him. The evening was occupied by him in preaching. After the sermon was finished he said he wanted some young men to go and introduce the gospel to places where it had not been as yet established so I went and offered myself together with other 7 of the brethren to go and preach the Gospel to the world. Five of us (2) were then chosen to go into the Carlisle Conference to labor under the direction of Appleton M. Harmon the president of that conference. We were ordained under the hands of George B. Wallace and Joseph Clements on the 2nd of April 1851 in Bro Clements' lodgings and wrote to Bro Harmon on the 7th of May stating the time that I expected to be in Carlisle and he wrote to me and told me that the field of my labors was to be Dumfries and the surrounding country.
      (3) Having thus received my appointment in that place and having received help from the Saints in Kirkintilloch and Campsie that enabled me to go on my mission, I left [for?] Kirkintilloch on the 13 of May, [ ___ ___ ___ ___ ] because of my departure They all are tears of joy and sorrow mixed together. They rejoiced that the Kingdom of God was to be helped on by one from their midst, and they were grieved because they were to lose my company which they had been so long used.
      (4) I went to Glasgow to see some of the brethren and sisters before I leave. We slept in Sister [___ Carsouble's] on the 13th and went to Brother [Kirkwall] on the 14th and bought 4/ worth of tracts and pamphlets. I then went to see Bro Clements and there took breakfast with Bro. [Semple]. That evening I attended a meeting that I was invited to. When the meeting was about to dismiss Bro Chambers said "Brethren and Sisters, we have a brother here who (5) is going to preach the Gospel and like his Master of old has not a place to lay his head and if any of you can give him a bed they will be blest. Then having dismissed the meeting with prayer Brother [Dougal] ____ ____ came and asked me to go with him. Sister Muirbrook came and shook my hand and put 4d into my hand. Next morning I received 6d from Sister McDonald. After breakfast Brother McDonald conveyed me 2 miles on my way and then went to Pollock (6) and called on the Saints in that place.
      I found Sister Lynch in a bad state of health from a severe cold. She desired me to administer the ordinance to her which I did and she recovered and testified to the power of God by which she was healed. Sister Irwin was there at the same time. She had been badly for the space of eleven weeks with the sore in her leg. She also desired that I administer the ordinance to her, which I did and she rose and (7) and walked through the house. She wept with joy and we all felt happy and thanked the Lord for his goodness towards the children of men in the Last Days. I then left them and went on my way to Thornlie Bank where I slept all night in Brother Maxwell's. Brother John Mcintyre kept me in as much food as I could make use of and gave me 3d to pay my bed the first time that I should need it. I started next morning and reached Kilmarnock that night where I was kindly (8) received by the Saints who lodged me and fed me from Friday evening until Monday when I again took the road having received 2/ from the Saints in Kilmarnock.
      May 19th having traveled 14 miles, I arrived at Glenlogin where I was entertained by Brother [Henderson] till next morning. Brother John Morrow conveyed me to [Lugar]. We found Bro William Aird and John [Diemron or Dremman], traveling elders in this District as we came into [Bermickmotle]. Brother Morrow gave me (9) 1/ and Bro Dremman gave me 4ss and left himself with one penny only. We then went to Bankhead near Sanquhar where we were kindly received by Brother and Sister [Tod]. I had walked twenty-two miles on Tuesday and on Wednesday I took the invitation of Bro [Tod] to stay till Thursday to refresh myself. So having rested till Thursday, I blessed Bro Tod and departed for Dumfries. Brothers [Aird] and [Drennan] conveyed me several miles. After parting with them I went in company with a stranger to Dumfries. I preached the Gospel to him (10) and told him to search after these things. He said that he would. He was going to England.
      Having arrived at Dumfries I went to Brother Glendennings. His wife received me kindly and went for her husband who, when he was come, received me as a Servant of the Lord. Then walked two miles that day. On Friday I wrote 3 letters to Brother Scott, 1 to Brother Harmon, and 1 to a Sister in Glasgow. These had all promised to keep up correspondence with me while on this mission. (11) I wanted my lines of recommendation from Brother Scott also Brother Harmon before I would begin my publick [sic] ministry in this City surrounding town. I waited til Monday to see if these brethren would send these letters which I so much stood in need of, but they did not come. I then went in company with Bro Glendenning to the lodgings of one Mr. Campbell, a schoolmaster, to hire his schoolroom but he was not in so we told the man who came to the door that we would hold a meeting this same evening. (12) Had a conversation with a young man, a member of the Free Church. Showed him the order of the Church of Christ and the necessity of the same in all ages, from the words of the Savior and his Apostles. He seemed to feel under the words that were spoken, but the dogmas of the day seemed to hold him in bondage. But the Lord can open the eyes of the blind, and it is my prayer that he will give the people in this and the surrounding country the hearing ears and the understanding heart that they may obey the Gospel of his Son.
