Robert Mattinson

Male 1835 - 1919  (84 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Robert Mattinson 
    Born 16 Jul 1835  Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 6 Dec 1919  Payson, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 8 Dec 1919  Payson City Cemetery, Payson, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I204  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 4 Oct 2014 

    Family Betsey Charlton Burnhope,   b. 19 Jun 1848, Whitburn, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Aug 1922, Payson, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 74 years) 
    Married 23 Aug 1869  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F10  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1851 Eng: Bishop Wearmouth, Durham, p. 8 of 29, #34:
      Robert Mattinson, 47, mariner, b. Durham, Sund.
      Ann, wife, 39, b. Yorkshire, Mir'd.
      Susanna, dau., 17, b. Durham, Sund.
      Robert, son, 15, app. shipwright, b. Lancashire.
      John, son, 11, b. Yorkshire, Leeds.
      George, son, 7, b. Cheshire, Staly B.

      1880 US: Payson, Utah, Utah, NA film T9-1338, p. 215C:
      Robt. Mattinson, farmer, M, 42, Eng Eng Eng.
      Betsey, keeping house, wife, M, 30, Eng Eng Eng.
      Elizabeth A., at home, S, 10, UT Eng Eng.
      Lauretta S., at home, S, 8, UT Eng Eng.
      Minnie W., at home, S, 6, UT Eng Eng.
      Annia, at home, S, 4, UT Eng Eng.
      Robt. F., at home, S, 1, UT Eng Eng.
      Ann Mattinson, mother, W, 68, Eng Eng Eng.
      John Mattinson, brother, clerk, S, 41, Eng Eng Eng.

      1900 US: 2nd Ward, Payson, Utah, Utah, p. 155A:
      Robt. Mattison, Jul 1835, 64, marr. 31 years, Eng Eng Eng, immigrated 1856, Stockman.
      Betsie C. wife, Jun 1848, 51, marr. 31 years, 10 total children all living, Eng Eng Eng, immigrated 1868.
      Minnie, dau., Sep 1876, 23, S, UT Eng Eng.

      1. Photo on file from website

      1. Biographical sketch of Robert Mattinson, "Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah," pg. 1027: "Mattinson, Robert (son of Peter Mattinson, born Dec. 3, 1803, and Ann Shaw, born Feb. 6, 1812, of Sunderland, Eng.). He was born July 16, 1835, Lancashire, Eng. Came to Utah Nov. 30 1856, Edward Martin handcart company. Married Betsy C. Burnhope (daughter of Isaac Burnhope and Elizabeth Charlton, latter a pioneer Aug. 19, 1868, John R. Murdock company). She was born in England. Their children: E.A., m. James Nolan; Laura S., m. Peter Borup; Marie, m. Richard Barrett; Ann, m. J.F. Rushter; R. Frank; H.B. b. Nov. 24, 1880; Effie M., m. E.O. Simons; Joseph B., m. Ella Balch; Roy B. b. Sept. 11, 1891; Veatus b. Oct 16, 1893. Family home Payson, Utah."

      2. Parents: Robert Mattinson, born 3 Dec 1803 at Sunderland, Durham, England and died 15 Oct 1856 on the plains on the north side of the Platte River in Nebraska and Ann Pshaw (Shaw?) born 6 Feb 1812 at Mirfield, Yorkshire, England and died 22 Mar 1898 at Payson, Utah, Utah. Father was baptized 3 Apr 1848 and mother on 16 Feb 1847.

