Chris & Julie Petersen's Genealogy

George Washington Adair

Male 1861 - 1934  (72 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name George Washington Adair 
    Born 26 Jan 1861  Santa Clara, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 10 Jan 1934  Bloomfield, San Juan, New Mexico, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 12 Jan 1934  Hammond, San Juan, New Mexico, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2041  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 15 Jun 2015 

    Father George Washington Adair,   b. 27 Jun 1837, , Pickens, Alabama, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Sep 1909, Hammond, San Juan, New Mexico, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Mother Ann Catherine Chestnut,   b. 11 Apr 1844, , , Missouri, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Mar 1863, Washington, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 18 years) 
    Married 8 Nov 1858  of Washington, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F119  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Almira Hamblin,   b. 6 Oct 1860, Gunlock, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Nov 1940, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 80 years) 
    Married 22 Jan 1879  Saint George, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F1087  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1860 US: Washington, Washington, Utah, page 150 indicates house #1291 and family #1114 the son George is not yet born:
      Geo. W. Adair, 23, farmer with value-real estate of $200/$275 and birthplace of Alabama.
      Ann, age 16.
      Sarah Chesnut, age 14, also noted.

      1870 US: Beaver City, Beaver, Utah, household 83, family 74:
      George W. Adair, 31, M, W, Farmer.
      Emily, 22, F, W, Keeps House.
      George W., 9, M, W.
      Emily J., 4, F, W.
      Daniel T., 2, M, W.
      Samuel P., 4 1/2 [months], M, W.
      [Note curious of Jemima Ann Adair who would have been age 7 in this census but is living with Valentine Carson as an adopted daughter at this time.]

      1880 US: Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona, FHL film 1254036, (National Archives Film T9-0036), p. 18B:
      George Adair, Farmer, age 20, b. UT
      Almire Adair, age 19, b. UT
      George W. Adair, age 5M., b. AZ
      Note: George's father's family listed as a neighbor.

      1900 US: San Juan County, New Mexico, Precinct No. 6 Bloomfield (Hammond):
      Adair, George W., Jan 1861, 39, Marr. 20 years, Utah, Ala, Neb, Farmer.
      Almira, Wife, Oct 1860, 40, marr. 20 years, Utah, Ala, Iowa; 10 total children, 8 living.
      Roy, Son, Jun 1882, 18, Sing, Ariz, Utah, Utah, Farm Lab.
      Bertha, Dau., Apr 1886, 14, Ariz, Utah, Utah, At School.
      Clarence, Son, Feb 1888, 12, Ariz, Utah, Utah, At School.
      Leonora, Dau., Feb 1890, 10, Ariz, Utah, Utah, At School.
      Guy, Son, Jul 1892, Ariz, Utah, Utah, At School.
      Emily, Dau., May 1894, 6, Utah, Utah, Utah.
      Betsy, Dau., Jun 1896, 4, Nev, Utah, Utah.
      Alfred, Son, May 1898, 2, Utah, Utah, Utah.

      1910 US: Ramah, McKinley, New Mexico, Roll 915 Book 2, page 127a, household/family #5 (son Roy Adair lives next door):
      George W. Adair, 48, marr. 29 years, UT MO MO, farmer.
      Almira, wife, 49, marr. 29 years, 11 total children with 8 living, UT OH IL.
      Clarence, 21, S., AZ UT UT.
      Guy, 17, AZ UT UT.
      Bessie O., 14, UT UT UT.
      Alfred C., 11, UT UT UT.
      Blanch G., 9, NM UT UT.

      2. Per website had 11 children: George William, Leroy, Don Carlos, Bertha, Clarence Duane, Lenora Ann, Guy, Emily Printha, Betsy Olive, Alford Chestnut, and Blanche Grace.