      (13) 1851 May 28th. Today called upon Mr. Campbell and settled with him about the schoolroom. I hired it for a month for 4/ to be occupied on Sabbath first at the hours of 11 M and half past 6 E. Then I filled some bills to warn the town. Bro Glendenning has been like a father to me since I came. His wife also has been very kind to me and has promised to join the Church if there was a branch here with officers to look over it, for she does not think there is (14) any use in joining a church unless there were those in it who could teach the members of the same their duty.
      The next day being the 29th I distributed some tracts to give the people some idea of what our principles are, but the most of them refused to take them. They seem to be afraid of them though they did not know what they were. The character of the people here is (15) of a very strange nature. They are proud and selfish in the extreme, and I believe that they will reject the Gospel almost to a man if the Lord does not pour out his Spirit more abundantly than they have it at present.
      I went to Galston. It is about 1 ½ miles from this and there got the promise of a schoolroom to preach in. The master said he would tell the children to [warn] their parents to the meeting which was appointed to be on Monday (16) evening at seven o'clock. The next day I went back with some bills which were put up to let the people know the time of meeting and the religion we profess.
      June 1st according to the appointment I went to the schoolroom of Mr. Campbell, but only two strangers came and they were both from the country. I spoke about ½ an hour to them. We conversed about one hour after the session about the Gospel (17) In the evening only 5 strangers came. The young man which was with us in the morning was one of them. I told them if they wanted any information about the Gospel they could either come to my lodgings or I would go to their houses. June 2. Today I went to Galston to keep my appointment, but the people here did the same as on Sunday. Only four came, to whom I spoke a few minutes. Afterwards we had some conversation
      (18) Today it is wet. I had intended to go to Annan, a town about sixteen miles from this but could not owing to the rain. Brother Glendenning desired me to stay til tomorrow. His wife also told me to stay until the next day. She is more like a mother to me than a stranger. May the Lord reward her as she has blessed me with everything that I stood in need of since I came here. June 4. Today (19) the weather having changed, I made ready to go to Annan. Mrs.Glendenning gave me 6d to help me on my way. As I was traveling along the road, being hungry I bought a biscuit and sat down to eat it. A woman came to me with a cup of tea from a house at the road side. She said she loped there was no offense in offering it to me but that I might go into her house if I pleased. Being tired I took the invitation and preached to her and her mother the Gospel. They did not seem to want it as they had in their house as many books as would take (20) anybody a lifetime to read such as the Pilgrim's Progress, Bunyan's visions of heaven and hell and such like stuff. I left them to think on what I said and went on my way.
      When I came to Annin I asked for Brother Allison and was directed to his house. He together with [word omitted?] received me kindly. I found by my enquiry that the Gospel had been preached in that place and likewise that there had been a branch organized, but they were all cut off for transgression, but some of whom were still a disgrace to the Church. (21) I was invited to breakfast by Brother [Raisel] the next day and went accordingly. He had a great deal to say about Brother Allison's conduct in the way he had acted in cutting off his sons two in number. He said that they had been hardly used. I told him that if I had Brother Allison and him face to face that I might have some room to speak, but as they were not face to face that I could say nothing about it. Brother Allison told me that it was the order of Brother Harmon that should they (22) not attend the meetings that he was to cut them off. He went to them in company with the Deacon to tell them his orders. They said that they would attend, but they did not. Before I went to Annin I was not aware that there had been preaching in it, and I intended to preach the word of the Lord to the people there, but after some consideration I thought it best to leave it in the hands of Brother Allison as he was best acquainted with the people and their manners. I went to Brother Harmon (23) stating the situation of the Church in this District of the country desiring his council how to act.
