Stephen Henry Hales

Male 1820 - 1881  (61 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Stephen Henry Hales 
    Born 15 Oct 1820  Rainham, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 21 Jan 1821  Rainham, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 28 Oct 1881  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 2 Nov 1881  Salt Lake Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1822  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 14 Jan 2015 

    Father Stephen Hales, III,   b. 10 Sep 1791, Stockbury, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Oct 1846, Fort Madison, Lee, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 55 years) 
    Mother Mary Ann Hales,   b. 11 Oct 1799, Minster-in-Sheppy, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Aug 1851, Cobble Hills, Reins, Nebraska, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 51 years) 
    Married 31 Aug 1816  Rodmersham, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F136  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Eveline Lydia Carter,   b. 24 Sep 1821, Benson, Rutland, Vermont, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Aug 1898, Bountiful, Davis, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years) 
    Married 16 Oct 1842  Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Franklin Alexander Hales,   b. 16 Jan 1859, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Mar 1935, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years)
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F830  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Henrietta Keys,   b. 25 Dec 1821, Waverly, Pike, Ohio, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Feb 1901, Kaysville, Davis, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years) 
    Married 23 Dec 1851  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F984  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1840 US: Quincy First Ward, Adams, Illinois, related families:
      P. 6a:
      Stephen Hales, males 10-15:1; 15-20:1; 30-40:1; 40-50:1//females 15-20:1; 40-50:1. [Stephen, his wife Mary Ann, Henry W.(12), George (18), {not sure who the 30-40 male and the 15-20 female would be unless it was Charles, age 23 and not over 30, and his new bride Julia Ann, under age 20 - either way it would live Stephen, age 20, unaccounted for}. I do not find Charles or Stephen separately in same census.]
      P. 7a:
      John Ellis, males 20-30:1//females 15-20:2. [Not sure who the second female would be.]
      P. 15a [2nd Ward]:
      Joseph Horne, males 0-5:1; 20-30:1//females 20-30:1.

      1850 US: Dist. 14, Decatur, Iowa, p. 326b, dwellings 39-42, 30 Oct 1850; note there are only about 16 pages of census for this area versus 188 for Pottawattamie County; also note that the families of George, Charles, Henry, Stephen Hales and their mother Mary Ann Thompson were all neighbors - Mary Ann's husband had died in 1846 and she remarried to William Thompson; she dies herself in about 6 months:
      Dwelling 39:
      William Thompson, 46, farmer, Scotland.
      Mary A., 51, Eng.
      Daniel 17, farmer, Canada.
      David 19, farmer, Scotland.
      William, 15, Canada.
      Maria, 12, MO.
      Orville, 9, Ill.
      Dwelling 40:
      George Hales, 28, printer, Eng.
      Sarah A., 27, NY.
      Mary A., 6.
      Harriett, 4, Iowa.
      Dwelling 41:
      Charles Hales, 33, bricklayer, Eng.
      Julia A., 26, NY.
      Eliza A., 9, IL.
      Julia A., 8, IL.
      George G., 6, IL.
      Mary J. 4, IL.
      Charles H., 2, IL.
      Henry H. Hales, 21, farmer, Eng.
      Eliza A., 20, PA.
      Dwelling 42:
      Stephen Hales, 30, stonecutter, Eng.
      Eveline, 20, VT.
      Stephen, 1, IA.

      1880 US: 18th Ward, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, NA film T9-1337, p. 158B:
      Stephen E. Hales, stone cutter, M, 60, Eng Eng Eng.
      Evaline Hales, wife, 58, VA [bad transcription of VT?], Ire., NJ.

      2. I list one child, Franklin Hales, who married back into the Hales line. Stephen did have 10 children from his first wife and four from his second.

      1. Pictures in possession of Kerry Petersen in file folder with father's family group.

      2. The book "Mormon Redress Petitions, Documents of the 1833-1838 Missouri Conflict," edited by Clark V. Johnson, contains a copy of the "Scroll Petition" dated 28 Nov 1843 at Nauvoo, IL addressed to the U.S. Congress by members of the LDS Church who had property destroyed by Missouri mobs in the 1830's. Included with over a couple thousand signatures are those of Stephen Hales, Jr. and "Ecerline" Hales.

      3. Per article which appeared in the "Church News," he was a skilled stonemason. Helped fend off persecution in Far West, Mo., accompanied the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum Smith to Nauvoo following their martyrdom, and carved the oxen in the baptismal font of the Nauvoo Temple. Made the trek from Iowa to SLC as part of the Garden Grove Company in 1851. It was reported that he danced at Brigham Youngs's home, and was involved in the building of the Salt Lake Temple. He was the sculptor of the "Hands of Fellowship" which depicts two masculine hands clasped in a handshake of brotherhood. The long shirtsleeve on the one hand, coupled with the robe on the other hand, denotes a friendship that extends across the veil. Identical carvings are positioned above the center windows on the east and west sides of the Salt Lake Temple. This is captured in a painting in the LDS Museum by his great great grandson, Ronald D. Hales entitled "Stephen Hales: Father, Stone Carver, Pioneer".

      4. Per Kate B. Carter, "Our Pioneer Heritage" (Dau. of Utah Pioneers, SLC, UT, 1977) vol.20, pp.74, 75: Speaking of Nauvoo: "Nauvoo Legion Band. The maneuvers of a large body such as the Nauvoo Legion grew to be could not properly be conducted ... and the thought of a brass band therefore suggested itself to the general (Joseph Smith). Thus, at the call of the Prophet, a meeting was held...sometime during the year 1842...some of the persons present...Charles H. Hales, trombones; Stephen Hales...clarinets; Geo. Hales...french horns...numbering 18 in all." Later, in Utah: "At a meeting of the Nauvoo Legion Band held... 9 Apr 1850, Bro. William Clayton made the following remarks: 'I have a conscientious notion of organizing this band...I have as firm a notion in the organizing this band as I would have in being baptized...'(list includes 25 including the 3 Hales.) It was also moved...the band adopt a straw hat for the covering of the head, a white dress coat and white pantaloons, a sky blue sash and a white muslim cravat at their uniform...a committee was appointed relative to procuring a band carriage, and by unanimous vote Brig. Young was appointed to the office of standard bearer..."

      5. The book, "On the Mormon Frontier, The Diary of Hosea Stout, 1844-1861," edited by Juanita Brooks, Univ. of Utah Press, pp. 524, 525: "Monday 7 Aug 1854. To day was the general Election for Territorial, County & precinct officers which resulted the election of the following persons to wit. for Councillors to fill vacancis which exhist by death and resignation (Albert Carrington, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff - For Representative: Jedediah M. Grant, Samuel W. Richards, A.P. Rockwood, Horaces S. Eldredge, Lorenzo Snow, Edwin D. Woolley, Hosea Stout, James W. Cummings, W.W. Phelps, John L. Smith. There was some little opposition to Mr Rockwood who did not seem to take well Stephen was run against him & got 83 votes otherwise the Election went off calm as usuel. The county & precinct officers I shall not say anything about." In the book there is a footnote which states: "That Albert P. Rockwood, for years Brigham Young's most trusted assistant, should have received 83 negative votes on a slate where all other candidates received unanimous approval would indicate that there was strong feeling aginst him. Of this election John Hyde, Jr., then an apostate from the church, wrote: '...Among other nominations for representative for Salt Lake County, one was A.P. Rockwood. He was very much disliked; and a few men got up an opposition ticket, substituting the name of Stephen H. Hales instead of this Rockwood...a small body of voters were brought and Hales obtained a majority...and was therefore legally elected...Hales was accordingly sent for by Brigham, who gave him a severe reprimand for daring to allow his name to be used as an opponent of 'the Church nomination...compelled Hales to resign the election, while Rockwood had the seat...and the per diem.' (Hyde, Mormonism: Its Leaders and Designs, p. 189.)"