      3. Unpublished paper "Hammond History" by Don Smith of Bloomfield, New Mexico is a history of the Hammond, New Mexico where George Adair and his son George Adair, Jr. were part of the two dozen or so LDS families who settled in the area in the late 1890's. Many had come from the White Mountain aand Apache County area of Arizona. I have a copy of this history on file. The area was first settled by nonmembers of the LDS Church and was kind of a rough area at first. The area is on the San Juan river and was attractive because of the irrigation possibilities. The Hammond Ward was organized on 25 Nov 1900. George Adair, Jr. was named to the bishopric to replace second counselor Joseph W. White when White moved from the area a couple of months or so after the ward organization. The irrigation ditch was problematic with many flash floods continually washing away parts of it. So many families had moved away from the area by 1913, that the ward became a branch of the Western States Mission for the next several years. Don has copies of the ward and branch records and it appears therefrom that the Adairs were active members. In the very early days of the ward, Sunday services were held in the various homes of the ward members. In 1914, after about 14 years, a new church house was built. It was small and built of cedar posts set upright in the ground,then stuccoed with adobe mud. This little building served for church, school, community meetings, and a dance hall. It was so small that there was only room normally for a stove, 12 student desks, and the teacher's desk. For dances, the men would have to take turns in the building. School was normally held for four months a year. The children were taught by some teachers who had but eight years formal education or less. Some of the students had to walk or ride horse back as far as five miles to attend school. Recreational activities in Hammond were humble affairs. There were dances, house parties, and outdoor affairs such as baseball and footraces. Dances were a favorite recreation since they didn't cost much except for the passing around of a mason jar for donations to pay the local fiddler. Often there would be two or three dances a week. Even the little kids danced, but when it became too late the kids were put to bed in the wagon boxes while the adults continued to dance. One of the fiddlers was George Adair's son Rufus. Don Smith's son Grant still has the old fiddle in his possession as of 2003. The old leather case in which the fiddle was carried is very weathered and worn from being hooked to the saddle horn and rubbed back and forth on the side of the horse as Rufus rode horseback to play for the dances. In the summer, normally picnis were held in a large grove of cottonwood trees by the river. Every Fourth of July would be celebrated with camping in the grove in their wagons on the evening of the third. At daybreak campfires were built and the celebration began. In the mornings there would be an outdoor dance followed by pot luck at noon followed by baseball in the afternoon. There was always a patriotic talk by a member of the ward. The festivities would end with a dance lasting well into the night. The irrigation ditch never could bring enough land under cultivation and was constantly rebuilt for 20 or more years before being given up on. The water from the river was very muddy and usually had to be settled before being used domestically. The old timers used to say that "the water was too thick to pour but too thin to cut with a knife." Homes were painted with a mixture of water and soft rock mica. The mica was dug from the hillsides, washed clean, then put in an oven to bake. After baking, it was ground into a fine powder and mixed with water and applied to the walls. This homemade paint gave the homes a beautiful glitter. There never was a post office in Hammond and so they would go up the river to Largo. The water supply was always a problem leading to poor crops; consequently, the men would often go find work outside of the community. Some went to Colorado to work the timber and in the mills. Others helped lay track from Durango to Farmington for the Denver Rio Grande Southern Railroad. Some of the old ward minutes in Farmington refer to times when most all of the men of the ward were gone. In one case in 1909, there was only one brother left temporarily and he did all the ward [home] teaching by himself. In Hammond in 1909, priesthood quorum meetings were held Monday evenings every week. By 1928, most of the Hammond settlers due to hardships and hard times had given up and moved away. Rufus Adair was one who remained. Later in 1928, Hammond was combined with Bloomfield and was organized as the Bloomfield Branch which was in turn a dependent branch of the Burnham Ward in Kirtland. All that is left of the settlement is one old home from 1893 and the Hammond cemetery with a few old stones and at least twenty unmarked graves. George and Emily Tyler Adair are buried in this cemetery. George Jr. is also buried in Hammond and Rufus is buried in Farmington.