      Having tarried with the brethren till Friday morning June 6th I administered the ordinance to the wife of Brother Allison and also to himself and consecrated some oil to their own use. I departed for Ecclefechan, a village 6 miles from Annin, where I called at the house of a man called David Johnston. He was not at home at the time that I went, but being informed that there were two schoolrooms (24) in the place I went to the teacher of the Free Church school to see if he would grant me the Liberty to preach in that evening. He told me he had not the [authority] to grant it but he told me to go to one Mr. Murry. I went to him. He gave me his assent and sent me to one of the Elders and also to one of the Trustees. They both gave their consent after I told them the doctrine of the Church. Having thus received the liberty to use the schoolroom (25) I gave a man 8d to go through the town with the bell to warn the people and then went back to the house of David Johnston. His wife asked me to take tea with them which I did being somewhat hungry, and then went to search for lodgings having a little money for Bro Glendenning gave me a 1/ before I left Dumfries.
      This evening I spoke to the people on the necessity of the Gospel being the same in all ages having the same gifts and blessings. They gave (26) an attentive hearing to what I said. I told them to come to my lodgings if they wanted any information, but only one came. He heard the principles before but would not obey the Gospel. The next morning I called on David Johnston. He said after some conversation that he would obey the Gospel if he only knew it to be true. I told him that faith came by hearing and not by seeing. We then parted and I took the road to Dumfries. (27) Having arrived there Brother Glendenning received me kindly. He gave me 2/6 to help me on during the next fortnight as he was not expecting to see me till then. May the Lord remember him for good is my earnest prayer. Sister Paterson gave me a loaf, tea, sugar and butter to help during me Sunday. This is the second time she has given me something to eat since I came. Bro Glendenning told me that the bills which were put up had been covered by others and he thought (28) that it was useless to give money for a place to preach in seeing that the people were so backward in coming out the Sabbath previous. Only 4 of the inhabitants came to the meeting. So we thought that we would stop the meeting for some time to see what would take place in the surrounding towns.
      On Sabbath we went and visited a young man who wanted to have some conversation with me. He seemed to see (29) the folly of sectarianism, and the order of the Church of Christ pleased him well. I asked him how he would like to join a church that had these blessings. He said he liked to think about it. This was the state we left him in. It was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon when we left him. He invited me to go back the next time I was in Dumfries. I said I would. The next morning I prepared to go to Castle Douglas (it is 18 miles from this place) (30) with the intention of preaching there, so when I came to it I got directions from a man where I could find decent lodgings. The next morning I enquired if there was any schoolrooms in the town. They said there was two, the Free Church and the Established Church Schools. I went out after breakfast to walk and kneeled down and asked the Lord if he would open the heart of the man or men to give the place to preach in and then went to the man who kept the schools. (31) He told me that I might have it at 8 o'clock. I then went off and bathed myself as I was much in need of it.
      Afterwards I went to the town cryer and gave him 6d to go through the town to warn the people the meeting. He told that it was 6 o'clock when [they] came home from their work so he thought it would be best to go after that. At the time appointed I went to the place. After the people had begun to come in the minister of the Free (32) Church came up to me where I was sitting and asked me what was the matter that schoolroom was open and who gave me the liberty and also if I was the person that was going to preach. I told him that the teacher gave me the liberty of the schoolroom and that I was the person that was going to preach. He said that had we been a class of people that held doctrines that they considered orthodox that he might have allowed me to preach. He then asked what were our doctrines and said (33) that he did not even know that I belonged to that body. Where are your credentials? I asked him what he called orthodoxy. He said he had not time to discuss with me. I then handed him my credentials and then told him our doctrine. I asked him if there was anything in it that was not orthodox. I also asked him to allow me to have some conversation with him at his own house. He said he had not time as he was engaged. He then told a young man present to see to it (34) that the door was locked and then walked out so that I had only one way left and that was to go out also. The name of this worthy is Brown and I wish to remember him for what he did. Then went home to my lodgings.
      I started next day for Gatehouse of Fleet. Bro Glendenning told me he thought that there was a Branch in that place, but when I came to it I only found one Sister in the place. There was another that did not deserve the name of a Saint, but I did not (35) see her. The next day being wet, I stayed till Friday. Then went to Newton in Stewart to see a Brother that was there. I heard that he was in transgression, and as the Church had been destroyed in these parts so that there were only a few left, I was desirous to save them that remained if possible. This was the reason of my going to Newton Stewart. When I arrived at the place I found out that the man who told me about Brother Hall was cut off in the month (36) of March. Then I perceived that the man had told a lie willfully to hide his own wickedness. His name is John Parkhill..