      3. Autobiography; 4 Nov 2002 source: Jake Mattinson. E-mail . Webpage <>: "I, Robert Mattinson, son of Robert and Ann Pshaw Mattinson, was born July 16, 1835, Ashton Underline, Lancashire, England. At the age of 20, I, with my parents, who had joined the Church in 1847, emigrated to America. We landed at Boston and from there traveled to Chicago by railroad. It was then a mere village. The first night we spent there was the 3rd of July. The noise was terrific, as they were starting that early to celebrate the fourth. From there we traveled to Iowa City, where I, with my parents, two brothers and one sister, joined the Martin's handcart company, and we started a thirteen hundred mile journey to Utah. We crossed the Missouri River and traveled 300 miles to Florence to refit and lighten our loads. The Company set forth from Florence on the last of July. On each handcart was placed flour and our clothing, as the wagons would hold the entire load. At first we traveled 15 miles a day, although delays were caused by the breaking of wheels and axles, the heat and dryness making many of them rickety and unable to stand their loads without frequent repair. We traveled along, standing guard at night. We had ox-teams which hauled the tents and what provisions we had, and when we came to a sandy bad road, we helped the teams what we could by pulling. We took turns herding the cattle and all that were able helped stand guard at night. There was plenty of game and hundreds of buffalo but they were too far away to be shot. We now came to the open prairie country where nothing could be seen but grass and passed the remains of the outfit of W. A. Babbit, Thomas Margetts and one woman, who were killed by the Indians and everything burned. There were other companies ahead and we could read on the bleached buffalo skulls how far ahead they were. Provisions were scarce and we were cut down to one pound of flour a day. After that my father began to weaken but never failed to do his share of the work and help pull the handcart. He worked all day with little to eat and when night came he gathered wood to build a fire, set up the tent, then went to lie down and when he was called to supper he could not be awakened. He died that night, but we could tell nothing about his death, only by the breathing and the rattling in his throat, as we had no light. He was buried the next morning near Deercreek. Nights were getting colder and guarding was getting to be very oppressive. Deaths were frequent. Gradually the old and infirm began to droop, even able-bodied men, a few of them continuing to pull their carts until the day of their death. Rations were again cut, and we had not enough to keep up our strength. When we reached Laramie I tried to buy a little food of some kind, but could get nothing but a quart of corn, which we ate without cooking. Travelling began to be very tedious. Every day brought its hardships, fighting against hunger and cold weather and bed covering was not sufficient to keep us warm. It would be midnight many nights before all the company would be assembled. Men were detailed to help the weak ones into camp and many were frostbitten, losing fingers, toes and ears and dying from exposure. After leaving Laramie rations were cut to a quarter of a pound of flour a day, and at one camping ground thirteen corpses were buried. After crossing the North Platte, we had our first snowstorm. We could not make distances. Cattle were too poor, so we had to give up night herding. After the snow we stopped for two or three days to get rested and to grease the carts. Some shod the axles with old leather, others with tin from their mess outfits, while for grease they used their allowance of bacon and even what little soap they had. We made very short drives. Days were getting shorter and the people were getting weary. The snow fell, and many of the cattle were devoured by wolves, while others were perishing from the cold. Here we saw the first Salt Lake man, Joseph A. Young, the first of the relief party that came to find us. After seeing this brother, it seemed to give the people new strength, and rations were increased to a little more flour out of the two remaining sacks. In the evening as we neared Devi1's Gate, there were many who did not expect to see the light of another day. It had stormed all day and was one of the worst days. We traveled on through the storm, and it was hard to keep the people alive. The night was terrible. Part of the stockade was cut down to burn, and the other part was left to shelter us from the piercing cold. The next evening we crossed the Sweetwater to Martin's Ravine where there was plenty of cedar wood. The water was waist deep and just freezing enough to let us through the ice. It was a bitter cold night. Some of the relief party that was with us carried the women and children over. People too weary and cold, ate their scanty bit of flour dry. We put up our tent, cleaned out the snow, and that night the wind did not blow. After leaving this camping ground we traveled about seven miles a day, and it was the first time I did not pull a handcart. The relief party carried the women and children in their wagons. Even those short distances, it was a hardship to walk. Every day brought a few more of the relief party, and from that time on we began to get a little more to eat. We next stopped at Green River and the day we crossed, it was given out by the captain that everyone who was able must cross on the ice, the river being frozen over. The weather was bitter cold, but we had good fires as the relief party found the most convenient places to gather wood. In the meantime there were from seven to ten deaths a night. The next morning they were buried, nothing to put them but the grave. I was called to help bury the dead. It was a terrible job, as they were buried just as they were dressed. At last we arrived at the foot of the big mountain. The cattle and wagons had broken a track, So it was possible for us to walk over, and there was not a woman who crossed who had on a pair of stockings, and everyone who was able was ordered to walk. It took just one whole day to get over it, and we camped in between the mountains. It was a cold night and we had nothing but green Willows to burn. But we had plenty to eat for the first time, together with some clothing and buffalo robes for the worst off. The next day, being the last day of November, brought us into Salt Lake, Sunday, November 30, 1856. Meeting was dismissed for the people to meet those that they knew. Some old friends of Mother's took us to their homes for a few days. Later I came to Payson and after resting for a few weeks went to work with others in the canyon to make a dugway. In this way we had our wood to burn, as mother had also settled in Payson. In the spring