      6. The book compiled by Kenneth Hales, "Windows: A Mormon Family," (1985): "Autobiography of Stephen Hales. [Stephen Hales, third child and second son of Stephen and Mary Ann Hales, records the following biography in the Second Quorum of Seventies records:] I, Stephen, son of Stephen and Mary Ann Hales was born in England, Rainham parish, county of Kent, in the year of our Lord 1820. My father was a professor of religion. When I was eleven years old, my father removed to America, with all his family. We located in Canada. We all tarried there five or six years when Parley P. Pratt came and preached to the people where my father resided. In a short time my father and mother united themselves with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and removed to the place of gathering in Far West, Caldwell County, Missouri. At the age of eighteen I was baptized by Elder Hunter in Daviess County, Missouri. [Stephen Hales was caught up in the activities of the saints to protect themselves from the spirit of mob-fever that was rampant in Missouri during these trying times. No doubt Governor Bogg's 'extermination of the Mormons' order caused some of this activity. The Haun's Mill massacre where wives and children of many of the saints were killed also led to protective feelings among the saints. Stephen's story continues:] A number of the brethren started off on an expedition and I with the rest, to search out the designs of the mob. We came to the place where they had camped the night before where they had buried a cannon. I found the cannon and some powder and balls. And, from there we returned home to our city. In a short time, I heard the mob was letting the brethrens's fences down and turning the cattle into the corn fields. A small number of the brethren including myself went in search of them. We left our homes about the twelfth hour of the night. About the break of day we found the mob, encamped on a small stream called the Crooked River. We marched down in battle array. Their guard shot one of our men and number of our men shot their guns at him. The mob fired on us and we returned the compliments. We returned home with three killed and six wounded and a short time later left our homes as exiles and came to Quincy, Adams County, Illinois. We resided there four years and came to Nauvoo in the twenty-fourth year of my age. I was ordained into the Quorum of Seventies under the hands of President Joseph Young and Isaiah Butterfield. I was united to the Second Quorum of Seventies and by the assisting grace of God, I shall try to stand in my lot and station as long as I live on the earth. And, when I leave this world of trouble, I hope to meet my brethren in the next better world and praise God through all eternity. (Stephen Hales married first Eveline Lydia Carter, daughter of Simeon Doget Carter and Lydia Henyon Carter at Nauvoo Illinois on October 16, 1842. He married second Henrietta Heyes, daughter of Samuel Heyes and Nancy Ann Delgarn Heyes, on Dec. 23, 1851. Stephen was the father of fourteen children by his two wives. He and his wives are buried in the Bountiful, Utah cemetery.)
      Note I have another copy of this autobiography and it is noted therein that it was copied from the 2nd Quorum of 70s Biography Record by Robert L. Hales. Also notes that the original biography was "recorded by B.W. Elliot Sept. 6, 1845 at Nauvoo, City of Joseph."

      6. Wife's obituary in 1898 states they remained two years in Iowa due to sickness finally arriving in Utah in 1851.

      7. The book "A Comprehensive History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Century 1," vol. VI, p. 281: "The political campaign of 1888 - 'Sagebrush' candidates. What the Democratic club movement of 1884-1887 failed in, the 'Sagebrush Democracy,' though in less formal manner, undertook to do in the political campaign of 1888. Early in October advantage was taken of the presence in Salt Lake City of many Democrats from all parts of Utah territory, who were either in attendance upon the semi-annual general conference of the Church of Latter-day Saints, or who had taken advantage of the low railroad rates always allowed on these annual and semi-annual occasions to visit the city. About 100 Democrats in all gathered at the old City Hall on the corner of First South and State street, and here effected their organization, and although the meeting was largely impromptu... They also nominated members for the council districts, comprising... for members of the lower house from Salt Lake, Davis and Morgan counties - Wm. G. Sharp, Jos. M. Benedict, Abram F. Doremus, A.L. Williams, H.D. Ripetto, Stephen Hales..."

      8. Photos on file from showing Stephen Hales as the master finish carver for the clasped hands on the Salt Lake Temple which he did circa 1880. Ron Hales, a descendant, has painted the scene. The art is available for purchase on the website. Article from the LDS "Church News," 6 Sep 1997:
      "Painting honors stonemason ancestor. Years of research tell of productive life of pioneer. By Laurie Williams Sowby. Church New Correspondent. Ronald D. Hales has known for many years of the role his great-great-grandfather, Stephen, played in scupting the "Hands of Fellowship."
      The scupture depicts two masculine hands clasped in a handshake of brotherhood. The long shirtsleeve on the one hand, couple with the robe on the other hand, denotes a friendshp that extends across the veil. Identical carvings are positioned above the center windows on the east and west sides of the Salt Lake Temple.
      Even though Brother Hales knew about his ancestor's artistic contribution, it has taken 20 years for the bits and pieces from various family histories to come together to document the story.
      But after years of research, and armed with more than 200 pages of personal histories, Ronald Hales painted a painting depicting the struggle and the process of the carving as a tribute to his ancestor.
      The painting hung in the Museum of Church History and Art as partrof the international exhibit during the summer.
      Throough years of researc, Brother Hales and his wife, Lorraine, learned that Stephen Hales was a skilled stonemason who was born in England in 1829. He immigrated to Canada as a young boy where his family met Parley P. Pratt, who was serving a mission at the time, and was baptized a member of the Church.
      The ony known record Stephen Hales made of his life is a short synopsis written while he was a seventy in Nauvoo.
      Other people, however, frequently refer to him in their journals. They describe his efforts in fending off persecution in Far West, Mo., in accompanying the bodies of Joseph aand Hyrum Smith to Nauvoo following their martyrdom, and carving the oxen in the baptismal font of the Nauvoo Tempole. William Phelps' journal notes how he and Stephen Hales chased stray horses back into camp.
      Stephen Hales made the trek from Iowa to Salt Lake City as part of the Garden Grove Company in 1851. It was reported that he danced at Brigham Young's home, and was involved iwht a number of building projects throughut the valley. His skills as a stone cutter and mason were emplyed on the building of the Salt Lake Temple.
      In the painting, Stephen Hales is featured in the foreground carving the "Hands of Fellowship," while the temple is shown under construction in the background. The painting details the craftsmen's tools and methods used to hoist the stones into position.
      Ronald used two of their seven children, and a granddaughter, as models.
      For accuracy and authenticity, he relied on a compilation of 200 pages documenting Stephen's life prepared by Lorraine Hales, as well as a large portrait showing Stephen with a forked beard.
      To give a "correct sense of sunlight and shadows, Ronald sculpted a replica of the hands in modeling clay. The painting is titled, "Stephen Hales: Father, Stone Carver, Pioneer," and was entered in the Church museum's Fourth International Art competition.
      Ronald has long held an interest in art, using his artistic skills to create renderings as an architect for 30 years. But it wasn't until he retired in 1992 that he pursued his interest in painting, particulary portrait.
      "Artistic talent is a family trait, " said Sister Hales, who discovered during the international exhibit at the museum that three other artists - unknown to them before the competition - are also descendants and were honored for works relating to Stephen Hales.
      "I thought it extraordinalry that this family should be represented by four pieces in the show," she said."