      The next day being Saturday, June 14, I having been told by Brother Hall that one of the Brethren from the London Conference was living 6 miles distant, he told me also that he was a priest and that I might pay him a visit. So after breakfast I went off in search of him. I called at a farmer's by the (37) name of David Furguson. He told me to come in. When I enquired of Bro Reid they gave me my dinner of the best and invited me to go back and stop a night any time I thought proper. I told him that I would stop with him on Monday, June 16, then bade him goodbye and found Bro Reid cutting turf. We shook hands. As soon as I told him what I was, his brother Peter came up, so after waiting with him an hour I went with his brother to the house. We talked (38) by the way about the Gospel. He said he could not get rest about it in his bed that his sleep went from him. This I was glad to hear for I believe he will soon join the Church. After we went into the house we resumed the subject about the little stone cut out of the mountain without hands. I showed the time of its coming forth namely in the days when the toes were in existence. I then showed him that there (39) was to be a falling away from the faith and that the Gospel was to be restored by the ministry of an Angel and then bore my testimony to him telling him that I knew it to be the work of god. I then told him how I knew it, namely by the manifestation of the power of God. Next day Bro Reid's younger brother came after some conversation. He told us that he would get baptized next day as Sabbath was very wet and stormy (40). So on Monday evening Brother William Reid and I and this young man went down to a river where I baptized him in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Then I immersed him in the water. After we came out of the water I confirmed him in the usual way. I told him Brother William to teach him and to watch over him. I then went to see Fergusen where I slept that night. The next day Tuesday June 17 was very stormy. (41) I stayed with them till the afternoon when I left them after having told them what was their duty. Some of the elders had been there before.
      I then went to Newton Stewart to see Br Hall. Before I would leave, Sister Parkhill came in the time that I was in Br Hall's. She wanted the ordinance to be administered to her child. So after supper I administered the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper after which I spoke to them a few (42) minutes, teaching them to walk uprightly before the Lord and if they would do this that the lord would bless them. I also cheered them with the prospects of a glorious resurrection if they would be faithful in the time of their trials, whether it came in the form of poverty or riches. I then gave the child the ordinance of the Church after which Br Hall prayed.
      Next day, June 18, I went to Gatehouse of Fleet where Sister Herron lives. (43) She is indeed the kindest woman that I ever saw. She told me next day that there was no use of going either to the Red Lion or Twynholm because the day was too windy to preach in the open air, and that there was not a fit place in either of the places to preach. Brothers Kelly and Colvin had both been to these places to preach and they had to hold their meetings out of doors, so having a good deal of writing to do I took the opportunity (44) to write during that and a portion of Friday. Up to this time I have kept this journal in as good order as could be expected. Sister Herron gave me three pence today. I told her that the time when I would go to Zion that I might have it in my power to do her a good turn for her kindness to me. It is my heart's desire that the Lord may bless her with health and every good gift which she may stand (45) in need of.
      June 19, 1851. Today I left Gatehouse of Fleet about 2 o'clock. I arrived at Castle Douglas about 8 o'clock in the evening [about fifteen miles]. Being somewhat tired and cast down, I did speak to the people that evening. June 20 I started for Dumfries. I lent some of the pamphlets to a man. He said he would read them and also he said that he would lend them to one of his neighbors who was fond of (46) reading. I then went on my way to a small village by the name of Springholm. I went to a door and asked for a drink of water. The woman told me to come into her house. Her husband is a teacher in the established School. After some conversation she told me she thought her husband would give me his schoolroom to preach in the next time that (47) I went that way. I thanked her for her kindness and told her that I would be glad of the same then bade her good day.
      The next day June 21 Brother Glendenning and myself went to see Brother [Tysin]. He lives 4 miles from Dumphries. After dinner we came back to Dumfries. Brother [Tysin] also came with us. He gave me 4/ to help me, for which I thanked him. We then went to the dock where (48) the people go to walk, where I preached to as many as would listen. But they were mostly boys some of whom were grown up laughed at the things which were spoken by me.
      What reassurance it is that I am in the service of Him who will uphold me if I do my duty.