      4. From the book "Nutrioso and Her Neighbors," by Nina Kelly and Alice Lee [bracketed notes by myself]:
      p. V: "Nutrioso has never been a large town, perhaps no more than 800 at any one time." [Photo of Nutrioso in 1896 is included with article.]
      p. 31: "Alpine is about 8 miles southeast of Nutrioso, elev. 8,000', at the head of the San Francisco River. It is on the SE side of the Continental Divide while Nutrioso is on the NW side of the watershed."
      pp. 37-39: "[In speaking of Willard Lee] While they were living in Clarkston, not far from Kanab, a call came for settlers for Arizona. Late in the summer of 1879, a company started for Arizona. Besides Willard Lee's family were Abner Martin [married to dau. of James Mitchel Mangum], Samuel Neuton [Newton] Adair, John Will Mangum [son of James Mitchel], James Mitchel Mangum, Charles Y. Webb, Abe Winsor, Jacob Hamblin's wife Priscilla, Lora Brown (a widow), and others joined the company as they traveled along.[I believe Samuel J. Adair was with his son Samuel N. on this trip but I cannot prove it.] The road from Kanab led across a barren expanse into the Kaibab Forest. After ascent of the Buckskin Mountains, the trail road wound in and out through the tall pines and cedar trees, then down, down, down they went as if descending into a pit. Trees were left behind. High jagged sandstone cliffs of the Colorado Plateau loomed higher and higher. Camp was made where there was water. Often this necessitated traveling far into the night. Water barrels were carried on the sides of the wagons which furnished sufficient water for domestic use. On they traveled and camped by Houserock springs. On the vermillion colored walls they etched their names and date of trip close by other names and dates of earlier travelers who had passed that way. As they continued their journey, the cliffs began to close in. Emmit Wash and Soap Creek were passed and camp made about one mile from the huge crack in the plateau where ran the mighty muddy Colorado River... Down to the Ferry crossing. The approach to Lee's Ferry was rough and lay in a hollow at the lower end of Glen Canyon. The rapid waters emerge from the canyoun upon a reef of hard rock which slows the stream where it ripples, eddies, and sparkles in its slower course approaching the rapids just below the crossing. Just below the rapids, the Paria Creek flows into the Colorado River... The large float boat was long enough to carry two wagons at one time. The boat was propelled by oars with three men. The boat was towed upstream by horses on the bank pulling it alongside the bank for a short distance then headed up the stream at an angle and driven by oars, aided by the current that forced it across to the opposite side some distance below where it started. Two rowboats were also taken up the side of the bank above the crossing and turned into the stream leading some good swimming stock to decoy the rest of the stock to the other side. With shouts and maneuvering of the boats and swimming stock the stock swam across to the south side... The rough, rocky ascent of Lee's Back Bone was crossed and down on to the rolling plains at the foot of Echo Cliffs they went. There were the hot dry rolling plains with little vegetation and the long dusty trail of the Indian Country, the land of the Navajos... The men were always alert for Indians. When the Little Colorado was reached, all were relieved... In crossing the river, some of the stock got stuck in quicksand... In the settlements of Sunset and Joseph City, they found friends who come three years before. After a few days rest, they continued on south up the Little Colorado River. The river was a slow, sluggish stream winding its way through the sandy bed during the hot dry summer months but was a roaring muddy torrent during floods in the upper reaches of the stream. Through the petrified trees, up and down, in and out, the trail led on and on deeper into the untamed wilderness of the high mountains of snow-covered pine trees... Most of the company remained that winter at Springerville... The next spring Willard moved up on Little Nutrioso Creek. Nutrioso was a sparsely-settled valley in June 1880... In what later became the Lower town in the newly acquired Jones Valley were... George Adair, his wife and six children, and George Jr., his wife and one child."