      9. The book "An Intimate Chronicle, the Journals of William Clayton," ed. by George Smith, Signature Books, 1995, Salt Lake City, Utah:
      P. 549, May 24, 1845, Saturday, in the process of dedicating the capstone of the stonework of the original Nauvoo Temple: "On Friday, the 23rd, all the stone on the outside of the wall was laid, except the south-east corner stone. This progress was a great rejoicing to the Saints. The Rigdonites have prophecied that the walls would never be built; but through the blessing of God we have lived to see the prediction come to naught. On Saturday the 24th, at a quarter before six o'clock a.m., was the time appointed for the laying of the capstone of the temple. Quite a number of the Saints had assembled to witness the interesting ceremony. There were present, of the quorum of the Twelve: Pres. Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, John Taylor, Willard Richards, Amasa Lyman, George A. Smith, John E. Page, Orson Hyde, and Orson Pratt; also Newel K. Whitney, and George Miller, Trustees-in-Trust; Alpheus Cutler and Raymond Cahoon, building committee; William Clayton, temple recorder; John Smith, Patriarch and president of the Stake, and Chrales C. Rich his counselor. Of the High Council William Huntington, Sr., Aaron Johnson, George W. Harris, James Allred, David Fullmer, William Weeks, architect, and William W. Phelps. A few minutes before six, the band came up and arranged themselves on the platform in a circle a little back from the corner. The names of the band who were present are as follows: William Pitt, leader, Stephen Hales, William F. Cahoon, Robert T. Burton, John Kay, James Smithies, Daniel F. Cahoon, Andrew Cahoon, Charles H. Hales, Martin H. Peck, J.T. Hutchinson, James Standing, William D. Huntington. Charles Smith and Charles C. Robbins, also William H. Kimball, Color bearer. At six o'clock the band played 'The Nightingale;' and afterwards while the people were collecting, they played another tune. At eight minutes after six Brother William W. Player commenced spreading his mortar, perfect silence prevailing. President Young stood on the wall immediately north of the corner stone, with Elder Heber C. Kimball at his right hand. When the mortar was spread, the stone was lifted to its place by President Brigham Young... President Young then stepped on the stone, and taking a large pestle began beating it to its place. He finished laying the stone with the assistance and direction of Brother Player precisely at 22 minutes after six o'clock. The band then struck up the 'Capstone March,' composed and arranged by William Pitt, the leader, for the occassion. President Young then spoke to the congregation, instructing them with regard to shouting the 'Hossannah.' He then said, 'The last stone is laid upon the temple, and I pray the Almighty in the name of Jesus to defend us in this place, and sustain us until the temple is finished and have all got our endowments.' The whole congregation then, following the motion of President Young, shouted as loud as possible; 'Hossannah, hosannah, hossannah, to God and the Lamb! Amen, amen, and amen!' This was repeadted a second and third time. The President concluded by saying; "So let it be, thou Lord Almighty!'... He then dismissed the congregation... The people began to move away, but the band continued playing. John Kay also went on the corner stone and sang a song composed by Elder William W. Phelps, called the 'Capstone Song.' The morning was very cold and chilly... The Saints seemed highly interested and pleased with the morning's performance..."
      P. 267, April 2, 1846, Thursday, in the process of crossing Iowa at the time of the forced Mormon departure from Nauvoo, IL: "One of the Brother Hales arrived to say to his brother who drives team for (William) Pitt that his family is very sick and wants him to go back but we cannot spare the team and he says it is no use for him to go back without it. At night I wrote again to Diantha [William Clayton's wife] and sent it by Brother Hales who returns tonight." [Kerry's note: I am unsure which of the three brothers this refers to - Charles, Stephen, or George. Also there are several entries refering to William Pitt's band performing concerts and collecting fees in various Iowa cities as the Mormons make their pioneer trek. This band seemed to have been travelling together as a company on the trek. Both Stephen and Charles Hales were part of this band in Nauvoo and the above quote would indicate that at least one of the brothers may have been involved in these impromptu performances even though Clayton does not necessarily name him. I have these entries on file.]

      10. Deseret News, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2 Apr 1856: "Report of the Twenty-first Quorum. The following is a list of the names of the members of the quorum, with their residence as far as known..
      Presidents. [7 individuals listed including Stephen Hales, G.S.L. City.] Members. [Many members including Thomas Adair and *John Mangum of Nephi City.] The quorum meets on the 1st and 3rd Sundays in each month, at 6 o'clock p.m, at the residence of David Wilkin, 17th ward, and every member residing in this city is requested to attend punctually. Those members whose names have a star attached to them, are requested to send their genealogies to the clerk immediately, which must contain the following items, viz: when and wehre born; including town, county and state; father's and mother's names; when baptized, and by whom; when ordained, and by whom; also present residence. O. F. Mead, Clerk."

      11. From the online book "An Enduring Legacy" <>:
      "Charles Henry Hales, born in Rainham Parish, Kent County, England, on June 17, 1817, was a son of Stephen and Mary Ann Hales. At the age of fifteen, he accompanied his family to America, landing in New York and finally settling in Toronto, Canada. It was while they were living in Toronto that the message of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was introduced to them by Orson Pratt. When Orson Pratt had finished his proselyting efforts in that locality, his brother, Parley P. Pratt, took over his labors. Stephen and Mary Ann were impressed with the teachings and in 1836 the entire family was baptized and became members of this controversial religious group. In the spring of 1838, the family moved to Jackson County, Missouri, and joined with the Saints there.
      In Quincy, Illinois, Charles Henry met a young convert, Julia Ann Lockwood, and they were married October 31, 1839. After the Hales family was forced to leave their holdings, they settled in Nauvoo, Illinois, where they assisted in converting an unwholesome swampland into a beautiful city. They also cooperated in the building of the temple.
      While living in Nauvoo, Charles Henry played in the Nauvoo Band and was a member of the Nauvoo Legion. His people were neighbors and close associates with the Saints and suffered the sorrows and troubles incident to the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum. The exodus from Nauvoo found the Hales ready and willing to face the deserts, Indians, privations and hardships of the unknown West rather than forsake the religion they knew to be true.
      Charles and Julia Ann were the parents of six children: Eliza Ann, born to them at Quincy; Julia A., George Gillet and Isabess, born at Nauvoo and Charles Henry and Joseph L., born at Garden Grove, Iowa. Leaving a farm and home behind, Charles and Julia Ann, the children and their grandmother began their journey to the West in the early fifties. Grandmother Hales died and was buried on the Plains. After suffering all the trials and hardships common to the pioneers, they reached Salt Lake City in September 1852. The following February when John T. Hales was born, he became the first Hales born in Utah.
      In the spring of 1854, Charles Henry and family moved to Big Cottonwood. Here Frederic and William were born. For five years the family lived and farmed in this area.
      The family moved to Spanish Fork in 1858, where three more children came to bless their home. They were Josephine, Hyrum and Harriet. It was here also that Charles Henry took a second wife, Francis Brunyer. Thirteen children were born to this union.
      Charles Henry was a brick mason by trade, but did farming as an avocation. He was a leader and promoter of education, serving as a school trustee for ten years. He was also a city councilman and was a member of the Spanish Fork Co-op board for many years as vice-president and president of the board, and at one time as superintendent of the store. He contracted and built the city hall, the co-op store and many other public buildings, among them the ideal schoolhouse. Many of the homes in Spanish Fork were built by him, some of which still stand as a monument to his memory [1926]. Always an earnest and willing church worker, he helped whenever he was called. He was a member of the Spanish Fork choir for a period of thirty-five years, was a strict observer of the Word of Wisdom and enjoyed good health and strength until his death July 1, 1889. All twenty-five of his children grew to adulthood. [By Harriet Hales Nelson, daughter. ]
      Stephen Hales, Jr.
      The early history of Stephen Hales, Jr., parallels that of his brother, Charles Henry Hales. He was three years younger than Charles Henry and until his marriage shared in all the vicissitudes of the family group as they journeyed from place to place. A son of Stephen and Mary Ann Hales, he was born in Rainham Parish, County of Kent, England, in 1820.
      His marriage took place while the family was living in Quincy, Illinois. His wife, Eveline Lydia Carter, daughter of Simon Doget Carter and Lydia Kenyon, was born September 24, 1821, at Benson, Rutland County, Vermont. Their first Child, Mary Isabella, was born October 29, 1843, but died February 14, 1844, at Nauvoo, Illinois."