      June 22. Today I received 2/ from Bro Glendening [sic]. He is like a (49) Father to me. May the [Lord] bless him for his kindness to me. Sister Patterson gave me a loaf and some tea and sugar on Saturday evening to keep me on Sabbath. She is [hardly pleased] with her husband. He is not in the church. Today I bade them farewell for a while. I came to Thornhill this evening June 24. about seven o'clock. It is too windy to speak out of doors, so I went to a man (50) who teaches in the parish school to see if he would give me the liberty of preaching in the schoolroom. He said it was not in his power to give it as it did not belong to himself, but to the town. After some conversation he went away with the usual saying that the people's priests gave them full satisfaction. It was too late to (51) to go anywhere else to look for a place. Next day I went to another man who has a schoolroom. He is not the proprietor, he says, and for that reason he said that he could not grant me the liberty of preaching. It is the same way with the Mason Lodge. The man that has the liberty of giving it is not allowed to set it below 5/ per night thus the weather being (52) unfavorable to the people. The same for those schoolrooms are only at the service of the apostate churches that are in the place the tares truly are binding in the nettles to be burned. Without a companion to council with I feel very lonely indeed.
      June 24. This evening I preached at the [cross] of Thornhill After the meeting a boy came up and gave me a penny. Another man gave me a halfpenny. I then told the people that I was sent out without purse or scrip and that any man or woman who would feed or lodge a servant of God would in no wise lose their reward. I told them that I was sent on a mission to the country round about Dumfries to preach the Gospel and that I would come there from time to time as I felt it convenient and then bade them goodbye. When I was going away a man called me back and gave me a shilling. May (54) the Lord reward him for his kindness to me.
      Next day I went to a town called [Minery,Mining,or Mimsy Hive or Rise Possibly Nunnery Rise]. I tried to get a place to preach in but could not get any. I went first to the Free Church schoolmaster. He said he had not the power to give it but that if I would go to the minister he would give me an answer, so I went to the manse but the minister was not in. He was out somewhere on horseback. I waited till he came in. When (55) he came into the place where I was sitting I told him my errand. He asked me what I was so I told him. He then said he could not give it. I asked him if he would not wait to hear what I had to say. He said he would not. He then opened the door and stood until I went out. He is one of those who came out from the Church of Scotland. I then went to the master of the established school. He told me that he would have given me the school but it was not in his power for it was (56) in the hands of heritors and they were many of them at a distance. He told me that there was some of them in the place, but that those at a distance complained when the place was given without their sanction. After some more fruitless searching I had to preach at the cross, but I went to one Robert Proudfit to get the bell to warn the people, but he told me it would be more decent to invite the people privily. He said our doctrines were (57) now in the place and the people knew that he kept the bell and on account of the way he was placed in a public manner he had to put it out of the peoples way to take any ill will at him, so he gave me a shilling and said he would tell some of the meeting . I then went and told the people that there would be a sermon preached at the cross at 8 o'clock at the time appointed I went to the place and spoke to those who came on the (58) First Principles of the Gospel and on the Judgments of the Last Days. I told them that I would come again. I would be glad to see those who were there and as many more as they would bring with them. I then bade them goodbye. There were none that offered to give me anything. I told them I was sent out without purse or scrip. An old man gave me two pence when I was inviting him to the meeting. He [59] told me to call on him the next time I came to the place. He is a weaver to [Hade].
      The next day I went to Leadhills, about 22 miles from [Minny, Nunny Rise]. It was late when I got there, having warned the people by the town crier. I preached to them the next evening. They seemed to be well pleased with what was spoken. I spoke for 1 hour. I then told them I would come back if they study the things spoken I am sure it will lead [60] to conviction. I received 8 pence. 2 pence was all the man would take for warning the people. The next day being Saturday I went to Kirk Connell to visit Bro Todd. He received me joyfully. To be in his company is to be Happy. On Sabbath I preached to a few who came into Bro Todd's to hear the word of the Lord. As they were few, I preached to them plainly. They seemed to be all pleased by [61] the way they spoke afterwards. Thus the day has been well spent in the service of the Lord, but Sister Todd is not home which is a want. Brother Todd gave me a shilling and also a pair of good socks. May the Lord bless him, for he is a good man. His heart and hands are open to the servants of God. Having dispensed the Sacrament with brothers Todd and Campbell, I slept in Bro Todd's.