      pp. 60-61: "George Washington Adair (son of Samuel Jefferson and Jamima Catherine Mangum Adair) b. 1837, Pickens County, AL, buried 1909, Hammond, NM. He married Ann Catherine Chessnutt, b. 1844, Missouri; d. 1863, Washington, Utah." Their children and spouses:
      George Washington, UT, 1861, Almira Hamblin.
      Jamima Ann, UT, 1863, Charles Henry Hale [Hales].
      George Washington Adair married 20 Emily Tyler. (The following was taken from US 1880 census on Nutrioso Creek, Apache County.) [Census follows.] George Washington Adair Sr. and George Washington Adair Jr. were both in the U.S. census of 1880 at Nutrioso, but they did not stay. They went to Alpine and stayed until Samuel Neuton Adair and his father came to Nutrioso in 1883, then George W. Jr. moved his family to Nutrioso for a few years.
      p. 61: "George Washington Adair (son of George Washington and Ann Catherine Chessnut Adair) b, 1861, Santa Clara, Utah; died 1934, Bloomfield, NM. He married Almira Hamblin (dau. of Wm. Haynes and Betsy Leavitt Hamblin) b. 1860, Gunlock, Utah; d. 1941, Mesa, AZ." children and their spouses:
      George Wm., b. on the trail before Lee's Ferry, 1880, d. in 1880 in Alpine.
      Leroy, Alpine, AZ, 1882, Martha Black.
      Don Carlas, Nutrioso, 1884, d. in 1886 in Nutrioso.
      Bertha, Nutrioso, 1886, 1) Thos. Finch; 2) John Finch.
      Clarence Duane, Nutrioso, 1888, Ruth Gardner.
      Lenor Ann, Overton, NV, 1891, d. in 1906.
      Guy R., Nutrioso, 1892, Pearl Irene FairChild, d. 1959 in Mesa but bur. in Nutrioso.
      Emily Parentha, Paria, UT, 1894 Joseph Rulon Ashcroft.
      Betsy Olive, Overton, NV, 1896, Scheyler Edward Fuller.
      Alfred Chessnutt, Price, UT, 1898, Helen Victoria Hill.
      Blanche Grace, Hammond, NM, 1900, d. in 1920, unmarried.
      pp. 222-223: "Judge George H. Crosby wrote a column in the St. Johns Observer for a time and among his articles was a lovely one on Nutrioso 40 years before. He called it "Nutrioso As It Was." [Some quotes follow:]
      "Then there was George Adair, the best hunter of all those mountain settlements, and incidentally one who always knew all the community news. And Mrs. Lucinda Wilkins and Aunt Francis Mangum, who soon after, became widows and who have spent their lives caring for the sick - both had hearts of gold."
      pp. 251-256: Hand drawn plot and block land map with the following comments:
      "John Staniford from Alpine built Jerry Harradence's house on Block 18, Lot 2. When George Adair moved, he sold the field east of town to Jim Webb. Jim built a large barn. He sold his place to Jerry Harradence, who established a tannery south of the barn."
      "George and Em Adair had 6 children. They lived in the field east of Block 17. The house was a 2-room sawed dove-tailed with logs 6 inches by 10 feet. He sold to Jim Webb all of the field east of the creek when George moved to Utah [New Mexico?]. George's father lived with him. Samuel Jefferson Adair was born in 1806 in South Carolina. He died in July 1889 at Nutrioso and was buried at St. Johns. Part of the time Samuel Jefferson lived with his son Nute."
      "Wesley and Rebecca Adair lived on 9-2, a one-room log house bouth from Lime Hamblin. Wesley had been in the Mormon Battalion. He lived 20 years in Nutrioso and died in 1903."
      "James Mitchel and Frances Mangum lived on 10-2. He moved in after Joe Lewis moved away."
      "Jim and Fred Wilkins were sons of Wilson Wilkins by a previous marriage. They were not married and lived in a 1-room log house on 10-4. Billy Hamblin built the house. Fred went to Utah and Jim married Caroline Mangum. There were 2 houses on this lot and Jim and Fred lived in the east one. Mary Ann [Adair] Mangum and her son Neuton [Newton] lived in the west house. It was a 1-room log."