      12. 3 Jun 2007 Http://"Nauvoo Legion Band. The maneuvers of a large body such as the Nauvoo Legion grew to be could not properly be conducted with one small band of music, and the thought of a brass band therefore suggested itself to the general. Upon inquiry, it was found that there were several men in the ranks who either were or had been at some time performers on brass and reed instruments. Thus, at the call of the Prophet, a meeting was held in the house of John W. Coolidge sometime during the year 1842, where the organization of the Nauvoo Brass Band was formally effected. Some of the persons present on this occasion were William Pitt, trumpet; James Smithers and Charles H. Hales, trombones; Stephen Hales, James Standing, Martin H. Peck and George McKenzie, clarinets; Geo. Hales and John Kay, French horns; Wm. Cahoon, bass drum; Andrew Cahoon and David Cahoon, piccolos; and Edmund Ellsworth, cavalry cornet. Some time later the following were also enrolled as members: Robt. T. Burton, trumpet; John Blazard and David Smith, key bugles; Jacob Hutchinson, E-flat clarinet; and Gustavus Hill, arranger and copyist of music; numbering eighteen in all.
      To E. P. Duzette, a man who, it was said, made the drum almost a solo instrument, had been given the rank of chief of music in the Legion. A martial band had been formed, with Levi W. Hancock as fife major, and the frequent drills and parades had been executed to the time of some dozen fifes and drums. - D.U.P. Files
      At a meeting of the Nauvoo Legion Band held at the house of Robert Burton on the evening of April 9, 1850, Brother William Clayton made the following remarks: "I have a conscientious notion in organizing this band, which was organized by Joseph Smith under the name of the Nauvoo Band. I have as firm a notion in the organizing of this band as I would have in being baptized. The minute I see any division of this band, that moment I retire, but still do not consider that I leave the Nauvoo Band. My feelings are that we organize as members that stood on the old list." After all the brethren had expressed their feelings regarding the band, E. P. Duzette was named chief musician of the Legion; William Pitt, captain; and the following as members of the old band: James Smithers, John Kay, David Smith, James Standing, William Clayton, J. F. Hutchingson [sic], Stephen Hales, Ed E. Ellsworth, Charles Hales, George Hales, Robert Burton, William Cahoon, J. Cahoon, M. H. Peck, Jacob Peart, Charles Smith, Ed Martin and H. K. Whitney. The following new members were voted on: E. Averett, J. Armstrong, J. Anderson, William Glover, George Wardle. It was moved and carried that J. Anderson be sustained as temporary leader of the band until William Pitt arrived.
      It was also moved and carried that the band adopt a straw hat for the covering of the head, a white dress coat and white pantaloons, a sky blue sash and a white muslin cravat as their uniform, and a committee was appointed to commence negotiations for such a uniform.
      At another meeting held April 12, 1850, a committee was appointed to make some arrangements relative to procuring a band carriage, and by unanimous vote Brigham H. Young was appointed to the office of standard bearer in the place of William H. Kimball, resigned. - D.U.P. Files
      Source: Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 20, p.74-5."

      13. Nauvoo LDS Land and Records Office research file (copy in my possession as of 2 Jun 2007 and also partially viewable at Includes family group sheet from Ancestral File and Susan Black's entry in her book "Early LDS Members." Also included is:
      A. Land records. Two lots are noted:
      a. Kimball, Blk 2, lot 71 s/2, 1/3 acre fronting Green (James) Street.
      b. Kimball: Blk 6, lot 32, 1/4 acre in N part (Show pt of lots 32 and 33 in 1846 with a brick house, log house and mill.
      B. 70s Record: Ordination 1844, Presidency of Q2, baptized 1838, endowed 24 Dec 1845 as a Seventy, Stone Mason.
      C. "Journal of William Clayton" cited in Journal History of the Church, 31 Dec. 1844, pp. 12-15: "The Nauvoo Temple Officers and Laborers. I (William Clayton) will now give a list of the names of the officers and laborers on and connected with he temple... During the last winter, 1843, towards the latter part of it, the Twelve decided to take down the old wood Font and put up a new one of cut stone. The men selected to cut the stone for the font were William W. Player, Benjamin T. Mitchell, Charles Lambert, William Cottier, Andrew Cahoon, Daniel S. Cahoon, Jerome Kimpton, Augustus Stafford, Bun Anderson, Alvin Winegar, William Jones and Stephen Hales, Jr... The following is the list of the steady carpenters, hired to work on the Temple: ...Gideon H.C. Gibbs...
      D. JH, 16 Dec 1844, citing Tighing Record No. 2; see also HC 7:326.The Twelve and Trustees... concluded to emply fifteen person steadily as carpenters, and that the the architect be augthorized to select such men as he has confidence in - men who are well qualified to do the the work that is wanted. It is also concluded to fix up a shop in the Temple for the carpenters to work in. Accordingly the south side of the lower story was weather-boarded around and a convenient shop made of it on Saturday, and today, the men have gone to work. The names of the of the carpenters selected as steady hands are as follows... Gideon Gibbs..."