      I departed next day for the house of his sister, 10 miles [62] from his house where I was kindly received by her and her husband, both of whom are in the search of the truth. They are kind hearted and their researches are of the strictest kind. This is the very way they are placed at present, so that I am convinced if they do continue their present course they will long obey the Gospel. I stayed with them 3 days, one of which I went to Penpont where I called on both of the schoolmasters who are [63] in the village. The one was the teacher in the established school. He told me he had not power to give, but told me to go to the minister. His name is Graham. I told him I wanted the schoolroom to preach in. He asked me to what denomination I belonged. I told him. He then told me he would not give it to me. I then went and preached in the open air to a number of people. Having dismissed the people I returned to Brother Todd's brother-in-law. He persuaded me to stay with him till Saturday. When I [64] departed for Dumfries on Sabbath I called on the young man of whom I spoke before. He did not seem as if he wanted to have anything to do with me. After some conversation I left him. I received 6d from Bro [Tyson]. I received 1/6 from Bro Glendenning. Today I went to the Ninemile Bar [also called Crocketford, swa] . Here I peached to an attentive audience. They gave me 1/ 2 ½ of collection. A man by the name of John Balantyne gave me my lodgings that night, my supper and breakfast for nothing, and an old woman [65] gave me my dinner for nothing.
      The next day I went to Spring home [Springholm] where I preached that evening. The schoolmaster gave me the liberty of the schoolroom. The next day I went to Castle Douglas, but the schoolmaster put me out when I asked the place. The evening not being good I wrote three letters to fill up the time. Next day I went to Gatehouse of Fleet where I stayed with Sister Heron till next morning. I then went to Newtown [Newton] Stewart where I spoke to the Saints on the following Sabbath. Elder [66] Maxwell was with us from Fort William. He paid all my bed for me two nights. We raised a collection for Sister [Franklish]. I gave her 1/, she got 2/8 among the few of us that were there. Brother Reid the young man that I baptized was there. He is rejoicing in the work. He is surprised at his former blindness. After the meeting I left the place for [Torhouse] Moore having previously administered the ordinance to Sister Parkhill. She was badly [67] with sore ears, but she recovered before the close of the meeting. I stopped with Brother Reid until Wednesday, but on Monday I baptized and confirmed his sister. She is a fine young woman being very intelligent. The same evening I would have baptized another young woman, but her father would not let her go. The next evening I went to his house and preached the Gospel to him and his family. He said he could make no objections to it as it was the best religion [68] he ever heard of. So he said he and his family would think about it. So left him with my blessing and went home with Brother Reid.
      The next day I went to Newtown Stewart and from there I went to Gatehouses of Fleet where I stopped till next day. I then went to Castle Douglas where I stayed till next day I went to Dumfries where I found a letter from Bro A. M. Harmon. He counseled me to confine my labors as much to one place as possible. The next day I went [69] to Bro Tyson's . He gave 8d. The next evening I went and took tea with Sister Paterson, but before that I had some conversation with 2 men on the Principles of the Gospel, and also with a woman. She is a widow. She pressed me to take some dinner, which I did. About 7 o'clock I went to the dock where I preached to a large audience. Next day I received 1/ from Bro Glendenning.
      I went to Thornhill where I preached to a good number of people. Next day I went to [Burnsands] to the house of Brother Penman. From there I went to Penpont [70] in the evening where I preached to about forty persons who were many of them to appearance much interested. Having told them that I was sent without purse or scrip to preach the Gospel. They gave me 3 ½ d . I then went back to the house of Mr. Penman. It was past 11 o'clock when I got back, but he opened the door and let me in and gave me supper. Next day having promised Bro Todd that I would pay him a visit as I would not have an opportunity for a long time to come, and also I was desirous to see Brothers [71] Bird and Drennan since I had not seen them since I went to Dumfries. I went to Kirkenwell and waited till Brothers Bird and Drennan they arrived Thursday afternoon about 4 o'clock. We held a meeting that evening and we all felt to rejoice: the Spirit of the Lord was with us. There was one stranger with us. He said he could have sat a good while listening to the things that were spoken. The meeting was dismissed by prayer by Elder Bird. The next day Bro Bird gave me 1/ and Sister Forth gave me 6d. I bid her [72] good bye and gave her my blessing. I then went and said farewell to Sister Campbell. She is a woman up in years and has newly obeyed the gospel. She is kind hearted but is confused about with those who hate the truth. But her husband has obeyed the gospel before her.
      After this I went to [Burnsands]. Brothers Bird and Drennan went with me above 4 miles. We had a good time by the way. The Spirit of the Lord gave us comfort by revealing to us that the Lord was well pleased with us and that the [73] work