of 1857 I again went to Salt Lake, to work for Bishop Sharp of the Twentieth Ward for ten dollars a month and board. While working for this man, a letter came from England which cost a quarter. I did not have it, nor could not get it, but my employer got it out of the office for me. The next year the people went up Cotton Wood Canyon to celebrate the 24th of July. I was working for John Sharp at the time, so I went with his family. The Saints were gathered about one thousand in number, when word came that the United States Army was coming. They had stopped the mail and were coming to stop the Mormon Rebellion. It was here that Brigham Young made his speech. He said that they had been settled in Utah ten years and that he asked no odds of them and if they came he would treat them as an armed mob, as he was Governor and had not been notified of their coming. The Saints danced all night, as there was two dancing floors. They sang patriotic songs and made speeches. They were not discouraged at the news that the soldiers were coming. Next day all returned to their homes. As the army approached Salt Lake, President Young called out the minutemen to watch the soldiers, which they did all through the summer and fall. When the troops were in express distance there was a correspondence between President Young and Colonel Alexandra, and the messages were read to the people on Sundays. Our men hindered them all they could. They captured some cattle and mules, among them was a white mule, a favorite of Colonel Alexandra's and he sent word to President Young he would like it sent back, and was told he could get it in the spring in good condition. Later that fall the troops reached Bridger, where General Sydrra A. Johnson joined them and was determined to come into Salt Lake. There was quite a number of men called out. Echo canyon was fortified. I was on guard in Salt Lake at that time. The army had made a move to Hams Fork where they were snowed in. The saints would pray that the army would be prevented from entering Salt Lake. In the spring of 1858 the people were determined that if the soldiers did enter, they would leave, and leave it as they found it, a desert. They were going to burn their homes and cut all their trees down, All the missions were abandoned and the missionaries called home. The people were determined to leave the city, and I was called with others to the White Mountains to find places for the Saints to retreat to. We left in March and as we traveled south we gathered our company. We took seeds and plows to put in crops, but the country was too dry, nothing could be raised on account of having no water. Meantime the Peace Commissioners and the new governor, Governor Cummings, arrived and the troops were sent to Cedar Valley, known as Camp Floyd. So the city was quiet once more. I returned to Salt Lake in September and worked at various things. I decided to go with a few others to Bridger to build a fort, so I engaged myself as a teamster in the Government train of six yoke of oxen. When the Pony Express started I went to work on the road. Having made a success of that, the Government started a stagecoach once a day with the mail. There was much trouble with the Indians and many lost their lives. Soldiers were sent out to protect the mail. I worked with the stage for some years, off and on until the railroad was built. I was helping build a station at Dudway for the express company. We had just pitched our tents for the night when the Indians came upon us. There were just three of us and a pony. They fired into our camp, and one of the bullets just scaled the back of my head. It was a narrow escape. We thought it would be safer to leave, and by the help of tall sagebrushes we went a few miles before we stopped to spend the night. The Indians took all we had except the pony which they had no use for and dared not touch him as they could not ride at that time. They cut open a grip I had with me, and took all my clothes. After that there were soldiers sent to every station.
      Returning to Camp Floyd I bought a team and wagon. My brother George, with others took these and went to the States for the first telegraph wire for the Desert Telegraph Company. He was gone all summer. The spring of 1862, I again went to work for John Sharp, one of my old employers. It was here I was called from the Twentieth Ward to go to the States for the emigration. I took two missionaries with me, George and Samuel Nelson, and did not return until the following October. I went again on the mail land. I was working at Canyon Station and when President Lincoln was assassinated, the message was read at every station along the line. I stayed one year at this place. Myself and my partner were there alone one night when the Indians came upon us. They had one hundred head of horses they had stolen. The station had been burned and eight soldiers killed previous to my going there. We were in bed as the Indians rode up to the door. We let them in and they asked for some water and something to eat. We pointed out where we kept the things and did not move. They asked if we were frightened but we said no. They did not harm us at that time and soon left the station. After Lincoln's assassination, Miller and Russell started to run daily coaches and made a success of it. I married Miss Betsy C. Burnhope, August 23, 1869, and have made Payson my home ever since." Also included on webpage:
      "Robert Mattinson, son of Robert and Frances Mattinson, born December 19, 1804, Sunderland, County of Durham, England. Baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints April 3, 1848, by Elder William Knox.
      Ann Pshaw Mattinson, daughter of Mathew and Susanna Shaw, born February 6, 1812, Mirfield, County of Yorkshire, England. Baptized February 16, 1847, by Elder Candland.
      Robert Mattinson, son of Robert and Ann Pshaw Mattinson, born July 16, 1835, Ashton, Underline, Lancashire, England, Baptized September 25, 1847, by Elder William Knox. Died December 6, 1922 [note that this date appears to be erroneous when compared with obituary].
      Betsy C. Mattinson, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Burnhope, born June 19, 1848, Stay-the-Voyage, county of Durham, England. Baptized August 16, 1862, by Elder M. C. Farnsworth. Died August 17, 1922.
      Robert and Betsy Mattinson were married August 23, 1869, Salt Lake City, by Daniel H. Wells in the Endowment House.
      Isaac Burnhope, son of William and Mary Burnhope, born August 1805. Baptized by Elder William Knox. Died February 14, 1869, Salt Lake City. [Note dates are in variance to what I use.]
      Elizabeth Burnhope, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Charlton, born October 21, 1803. Baptized by Elder William Knox." [Note date is in variance to what I use.]