      14. From the Kirtland, Ohio, LDS Visitors' Center, 13 Sep 2006: "Hist. Record, June 1889, JENSON - THE Nauvoo Temple, pg. 870: 'A few minutes before 6 o'clock the band came up and arranged themselves on the platform in a circle a little back from the corner. The names of the members of the band who were present were: Wm. Pitt, leader; Stephen Hales, Wm. F. Cahoon, Robert T. Burton, John Kay, James Smithies, Daniel F. Cahoon, Andre Cahoon, Charels H. Hales, Martin H. Peck, J.T. Hutchinson, James Standing, Wm. D. Huntington, Charles Smith and Charles C. Robbins; also William H. Kimball, color bearer.' "

      15. From the Kirtland, Ohio, LDS Visitors' Center 13 Sep 2006 quoted from "An Enduring Legacy," vol. 4, pp. 85-87:
      "The Brass Band of the city of Joseph was first orgainized in January, 1842, under the guidance and teachings of Capt. William Pitt, an ingenious musician, a good timeist, and an excellent performer upon various instruments that came to hand; the few that commenced to learn under him were ignorant of the principles of music, and new beginners upon their instruments; it therefore required great patience and exertion in our captain to fit us and birng us forth as a band of music for the Nauvoo Legion."
      "At a later day, those present at the orgianization of the band were said to have been: William Pitt, trumpet; James Smithies, trombone; Charles Hales, trombone; Stephen Hales, clarinet; James Standing, clarinet; Martin H. Peck, clarinet; George McKenzie, clarinet; George Hales, French horn; John Kay, French horn; William Cahoon, bass drum; Andrew Cahoon, piccolo; David Cahoon, piccolo; Edmund Ellsworth, cornet. To these ranks the following were later adde3d as members: Robert T. Burton, trumpet; John Blazzard, key bugle; David Smith, key bugle; Jacob Hutchinson, clarinet; Gustavus Hill, arranger and copyist." Kate B. Carter, "Heart Throbs of the West," v. 4, p. 118.
      "From the beginning, Joseph Smith showed a great deal of interest in the band, even helping to raise funds with which to improve its condition. The drum William Cahoon played was one he himself had made and many of the instruments used by the members were old and unsuited for advanced playing. Therefor, excursions, picnics and concerts were inaugurated to raise funds, and a round trip was made from Nauvoo to Quincy, Illinois, on the Prophet's steamer 'Maid of Iowa,' the full proceeds of which went to the band. With such aid and encouragement, the group was able to erect the Nauvoo Concert Hall in 1843. Frequent entertainments were held there, the band being assisted by William Clayton as violinist and John Kay, a French horn player who possessed a magnificent baritone voice and who was an entertainer of unusual accomplishment." Whitney, "The Nauvoo Brass Band, " pp. 134-137.
      Photo of a flag with description as follows: "Nauvoo Brass Band Flag. This flag made in early 1840s in Nauvoo, Ill. Blue and White stripes. Pink square with scroll and all-seeing eye. Carried across the Plains by Captain Pitt's Band. Donor: Ida Pitt Lee.
      "Although a formal uniform for the group was not adopted at that time; all band members agreed to wear white trousers.
      "At the placing of the cornerstone of the Nauvoo Temple, the band carried a beautiful new silk banner that had been made by the women of Nauvoo. Parading of the Nauvoo Legion, band music, choral singing and prayer were part of the program witnessed by ten thousand people. The flag has blue and white silk stripes, a pink scroll square and an 'all-seeing Eye' painted directly above the scroll square.
      "The Quadrille Band, composed of stringed and reed instruemts, was next orgainized to play for the dancing parties of the Saints. One of its first assignments was to funish the music for a ball given in the Mansion House, Joseph Smith's residence. It was said to have been the first dance party ever approved by the Prophet." Horace G. Whitney, "The Nauvoo Brass Band," Contributor I, March 1880, pp. 134-137.

      15. The following is detail of the 1851 Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel of the Harry Walton/Garden Grove Company (1851); departure: 17 May 1851, arrival in Salt Lake Valley: 24-25 September 1851; company Information: about 21 families from Garden Grove plus other individuals and 60 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs). They left Garden Grove, Iowa on 17 May 1851 and regrouped at Kanesville (modern day Council Bluffs, Iowa). See more detail including a day-by-day colorful journal account by Ossian F. Taylor, a 19 year old non-Mormon who traveled with the company at (,15797,4017-1-313,00.html). A total of 206 known people traveled with this company including the following Hales family members. Mary Ann Hales Thompson was the matriarch of the family and had remarried to William G. Thompson after her husband Henry Hales died in Iowa in 1846. Five of her six living children and their families accompanied her on the trek of which there were fourteen grandchildren and four step-Children. Her daughter Mary Isabella Hales and son-in-law Joseph Horne had crossed the plains to Salt Lake City, Utah, a few years earlier. "Mrs Thompson" dies and is buried on the trail a few miles before the Company reaches Chimney Rock. Her death is reported by four separate journal accounts as noted below - even though her death was a tragedy, it was also a blessing to have had most of her family around her at the time.
      Thompson, William G. (56)
      Thompson, Mary Ann Hales (51)
      Thompson, David (19)
      Thompson, Daniel (16)
      Thompson, William (15)
      Thompson, Maria (12)
      Thompson, Orville Browning (10)
      Hales, Charles Henry (33)
      Hales, Julia Ann Lockwood (26)
      Hales, Eliza Ann (10)
      Hales, Julia Ardence (8)
      Hales, George Gillette (7)
      Hales, Mary Isabella (4)
      Hales, Charles Henry (2)
      Hales, Joseph Lockwood (infant)
      Hales, Stephen (30)
      Hales, Eveline Lydia Carter (30)
      Hales, Stephen (1)
      Hales, George (28)
      Hales, Sarah Ann Gregory (28)
      Hales, Mary Ann (6)
      Hales, Harriet Electa (4)
      Hales, Sara Jane (1)
      Ellis, John (37)
      Ellis, Harriet Hales (26)
      Ellis, Mary Ann (10)
      Ellis, Hannah Isabella (7)
      Ellis, Stephen Hales (4)
      Ellis, John Henry (2)
      Hales, Henry William (21)
      Hales, Eliza Ann Ewing (21)
      Hales, Stephen Alexander (infant)