      5. In the excerpts cited above from the book "Nutrioso and Her Neighbors," there are some things that appear to be hearsay and anecdotal. The following excellent excerpts prepared by Don Smith help clarify when the Adairs came from Utah to Arizona:
      a. From Gennett (Adair) Clark Story [daughter of Samuel Newton Adair]:
      "So on the Eleventh day of November 1879 we left Washington on our way to Arizona. I thought then that we were going so far away that we would never see Utah or our home again. At Kanab my father' s brother George W. Adair and his family joined us. In my father's family there was father, mother, my brother Charlie, myself, Abe, Minia, Mary and the baby Anna then six months old. In my uncle's family there was Uncle George, Aunt Emily, their daughter Emily, sons Daniel, William, John, Newton and baby Ruth and Aunt Emily's brother John Tyler. They were daughter and son of Daniel Tyler of the Mormon Battalion. Each family had two wagons and each had a few head of cattle besides teams and riding horses... We landed in Concho on the eleventh of January 1880. Concho was a little town, mostly mexican. One family there was William Pulsifer another Mormon Battalion man and Uncle to Aunt Emily. He had bought a place there with three small rooms, flat dirt roof and facing the north and built like this (rectangle). They let Uncle George live in the East Room, my folks had the middle room and they lived in the west room. Pulsifers had three or four children so there was seven grown people and fifteen or sixteen children, but we managed to get along until spring, then Uncle George decided to move to a place called Nutrioso. The stories he had heard of Elk, Deer and Wild Turkeys interested him."
      b. From Almira's Life Story [Almira Hamblin Adair, wife of Geo. Adair, Jr., son of Geo. and Ann Chestnut Adair]:
      "Both the Adair family and my family answered the call. The Adair family was to leave a few months before our family, so, we decided we would get married as we didn't want to be separated... There were 45 families in our company. Our Captain was Mr. John Mangum. A man of great courage, he had crossed the plains in earlier days.We were on the road seven days before we reached Lee's Ferry, on the Big Colorado. We were compelled to travel very slowly as we all had our cattle with us. In mother's herd there were about 250 head... The snow was about two feet deep by this time, but not so very cold. The next morning after the baby's birth we traveled on toward Sunset and arrived there the third day. This was a little Mormon settlement on the Little Colorado. The people who had come the year before had raised a crop so the travelers could get supplies. This little settlement was just across the Little Colorado from where Winslow is today. Just two weeks after our baby's birth, sister Jane's baby arrived, a girl. We stayed in Sunset two weeks and during that time my brother and brother-in-law put up a one roomed log cabin. Mother, brother Billy's family and Jane and her husband stayed there two months. As Baby and I were all right we went on after two weeks to Concho, where George's father and the rest of his people were. Father Adair and the Clark boys and George's Uncle Newton had been at Concho about two months when we came. They had put [up] cabins for shelter, planning to stay here until spring."
      c. Don's summary on Samuel Jefferson Adair: "I think it's very significant that Samuel Jefferson Adair wasn't mentioned as traveling with either group. I think he went to Arizona in early summer of 1880. If you look in the ordinance index, Samuel Jefferson was sealed to Betsy Mangum & Marie Christiane Sorensen on the 10 of March 1880 in the St. George Temple. The rest of the family (George Washington, Samuel Jefferson & George Jr.) was already in Arizona. I don't think Samuel would have made the rugged trip back to Utah so soon if he had been in Arizona. I believe he went to Arizona with his brother Thomas Jefferson Adair soon after the sealing date, as he appears on the 1880 census in Show Low Creek, the same community as Thomas Jefferson Adair. Show Low Creek was later known as Fool's Hollow, which is approximately 30 miles from Concho. As we know Samuel & Anne moved on to St. John's a little later."