      1. Per obituary.

      2. Per autobiography.

      3. Sunderland Branch LDS Records, Durham, England, 1843-1855, 1869; FHL film 87035, p. 1 [listed with the Isaac Burnhope family]: "Robert Mattinson, b. 16 Jul 1835 at Ashton Underline, bapt. 25 Sep 1847 at Hendon by Wm. Knox and confirmed by Wm. Knox."

      4. Per burial index cited below.

      1. Per obituary.

      2. Per autobiography. Also per biographical citation above: "Robert and Betsy Mattinson were married August 23, 1869, Salt Lake City, by Daniel H. Wells in the Endowment House."

      1. Utah State Historical Society Burials Database, online: Robert Mattinson, b. 16 Jul 1835, d. 6 Dec 1919, Payson City Cemetery 30_7_1, father is Robert Mattinson.

      1. Per obituary.

      2. Per burial Index cited above.

      3. Not found in the "Index to the Utah County Cemeteries, 1850's to 1996," compiled by Diane R. Parkinson and located at the family history center at the BYU Provo library.

      1. "Last Tribute Paid Pioneer of Payson. (Special Correspondence.) Payson, Dec. 8. - Funeral services for Robert Mattinson were held today at 1 o'clock in the Second ward chapel, Counselor Joseph D. Stark in charge. The opening prayer was by Joseph S. Bills. The speakers were John C. Taylor and J. S. Page. Selections were sung by the ward choir and Prof. Carl O. Nelson and Arthur Jones sang a duet. The closing prayer was by Jesse S. Taylor. The grave was dedicated by Isaac Hansen. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. Robert Mattinson, son of Robert and Ann Pshaw Mattinson was born July 16, 1835, at Ashton Underline, Lancashire, England. At the age of 20 he with his parents, two brothers and one sister, who had joined the Church in 1847, came to America. They landed at Boston and from there traveled to Chicago by railroad. From there they traveled to Iowa City, where they joined Martin's handcart company and commenced the journey to Utah. They suffered all the privations and hardships of that company and landed in Salt Lake City, Nov. 30, 1856. He served as guard at the time the troops arrived from the east. In the spring of 1858 he was called with others to go to the White Mountains. They gathered their company, tools, seeds and plows to put in crops, but the country was so dry nothing could be raised. He returned to Salt Lake City in September of the same year and found everything quiet. He worked at various jobs and when the poney [sic] express started he went to work as a teamster in a government train of six yoke of owen. He worked with the stage for some years until the railroad was built. He was working at Canyon station when President Lincoln was assinated [sic]. He married Betsy C. Burnhope, Aug. 23, 1869, and moved to Payson, where he had since made his home. He is survived by his wife, four sons and five daughters, also 22 grandchildren." Obituary in the Salt Lake City newspaper, Deseret Evening News, Wed., 10 Dec 1919, p. 3.

      2. "Death of One of the Martin Handcart Pioneers. Mr. and Mrs. Richard Barnett, of the Pertola cafe, have returned from Payson where they attended the funeral services for Robert Mattinson, the father of Mrs. Barnett. Although 84 years old, Mr. Mattinson was in excellent health until Thanksgiving day when he slipped while sweeping snow from his porch. He received injuries which resulted in his death. Mr. Mattinson was born July 16, 1835, in England and came to Utah with the Martin handcart company in 1856. He underwent terrible hardships upon this trip. His father's death occurred on the journey to Utah. The pioneer leaves his wife, one brother, George Mattinson and the following children: Mrs. Emma Borup of Eureka, Mrs. Minnie Barnett of Ogden, Mrs. Vetus Bingham of Benjamin, Mrs. Elizabeth Simons, Frank, Henry, Joseph and Roy Mattinson of Payson. On August 3 last, Mr. and Mrs. Mattinson and their children held a celebration at Payson, the date marking the golden wedding anniversay of the marriage of the Mattinsons." Newspaper clipping on file with no citation but probably of Ogden, Utah.