      Journal Accounts:
      A. Death of Mary Ann Hales Thompson from all four journal accounts:
      a. Crooks, George, [Diary excerpts], in Elna P. Atchison, [Genealogical information on the Crooks family, ca. 1955], 15-16, Church Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah:
      August 9 Crossed cobble hills. Mrs. Thom[p]son departed this life a few minutes before[.] she said she felt bad and wished the wagon would stop on driving[.] 100 yards further to the Company ground she died. Her death was lovely as the mildest sunset of a summer evening when the sun goes down tranquilly without a cloud.
      b. Walton, Rebecca Card, Sketch of Life of Rebecca Card Walton, [1]. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.): When we arrived at Winter Quarters, there was not much left of that historic place; a few old chimneys were still standing-the wild mustard had grown and completely covered the ground. It was as tall as the chimneys and was in full bloom. We camped at this two nights. My husband and I visited the City of the Dead. There at rest we found old Brother Bosley and his wife. This was a great surprise to my husband, as the winter before the saints left Nauvoo, he and his father had worked for Mr. Bosley. The day we left Winter Quarters we made but a short drive, for tomorrow was our national holiday. (yes, tomorrow I will be 16 years old.) To our surprise two royal visitors drove into camp. They were Brother Orson Hyde and Judge Brockus. They were on their way to Salt Lake City. They stayed and helped us celebrate. They unloaded a small cannon and while it rang out in that wild country, the flag was flying and music playing. They enjoyed our picnic, then loaded up the "little sow" as they called the cannon, bid us goodbye and left us. We passed Garden Grove and Mount Pisgah. A sister Thompson died and was buried at Ancient Ruins; another woman was killed in a stampede; twin boys were born to another woman. These were some of the incidents of the journey. We arrived in Salt Lake City September 25, 1851-making it a five months journey.
      c. Lamb, Elizabeth Zimmerman, Autobiographical sketch, Church Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah: "We left Garden Grove the 17 of May, 1851. Arrived in Salt Lake City 24 September, 1851. Father [George Gotleib Zimmerman] was old and never drove oxen so we got a boy to drive our team, Al[mond] Clyde. There were about 20 families of us a number of young folks. There were more joining our company when we left Winter Quarters. Our number was 50 families and 60 wagons. Harry Walton was our captain, he had traveled the road before. We stayed in Mount Pisgah several days. It was very rainy that spring and lots of mud and heavy loads. When we got to Winter Quarters our team consisted of one yoke of oxen, one of steers, one of cows. When we got near the old camp ground, our lead steers turned and led the team into a slough to get a drink and turned out wagon over into the water. Our things, most of all got wet so did the bedding. We camped 2 nights and had a gay time drying our things and a good time sleeping with most of our bedding wet but none of us took cold. The Elk Horn River was so high we could not cross it so we had to head it and had to travel several hundred miles further. Apostle Hyde took charge of 5 or 6 company. There was no road and it drilled our teams. It took us one month longer. It was a wild country. Thousands of buffalo could be seen. One day we could hear them come a roaring noise when they were miles away. They came straight for our train. We could not get out of the way so half of the teams stopped and the others went on. As they came up the hill and passed between the wagons, ours was the second one that stopped. It was a fine sight to look at. We had to give them room or they would have run over our teams. There was about five thousand of them. It took such a long time for them to pass. The men put ropes on the oxen horns and loosed them from the wagons. The women and children got in the wagons. It was a scary time for our cattle were so afraid of them. We had some of their meat. It was fine we could cut it in slices, salt it, and string it on sticks and jerk it over the fire to let it dry. It was sweet and good. We were in a wild country. Our cattle got so they could hardly be controlled. There were a good many stampedes. Whole trains would run at breakneck speed. Spect half of our teams stampeded. One woman by the name of Ellen Weingsley [Kingsley] jumped from her wagon, as she did so the next team and wagon run over her and she never breathed again. She left one child and sister. It was hard for them to leave her in that lonely spot. She was washed and dressed and some goods box put in the grave and she was put in and left. One day we travelled, all day till dark in deep sand. We had no water only what we were hauling. It was very hot and our teams almost perished. When we got to water it was a warm slough and full of live wrigglers. We strained and boiled it before we could use it. Then set it in the slough to cool it. In the night the buffaloes came near enough to frighten our teams and they stampeded so we had to camp there all day. We all washed in the boiling hot sun with no wood. The men had to hunt all day for them and found some with the buffaloes and had hard work to get them. One of our cows was with them. She was so wild they had to lasso her so they could milk her for the boys were almost perished. They said they could never have reached camp without a drink so she saved them. They were so glad she was there. Sister [Mary Ann Hales] T[h]om[p]son (who was Sister M. I. Horn's mother) died and was buried by the Platte River. The lonesomest night I ever spent, Betsy Crooks and I set up with her. There were a few wagons camped to one side so as to be out of the noise. We could hear the buffalo pass to go to the river. They made such a roaring noise we were frightened. There were 2 births in camp. There were many interesting things to see such as the Chimney Rock, the Lone Tree, the Devil's Gate, and a cave we went in to it, Independence Rock, we would climb on rocks, almost mountains. I often think it was dangerous. We might have run among wild beasts. Two or three days before we came to Salt Lake, Sister Farrer sent us some garden stuff by boy and sent some to all the company, but he sold some of it, that vexed her, but we did enjoy it after not having green all summer. We never forgot her kindness to us. We had many good times. We would camp at night, get supper make our beds and our chores would be done. When the boys would scrape of the grass and we would dance as if we were not tired. We had 2 good fiddlers and several good callers in camps. The men had to stand guard every night, 7 till 12, then 12 till morning, rain or shine. Sometimes it would rain and the mud would be hub deep. We would have to double teams from 6 to 8 yoke of oxen on a wagon. We crossed one stream, it was so deep and no timber to build a bridge, so they cut long grass and put it in and a few wagons crossed and they had to put in more. We camped on one side of the stream one night and on the other side the next morning and the men worked so hard all day. There was 2 wagons emptied and put into the stream, one behind the other and the women and children walked over. That was fine for us all to sit in the boiling sun all day on the grass. For a long time we had to burn buffalo chips as we called them or dung. There was no wood to get. Then we got to wild sage, it was worse than the chips. The first night to it, oh how sick I got of the smell. We had to do all our cooking with it everything was seasoned with it. When the wind blew, we could not relish our meals, but the Lord provided for our needs. We used tar to grease our wagons with the tar was carried in buckets swung under the wagons. We were getting short, but came to a tar spring. The men filled the buckets with tar. I did not see the spring but saw the tar. It was so far for the women to walk so we missed seeing it. Our supply was flour, meal, beans, dried bread, crackers, dried apples, sugar and milk, with some butter and bacon and a few dried parsnips. No wonder we were glad to get something out of a garden. One man killed a very large tortoise and divided it to 5 or 6 families only kept one meal for themselves. It was fine, it was the only one I ever tasted. Our company was heavy loaded and had to walk so much. I have walked 20 miles in one day. We had good health all the time for which we thanked the Lord many times. It was fun to see the green teamsters drive unruly teams. They would run around behind their wagons to head their teams if they were off. I will relate one incident of the hundred that I saw. . . One man, a clothesman, he has a 3 yoke on his wagon. He never handled a team before. He was a blacksmith and had his heavy tools in his wagon, oh the times he had. One day we crossed a stream and had to go up a long steep hill, all had to double teams when his wagon got part way up the hill the chain next to the tongue broke. The wagon and the wheelers went back in the creek so the end gate dipped water and most of the things got wet. The wagon had to be unloaded. All along the route, if any man had a mean ox he would sell it to the Saints. We had the largest ox in the company. He could start the load himself, but if he took a notion not to pull, they could not make him. He was good most of the time. We left Garden Grove the 17 of May and arrived in Salt Lake the 24 of September in good health, ... . When we were crossing the plains we came to large beds of salaratus [saleratus], white as snow. We gathered some, it made good bread, we brought some with us. It was all the kind of soda we used. That is all the settled used it." Source: (accessed 18 March 2005)
      d. Taylor, Ossian F., Journal, 1851 Apr.-Sept., Church Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah, partial journal dealing with Mary Ann Hales Thompson's death:
      "Monday July 28 Capt.ain Walton and those who went toards the Platt have got back again. Robert Jelford, [Telford] C. Stodard have found more cattle. Capt.. Walton and Mr. Hale went to the Platt and stopped all night. They think it about thirty miles from where we are now camped. I tell you this was good nuse to us.
      July 29 Mr. Alreads [Allred's] Company[,] hunting after their cattle they lost sunday night, found twenty head of our cattle and drove them to our camp today. We all went out today probably for the last hunt for the remaining lost cattle. I went about ten miles. Saw an abundance of Elk and Antelopes and I did admire to see the beautiful animals skip over the ground almost as swift as the wind. We found no more of the cattle today. Mrs. Thompson very sick with the congestive fever.
      July 30 Hitched and moved over about six miles of a very rough trail, then we came to a plain almost as level as a house floor, which we could roll over with the greatest ease.