      6. The book "An Enduring Legacy - Locality Histories," pp. 274-5:
      "Hammond, San Juan County, New Mexico. The first Mormon families who came to Hammond and Largo, New Mexico, from 1900 to 1902 were James Deaton, John L. Tenney, George Black, Sr., George Black, Jr., George Adair, Jr., George Adair, Sr., Mike Hale, Samuel Hale, Ren Huntsman, Joseph Draper, Joseph Sorenson, Delbert Brown, James W. McDaniel, Arthur Whiting, Edgar Whiting, Hans Anderson, John Norton, Sr., Tom Dustin, Robert Gillespie, George Gale, Thomas Gale, Alma Young, Bud Evans, William Reid, Sr., and Alma Cox.
      When the Hammond Ward was organized there were twelve families. On Nov. 25, 1900, President Hammond and his first counselor, William Hall, of Mancos, Colorado, presided over a meeting at Hammond and organized the first ward. The ward was called the Hammond Ward after the president. That same evening President Hammond was fatally wounded when his team of horses ran away and he was thrown form his rig. He died within 36 hours after the accident. James F. Deaton was the first bishop of the ward, his first counselor was John L. Tenney, the second counselor, George Adair, Jr."

      7. On file with me is a lengthy life history of Alfred Chestnut Adair, son of Geo. Wash. Adair, Jr. and grandson of Geo. Washington Adair, as given at his funeral 2 Apr 1983. It indicates that he was born in Price, Utah, 1 May 1898. This helps place his parents there before Hammond and most likely his grandparents as well. Typescript copy:
      "Life History of Alfred Chestnut Adair Given at his Funeral 2 April 1983.
      Alfred Chestnut Adair was born in Price, Utah the first day of May 1898. He was the 10th child of 11 children of George Washington Adair, Jr. and Almira Hamblin.
      He spent most of his childhood in the Farmington, New Mexico area and his favorite pastime was trapping.
      As was quite common at that time, Chess, as he was known throughout most of his life, had little formal schooling and did not get past the 4th grade. Ninety percent of his schooling came from actual experience and he became very proficient in many trades.
      Chess's family moved rather frequently and lived in various places in Southern Utah, Northern New Mexico and northern Arizona. When he was about 18 years. Old they moved to Mesa. Being a patriotic young man he was preparing to enter the military services when World War I came to an end and he was not privileged to serve his country in that way.
      His interests turned to other things and one night at a dance in Alma Ward he met a nice young lady buy the name of Helena Victoria Hille. Just before he turned 21 he won her hand and on 9 April 1919 they started a marriage that lasted almost 64 years. They had their good times and they had their hard times, but by being very frugal they were able to take care of their family without going into debt.
      Chess was a very hard worker and a very honest man. He believed in earning his pay and even doing more than was asked of him. It would have been very easy several times to go on welfare to provide for his family, but he was too proud.
      Their first Child, Milton, was born in Mesa. The wandering but had apparently been born in Chess, so like his parents, he and Lena were on the go. Their 2nd Child, Alfred W., was born in Bloomfield, New Mexico.
      Chess took every opportunity he could to increase his work knowledge. Every job he took he learned it well and did a good job. You might say he was a 'Jack of all trades and master of most.' One time he hot the job of felling some trees on the University of Arizona Experimental farm her I M4esa. The trees had to fall in a certain place. He said he could fell them exactly where he wanted. To the surprise of those he did the job for, every tree fell where he intended for it to.
      Chess also worked for the mines for a while. One of the fun things he liked to do during his lifetime was prospecting. He never struck it rich but he had fun looking.
      Another thing he loved to do was hunt and fish. He wouldn't kill just for the thrill. He believed in killing only for food. The first time he went hunting he was 19 and went with a group to get meat for their families. Chess killed 5 deer so they went home with their wagon loaded.
      It seems that each job he took he would become very proficient and many times was urged to take a job as a foreman. Apparently this was not to his liking so each time he would pack up his family and move.
      After various occupations he finally ended up in the building trade. He became very good at it. He built the first units of the Winter Garden Motel and helped on the additional ones. Brown and Brown stands on that property today. There are many homes in Mesa that are his handiwork.
      Chess and Lena had 5 boys - Milton, Al, Norman, Charles and Leonard, before they finally got their girl, LaPreel. You can imagine how happy they were and how spoiled she became. She was the apple of her daddy's eye. It was diagnosed that she had rheumatic fever while they lived in Salt Lake City, so again they had to pull up roots and moved to Mesa in 1944. The three oldest boys, Milton, Al and Norman, were in the armed services at the time. Chess built a nice home at 145 East 1st Ave.
      After Al got out of the Navy he and his dad went into the building business together. They built several homes and Al decided to make the Navy his career. That ended their partnership, but Chess kept in it until he retired.
      Chess had several brushes with death and the first was when he was 4 years old. He fell off the wagon and wheel ran over his head and split it open. Not being very close to a doctor, it took hours to get him treated. He carried the scars on his forehead the rest of his life."
      [Kerry's note: with the above I also have copies of his birth certificate, marriage license and certificate, death certificate, and two photos.]
      Some of the grandchildren remember that grandpa was an expert at removing slivers with his pocketknife. It was very scary but he could do it without it hurting. Some would let no one else remove them.
      LaPreel remembers her daddy playing "The Bear Went Over The Mountain" on his French harmonica for her when she was young. His grandchildren missed out on this area of his talents because false teeth and harmonicas don't work too well together.
      About 2 years ago Chess had a stroke that left his left side numb, but he still walked and kept active. Then he gradually started declining in health and finally got pneumonia. When he finally had to be moved to his son Charles' place he would not leave his home until he combed his hair. He finally had to be admitted to the hospital and after a short time there he passed away Thursday afternoon, 31 March 1983. He is survived by his wife, Lena, 4 sons - Milton, Norman, Charles and Leonard - his daughter LaPreel, one sister -Bessie- 20 grandchildren and 36 Great Grandchildren."

      8. From Don and Carolyn Smith, 2003:
      "As told by Donald Ray Adair, son of LeRoy Adair, son of George Washington Adair Jr.
      This was about 1919: Donald was about 5 years of age at the time. George Washington Adair Jr. and his son LeRoy Adair, their wives (Martha Ann Black and Almira Hamblin), and some of LeRoy's children, Lucille, Ken, Ervin and Don. (Don couldn't remember if there were any more of the children with them.) They moved from Monticello, Utah, with a herd of about 100 head of cattle to a reach southeast of Ramah. Here they acquired three sections of land under the Homestead Act.
      The women drove two wagons; each wagon had four horses hitched to it. The men and kids drove the cattle. Some times the kids got to ride a horse. They camped out at night. This trip was done in two stages. The first summer was spent getting to Bloomfield, New Mexico. They spent the winter there. The second summer was spent going from Bloomfield to Ramah, and on out to their newly acquired property.
      They raised oats, corn, and alfalfa to feed their cattle. They depended on the rain to fill a pot tank for the household water and also for their irrigation. LeRoy had one section and George two. They each had their own homes on their property. They did most of their grocery and other shopping at the Ashcroft Trading Post just south of them.
      They lived at this location for about two years then they decided they couldn't make a go of it and sold it. They moved to Mesa, Arizona, where they had a job waiting for them. They went down in the same two wagons that had brought them from Utah. These wagons had canvas tops. They were slept in at night as they camped. Donald remembers that at one time his Grandpa (George Jr.) shot a deer to eat. They went by way of Flagstaff to Prescott to Yarnell Hill down to Wickenburg, and on to Mesa. They stayed a year in Mesa, then they returned to Ramah. When asked why they moved so often, Donald's reply was. 'They'd get a few dollars in their pockets and move on. It's just the way they were.'"