      July 31 We arrived at the Platt a little af[ter] dark last evening where we found fo[u]r or five companies camped, for they had waited untill the streams fell and then came [to] the old road, and have arrived here before us, for we have traveled four hundred miles to head the horn and Loup fork and have only gained two hundred and fifty miles. (Brocckus measured where we came with a roadometer.) It is rather discourageing so late in the season and we have[,] I believe[,] about seven hundred fifty to go yet, before we arrive at our place of destination. Some talk of returning again, but Cap. Harry say[s] he shall go if he is obliged to go alone, so there is no danger of any backing out if the Capt.ain does not, for some of the women dare not take pills without asking his advice, but do not laugh, for it is a fact, but I expect they would be mad if I should tell them so but never mind I will not read this part before them. We are in hopes our greatest troubles [are] over with now[,] that is stampeeding, for it strikes the traveler with perfect horror to wake up in the middle of the night, hear the cattle running and bellowing like bull-dogs nothing but the yel[l]s of the savages could sound worse. Mrs. Thompson very sick, and some of the wagons needs repairing, so we shall stop a day or two to recruit a little. Some of the company talk of or think best for the company to separate and travel in smaller parties. I went to bathe in the Platt and crossed it but could find no place deep enough to swim. The Bohoise have kill[ed] a buffalo, to jurk [jerk]. If you should not happen to know what we mean by saying "a buffalo to jurk", I will tell you how we jurk meat here: we take the best pieces and put them in brine about twelve hours and then we take it out, and cut it into thin slices[,] hang it into the sun untill it becomes dry: or dry it over a fire, it will then keep first rate. And it's good too. I wish I could send a slice, to see how you would like it.
      Aug. 1 The camp held a meeting this morning to see if they should divide or not. John Jelford chairman. Came to order when the following resolutions were made. First, to still continue to travel together, ne[ve]r[the]less any ten should wish to leave, they might leave for good. Carried unanimously.
      Second. That the teams should be disposed of as the Capt.ain saw fit[.] that is[,] if any man had more team[s] than they needed, that he might take them and help those who had weak teams, for some had their teams greatly weakened by loss of their cattle in Stampeeds &[c]. Carried also.
      Third. That if a guard was found not doing his duty by sleeping &c. he should be marched three times round the camp, the next morning with a paper cap upon his head, with these words written on it with large letters "Sleepy head". Carried also. So the sleepy fellows had better be very careful how they take a nap while on duty, unless they wish sealed upon them eternal shame. Verrious other things were brought before the meeting which I shall not ate[m]pt to record in these limited sheets. Some of the company got frightened last by the noise the buffaloes made, they thought they were comming toard the camp, but probably they were four or five miles off, for it is so level here on Platt[e] bottom you can hear the noise the animals make a great way off.
      Aug. 2 Started quite early this morning (all hands) passed over some good and some sandy road, made about 22 miles, thought that would do, so we camped at skunk creek.
      Sunday Aug. 3 Started early: at noon passed by the junction of the north and south forks of the platt[e] which you will see on the map, if you do not recollect where it is. At evening arrived at a wide deep creek which is twenty two and one fourth miles from skunk creek.
      Monday Aug. 4 Traveled about eighteen miles drove off of the road toards the river to camp, corraled on rather a rough place.
      Aug. 5 Had a stampeed this morning at one o'clock and the loose cattle all ran away like a streak of lightning, trampling Buccannon [Buchanan] to the earth and hurt him very much. We jumped out of our beds and drove back what we could see, but when we came to see them by day light thirty five h[e]ad were a missing. So we had the pleasure to hunt them, found them about five miles on [a]head to another camp. Mr. Hale, A Walton did not come in from hunting. So Mr. M[e]rrill's ten stoped to waite for them, and the rest moved on as fast as possible untill we came up with Mr. Jones'es ten who were camped and a waiting for us. So we thought it best to stop there all night, expecting the company were seven or eight miles ahead.
      Aug. 6 The moon shone very beautiful last evening. I sat a while singing 'Roll on silver moon &c.' interrupted now and then by the bitter howling of the wolves hunting for a chance to drink at some new victems clear red spring. At length I went to bed, and took a five nights rest with jolly Tom. The cattle behaved very well and we soon got started this morning, found the rest of the company about two miles on a head. Rolled over some bad sandy bluffs, crossed about five creeks, and passed by some excellent springs. Made about eighteen miles and then we camped. Fine day.
      Aug. 7 A very fine evening last night, the Girls sung some pretty songs, and we cracked a joke or two, had a good time, and went to bed. But the oxen that was chained to our wagon kept it a jiggling or wig[g]ling about so we could not sleep but little. We keep the cattle chained up nights now to our wagons, so if they run away they can take us with them. Cool breezes this morning, about right for the teams to travel with ease. Crossed a steep and sandy bluff; made about twenty one miles[,] camped near a place called the lone tree, for there is one tree standing here alone, there being no more trees on this side of the river for two hundred miles. You might ask what do you do for wood to cook with. To tell you the truth, travelers are obliged to burn chewed grass, or to speak polite about it, buffalo chips. The victuals cooked with them, tastes little the richest of any thing out, jail if I do not fib. Mrs. Thompson very sick again.
      Friday Aug. 8 Fine moonlight last evening.
      Queen of the night roll on roll on- How many stars hast thou hid? Lend us thy gentle beams till morn Then we'll with pleasure bid- Thy form good by
      Antelope skip skip away With thy form so light and free. Nimble hare run run and play, Would I could thy playmate be; This lovely night
      Prairie dog bark, bark away- There's music in thy tiny voice, But there's a wolf can he catch thee nay! For thou canst skulk like a mouse Away into thy hole
      O, I can sing my broken song No matter whether it rymes or no, No matter whether its short or long, If I but sing it very low, So none can hear
      Day is approaching good by moon Thou must now fold thy gentle beams To behold thy face what a boon Sparkling in the crystal streams Good by Good by OFT
      moved on as usual but Merrill's ten goes ahead now all of the time now. At ten o'clock crossed castle creek, six feet wide, and passed castle bluffs on the opposite side of the river. They are bluffs resembling the ruins of ancient castles and fortifications. I wish I could have gone and seen them. I would have written more about them. Made about eighteen miles, camped early in order to give the sick a little chance to rest a little, for it is so late in the season we are obliged to travel when we should not, were it otherwise. Another very fine camping ground, would there were none sick in the company. Mrs. Thompson very low, Joseph Merrill and one of Mr. Chritchalows boys are very unwell, but have entirely recovered, and feel first rate.
      Aug 9 Left our fine camping ground at half past seven this morning. In the afternoon crossed crab creek and arrived at Hobble hills, and while crossing them Mrs. Thompson expired, another painful event which I was in hopes I should not have had to write in this Memorandum. She seemed to be comfortable for an invalid all day, the hills were very sandy and hard for the teams, so her daughter, or the girl that was with her got out of the wagon to walk a piece, and when she got into the wagon again, behold she had breathed her last. Only the Oh! God can comfort her children, who are most of them in the company, for it is a very painful thing to bury a friend on these loansome plains; especially a dear mother. Stephen Hale, George Hale[,] a printer[,] and Henry Hale, are her sons, which some of them I have spoken of before. We went to cobble hills west foot and camped making about nineteen miles.
      August 10 We are encamped near some more bluff ruins, which I have been to and examined they appear curious indeed, formed of rock, which looks as though they were made, or composed, of cement and clay, the outside being hard like common rock but when broken the inside appear[s] a great deal more soft and brittle. In some of the cliffs we have found what the Dr. said were once human bones, but now they are nearly petrified. Mrs. Thompson was buried at eleven o'clock after Prayers and singing &c. A board was placed at the head of her grave with the usual inscription. Neatly lettered by her son Stephen Hale who is a stone cutter. May all who read it remember that "blessed are the dead, that die in the Lord." We hitched up about noon, and bid farewell to [the] grave of a good old Lady who will long be remembered by those who knew her.
      A friend to all, a mother dear, But who can leave, that hast thee known, Without dropping a silent tear. OT
      Proceeded on our journey, passed Brown's and Phelpes'es company[.] rolled over about ten miles of sandy road, and camped near the river.
      Monday Aug. 11 Hitched up as usual traveled nineteen miles, and camped nearly opposite the famous chimney rock. This rock is about four hundred feet high, it is quite large at the base and then it['s] slanting enough for a man to go up it, a piece, and the rest of it is very steep, or almost perpendicular, so that a person cannot go within a hundred feet of the top. Five or six of the boys went over the river, to the base of it, after we camped, but it was so late, they did not have time to go up it any. This natural monument, which can be seen at a great distance, resembling then a big steam chimney which you have no doubt noticed at mills and factories, cannot properly be called a rock since it is formed of a substance about half way between hard clay and soapstone. A portion of one side has fell off lately I believe. Herry and a Mr. Simeon Card climbed up it last year when they went it, as high as they could, and wrote there names. Sim threw one [of] his boots down to see how long it would be falling to the bottom, unfortunately for him it caught in a crag before it reached the base and he was obliged to go back with one boot that was a nice joke for fooling, what a pity it was that he did not go up it bear footed. I wish we were not so much hurried, so that we could stop and scruternize such curious natural Geological fixings which we are obliged to hurry by. I cannot even get time to attempt to draw them, with my old lead pencil, which I would like to very much."