      9. From Don and Carolyn Smith, 2003, by Ida L. Hamblin, cousin:
      "Obituary of Guy R. Adair.
      Guy R. Adair, son of George W. Adair and Almira Hamblin, was born July 3, 1892, at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona. He had five brothers and five sisters, making a total of eleven children born to this couple. Two brothers and three sisters survive him. He was a member on record of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He came from typical pioneer stock, and their names are linked with much of the early day history of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona.
      His parents came to Arizona as a young married couple and settled at Nutrioso, Apache County, Arizona where Guy was born, high up in the White Mountains, surrounded by beautiful scenery, and among some of the best neighbors and friends one could ever have. Here wild life was abundant and other conditions which made for a good wholesome life. His father and grandfather before were experts at hunting and fishing so it was only natural that Guy would follow their example, and he became an expert with his rifle, and never failed to bring home his deer.
      His father spent much of his time contracting, mostly in the timber, cutting and hauling logs. His family always went with him, and because of this fact Guy's schooling as far as book learning was concerned was very limited-but through experience and reading in his spare time, he became schooled in many things of life. When he was about fifteen years old he had a very bad sick spell. At the time no one seemed to know what it was, but later when more was learned about rheumatic fever, there is no doubt but that was what he had, and perhaps weakened his heart, which caused much of his trouble in later life.
      Only for this sick spell, his life was uneventful until he met the girl who was to become his wife, Irene FairChild. They met in Ramah, McKinley County, New Mexico in 1920 and after a years courtship were married the 6th of September 1921 in Gallup, New Mexico. At this time Guy had a homestead about fourteen miles south of Ramah, New Mexico. This was their first home and they were extremely happy. While residing here their first Child, a boy, was born to them. They named him Raymond. Times were hard and difficult for them, money scarce and crops failed for lack of moisture, so they abandoned the homestead and moved to Bloomfield, New Mexico. From there they moved to Pine, Arizona in 1924 where they rented a small ranch and Guy went to work for the Gila County Highway Department maintenance, and also for the Arizona Power Co., as flume repairman. In 1927 their daughter, Virginia, was born. Guy was very happy to have a little daughter added to their family. No father could have been more proud, now he had a loving and devoted wife and a boy and a girl to labor for.
      He continued on with his work until 1930, when his parents came to visit them. His father was getting along in years and his health was failing him, so after talking it all over with Guy, they decided the best thing to do would be for Guy to, again pull stakes and return with his parents to the San Juan Basin, as it seemed they would be depending more and more on him for help. go true to his inborn nature of sacrificing self for others, he left a good paying job, to go with his folks to establish a home near them where he could assist them in their declining years. In February 1931, a little son was added to their family named Wilbur John. Guy obtained employment with a road construction company at Kirtland driving one of their big trucks. When this job was completed it became necessary for Guy to again seek employment. As we were going into the years of the depression and work In the San Juan Basin was very scarce, many men had to leave home to seek employment, and Guy was one of them. Early spring of 1931 found him again in Pine, Arizona. He went to work for a private company falling timber. His work was about twelve miles from Pine. He left his family in Fruitland, New Mexico with his parents and hoped to be able to send for them later. But fate ruled It otherwise for one day in April, while felling a tree, he was caught by the tree, crushing his left leg below the knee. This happened about two in the afternoon and someone had to go to Pine for help to get him out of the deep canyon he was in. No car or wagon could get to where he was, so he was brought out on a stretcher by able bodied men. This all took time, so it was late afternoon of the following day that he was taken to Prescott hospital where he lay four or five weeks. In all those long hours following the accident he had nothing to relieve the pain. Had it not been for his strong physical condition, he would not have lived and the doctors marveled that he did. Being so long without medical care and losing so much blood, he pleaded with the doctors to save his leg, for he well knew that without the use of both legs he could not go on doing the things he so much loved doing, such as dancing, riding, hunting and working in the wide open spaces. But it was his leg or his life, as blood poisoning had set in. So his leg was sacrificed to save his life. During all this trying ordeal, his wife was unable to be with him. She was home caring for the tiny baby and the other children. It was a sad Guy, who after being released from the hospital returned to his family. Three days after his return they buried their infant son. Guy never gave up. He was a good carpenter and cabinet maker. Prior to his accident, he did this work as a hobby, but now he must use this skill to provide for his family.
      He built a home in Bloomfield and set up a shop where he could make a business of his trade. Later in Farmington he did the same. In 1939 he returned to Pine. Here another daughter, Marguerette (Peggy), was born. In 1940 his wife began having trouble with her eyes and was under a doctor's care for two years, and nearly lost her vision. They moved to Mesa in the fall of 1941 where she could be near a good doctor. This winter he did odd Jobs of anything he could find to do.
      In the spring he left his family in Mesa and went to Ft. Wingate to work in defense work and continued working all during the war, mostly filing saws for the defense plants there and at Grants. In 1943 another son was born to them. They named him Dennis. After the war ended he was working on an Auto Court in Winslow, when he had a bad heart attack and was taken to Gallup, and was in bed for about five months. They decided to come to the Salt River Valley thinking the lower climate would be beneficial to him, and no doubt it did add years to his life.
      He was among the first few to build homes on the desert south of the knolls. Guy was never quite well after the heart attack, so it was with much determination and difficulty, that his home was completed. He still did cabinet and carpentry to help with their living expenses and the expense of building. Most of the furniture in their home was made by him, and will be passed down through the ages as a monument of his skill and determination to keep trying under all obstacles. He leaves much of his work as a builder wherever he has lived.
      He became very ill in January 1958, and had several bad heart attacks during the years In December he was taken to the South side District Hospital, where he remained until the 10th of January, when he was taken home. He grew steadily worse, and suffered constantly until he passed away April 8th, 1959. His wife, Irene and son Dennis were with him at his passing. Irene had been with him constantly during all his sickness, as she had stood by him all during their married life, to give comfort and aid.
      Guy loved people, and was a friend to those who needed a friend! Very reserved and quiet spoken, he made friends wherever he went, and it can truthfully be said of him that he had no enemies. He loved music and many have enjoyed his music on the violin. He leaves behind to mourn his passing, his wife, Irene, his sons, Dennis of Mesa and Raymond of Phoenix and his daughters, Virginia Medlock of Gallup, New Mexico and Marguerette (Peggy) Christensen of Page. Two brothers, Roy of Gallup and Chess of Mesa. Three sisters, Bertha McDaniel of Bloomfield, New Mexico, Emma Finch of Farmington, New Mexico and Bessie Slade of Kirtland and many other relatives and friends."