      B. Taylor, Ossian F., Journal, 1851 Apr.-Sept., Church Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah, full journal account of the entire trek with several mentions of various Hales family members (note Henry would be Charles Henry Hales):
      May 1 The weather as cold as in the frigid zones. traveled about fourteen miles[.] fine roads most of the way, passed through Unionville and camped at Soap creek. Quite different from what I had been in the habit of spending May-day[,] driving oxen along, singing out every three minutes whoe haw you hairry monsters. In 1849 I was in a place called Whyomin in Stoneham Mass. at a family picknick. And in 1850 I was in Bangor Maine upon mount Hope enjoying the company of some of my young friends. Alas! never to enjoy again-time flies on and every momend brings us nearer to that boon from whence no traveler returns. The young should remember that youth is the spring time of life[,] the morning also. And in 1851 in Iowa on my way to the great Salt Lake valley, far away from all of my relatives excepting one sister Mrs. Frances Walton. At soap creek saw some of Mr. Waltons acquaintance[s] by the name of Dorhorty. In the evening we had some fine fiddling, by a man that gave us a call who was a pretty good musician.
      May 2 Very chilly in the morning and it soon began to snow the hardest k[i]nd, so we concluded to wait there untill it might clear off.
      May 3 It looked likely to clear off so we b[e]gan to pack up, and was soon on our way once more. Frances baby is rather unwell, it got a bad cold the day or two before. We went about fifteen miles, and camped on a pleasent place not far from a little timber. Thomas and myself cut a hickery and hitched a yoke of cattle to it and draged it up, to make a fire. Cooked beans in the evening. My pen is so poor it would puzzle a Philadelphia Lawyer to read this short sketch of a journey to the Great and wonderful Salt Lake, even if he had a chance. Or more properly the lights and shadows of the emergrants [emigrants] bound for the far, far west, For through "Numerous tracless wiles they stray"
      May 4 A poor chance for our cattle so concluded to move on a piece bfore breakfast: so we moved on and crossed a bad crick[,] Sharadon river, and camped neare it the rest of the day and stoped.
      May 5 We trveled sixteen miles and camped on the open prarie, about seven or eight miles from a creek.
      May 6 The wind blew so hard, that women folks could not cook breakfast; so we yoked up and started on, as fast as we could, intending to continue untill we might come to warmer place to camp. Before night we reached Garden Grove, and found the company we were expected to go with, making wagons, covering wagons, and prepairing for a start as fast as possible. We camped about one half a mile from town about 4 o'clock by a fine creek in a grove of big scattering timber.
      May 7 Frances baby quite sick, she s[t]op[p]ed at a house in town to doctor it a little. no swing in town to put the cattale into to shoe them. So we thought it best to fix one of our own. So the old gent found three trees that nature had formed in the shape of a frame, that would do for a part of it, if a man is not very particular, so we stuck up a forked post, to compleat it, and took the machine belts for gurts, and was soon ready to try an animel. Emerline Owens was down to see us in the evening.
      May 8 Shod some cattle. Harry took his wagon dow[n]to the creek and Frances baby (little George) got better so that she could attend to washing &c.
      May 9 Nothing new today-talked some of proceeding tomorrow, thunder showers, in hopes it will be a little warmer soon, if it should clear off again. Stormes may rise and thunders roar- But God's kind hand is ever o'er: How quick the bright lightning flies, See how his glory fills the skies. All things both great and small- Not a sparrow to the ground shall fall; Without the God who rules on high, Seeing it with pitying eye.
      May 10 Harry & Damia bought a fine ox. Did not s[t]art some expect to tomorrow if the weather will permit. Frances baby quite smart. Andrew shot the old Malate ox, that had been sick fo[r] a week. May he rest in peace. Very he[a]vy thunder showers in the evening, some afraid the trees would blow down upon us, but fortunately they stood as straight as a starched dickey.
      May 11 Sunday Not very pleasant this morning but One thunder shower in the afternoon, to[w]ards night. I went after the cattle, killed a rattlesnake, the first one I ever saw. Before we went to bed it began to rain and it thundered so loud it seemed as though the very bolts of heaven were breaking and the lightning flew like wildfire, and it kept it up all night the hardest I ever saw. Shower after shower, peal after peal, cracking down ever and anon. It beat into our wagon boath wind and rain, so it was with some difficulty we gout [got] any sleep, but Thomas, my partner, was a jolly fellow, and you would have laughed if you had heard him singing in the middle of the night. The weather was so dry, The sun so hot I froze to death Susannah dont you cry- Or calling out to me, to keep my head as high as possible, so that the water would not run into my breath-hole, &c.
      May 12 The old gentleman up early this morning found Mr. Scriggins'es wagon partly under water and himself sound sleep. We got up, and soon hauled it out, of (then part of the creek) But he lost three of his boots and a coffepot which probably the swift current wafted them a piece toards the Gulf of Mexico. Kindled a fire and prepaired breakfirst, which was doenuts (or in the vulger way of speaking "nut cakes") beans, apple-sauce, hot coffe &c.
      May 13 We, and a number of families from this place started this morning and after breaking a wagon in the f