      1. FHL Film 2456: "Early LDS Church Membership Records for Nutrioso, Arizona": Record of the Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Nutrioso Ward, St. Johns Stake of Zion. Page 26 entries:
      No number 1.
      2. Almira Adair; father: William H. Hamblin; mother: Betsy Levitt; b. 6 Oct 1860 at Gunlock, Washington, Utah; blessing 1871 by William H. Hamblin; first baptism by Geo. H. Crosby; first confirmation 1871 by Bro. Terry; removed to parts unknown.
      3. Geo. William Adair, Jr.; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 1 Jan 1880 at Yavopia Co., Arizona; blessing by Geo. W. Adair, Sr.; died 10 Jul 1880; buried at Alpine.
      4. Leroy Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 22 Jan 1882 at Alpine, Apache, Arizona; blessing by E.A. Noble: first baptism: 1 May 1890 by Jacob Hamblin; first confirmation: 1 May 1890 by L.J. Brown; removed to parts unknown.
      5. Don Carlos Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 16 Jul 1884 at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona; blessing by Edward Noblee; died 17 Feb 1886; buried at Nutrioso.
      6. Bertha Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 9 Apr 1886 at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona; blessing 24 Apr 1886 by Samuel Adair; removed to parts unknown.
      7. Clarance C. Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 15 Jan 1888 at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona; removed to parts unknown.
      8. Lenora Ann Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 17 Feb 1890 at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona; blessing 31 May 1890 by ?? Pace; removed to parts unknown.
      9. Guy Adair; father: Geo. W. Adair; mother: Almira Hamblin; b. 3 Jul 1892 at Nutrioso, Apache, Arizona; blessing 11 Sep 1892 by ?? Pace; removed to parts unknown.

      2. FHL film 392631 LDS "Patriarchal Blessings Index": George Washington Adair, b. 26 Jan 1861 at Santa Clara River mouth, parents Geo. Washington Adair & Jemima Ann Chestnut. Blessing date 16 Nov 1889 at New Harmony, Utah. Lineage: Ephraim. Patriarch Daniel Tyler. Vol. 262, p. 180.

      1. Per 8 Feb 2002 email of Carolyn Smith in regards to gravesite: "We know that he was buried in the Hammond Cemetery. Don, my husband, extracted the information from the old Young Stake History. It says, George Washington Adair Jr., then gives his death date, and states that he was buried in the Hammond Cemetery. We have checked with the Bloomfield Cemetery Board and they have no record of him being buried in the Bloomfield Cemetery. What our question is, what plot or location was he buried in. We feel that it is probably likely that he was buried next to his son Clarence D. Adair. There is a grave located next to Clarence D. Adair's grave on the south side. There is a metal marker on this grave but it is so weathered that it is impossible to read. Could this have been George Washington Adair Jr.'s grave."