Swen Olsson

Male 1840 - 1917  (77 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Swen Olsson 
    Born 14 Mar 1840  Jemjö, Blekinge, Sweden Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 18 Mar 1840  Jemjö, Blekinge, Sweden Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 27 Sep 1917  Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 4 Nov 1917  Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1612  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 14 Jan 2015 

    Family Maren Christensdatter,   b. 4 May 1843, Visby, Hassing, Thisted, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Jul 1929, Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years) 
    Married 17 Jun 1866  Aboard Ship, Ship Kenilworth, Atlantic Ocean Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F909  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
      1. Censuses:
      1870 US: Mt. Pleasant 4th Ward, Sanpete, Utah, p. 81a, household 38, family 34:
      Swein Olsen, 30, cabinet maker, $700 real estate, $350 personal property, Sweden.
      Mary, 24, keeping house, Sweden.
      Sophia, 2, UT.
      Olena F., 6/12, UT, b. Oct.

      1880 US: Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah, FHL film 1255336, National Archives Film T9-1337, p. 355A:
      Swen Olsen, carpenter, M, 40, Swe, Swe, Swe.
      Mary Olsen, keeping house, wife, M, 37, Den, Den, Den.
      Annie S. Olsen, at school, dau., 12, Norway, Norway, Norway.
      Oline C., at school, dau., 10, UT, Swe, Den.
      Swen, at school, son, 9, UT, Swe, Den.
      Amelia, dau., 7, UT, Swe, Den.
      Isaac, son, 4, UT, Swe, Den.
      Lillian, dau., 2, UT, Swe, Den.

      1900 US: Moroni, Sanpete, Utah, p. 170B:
      Swen Olsen, Mar 1840, 60, m. 33 years, Swe Swe Swe, farmer, emigrated 1866.
      Mary, wife, May 1843, 57, m. 33 years, 11 total children - 7 living, Den Den Den, emigrated 1866.
      Swen M., son, Oct 1871, 28, S, UT Swe Den, farm laborer.
      Isaac, son, Jun 1875, 24, S, UT Swe Den, farm laborer.
      John S., son, Apr 1881, 19, S, UT Swe Den, farm laborer.
      Lettie S., dau., Dec 1882, 17, S, UT Swe Den.
      Winnie[?] F., dau., Apr 1885, 15, S, UT Swe Den.

      1. Carpenter, Cabinet Maker, Farmer and Stockraiser.

      2. See wife's DUP biography with her notes for more information.

      3. In my files, I have a copy of "Kenilworth Journals" prepared by Fred Westergard for the 2002 Westergard reunion. Using various sources, Fred has collected excerpts of the journals of various passengers who were on the same voyage from Denmark as was Maren Christensen Westergard (23) and her future husband Swen Olson (26). These journals are too lengthy for this database, but I do herein summarize some pertinent information. (Also note that Fred prepared a similar typescript called "Emerald Isle Journals" for Maren's mother and two brothers of which I have included a summary with their notes in this database and of which I also have a complete copy on file.) Maren Christensen Westergard was part of the first of that year's emigration of Saints who left Copenhagen by the steamer "Aurora" May 17, 1866, and arrived early on the following day, May 18th, in Kiel, from which city the company went by train to Altona. From there the women and children continued in a small steamer to Hamburg, while the men walked to the same place. On their arrival in Hamburg, the emigrants were lodged for the night in a large emigrant building, and the following day went on board the double-decked ship "Kenilworth." She emigrated to the United States from Hamburg, Germany on 25 May 1866 aboard the 987 ton square rigger sailing ship "Kenilworth," commanded by Captain J. Brown. The emigrants were divided into 42 messes, each containing from twelve to seventeen persons, and a president appointed over each mess. The route around the north of Scotland was chosen and one day the ship, driven by contrary winds out of its course, got so close to the west coast of Norway that its rocky cliffs were plainly seen The Shetland and Orkney Islands were soon passed and the winds were favorable for about three weeks. After that there was continuous headwinds and fog for five weeks, which made the voyage both long and dreary. Capt. Brown and the ship's crew treated the passengers in a kind and generous manner, allowing them all the privileges that could reasonably be expected. The provisions were satisfactory and the sick received good attention. Maren was married aboard the "Kenilworth" by Samuel Lindsay Sprague according to the Manuscript History of the Scandinavian Mission, Vol. 10, May 25, 1866 entry, Andrew Jensen notes. The "Kenilworth" arrived at Castle Garden and anchored in New York Harbor on the night of 16 Jul 1866, the weather being extremely hot. Elder Samuel Lindsay Sprague, assisted by Elders Morten Lund, Fred R.E. Bethelsen and Ole H. Berg, presided over the company of 684 saints (583 Danes, 23 Norwegians, 73 Swedes, and 5 Germans). During the voyage there were 12 deaths, 7 marriages, and 2 births. In America, the Church emigration office had experienced much trouble in making the necessary arrangements for transporting the emigrants from New York to Wyoming, Nebraska. The railroad companies had apparently planned to speculate at the expense of the Mormons, and hence asked an unusually high price for conveying the emigrants westward. At length a satisfactory contract was made by an entirely new route which was several hundred miles longer but much cheaper than what the more direct route used to be. On the evening of the same day they disembarked at Castle Garden, and on 17 Jul 1866 they took a large freight steamer to New Haven, Connecticut where they landed on the morning of July 18th. After staying there a few hours, the journey northward by train begun, passing through the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont to Montreal in Canada. Here the emigrants had to accept passsage in some very uncomfortable and dirty freight and cattle cars, in which they traveled through Canada, the route of travel being along the north bank of the St. Lawrence River and the shores of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, to the St. Clair River. On the evening of July 20th, a part of the train jumped the track near Port Hope on the banks of Lake Ontario, but through the interposition of kind Providence no one was hurt. The emigrants were ferried over the St. Clair River to Port Huron in the State of Michigan, where better cars were obtained, and they wended their way via Detroit and Chicago to Quincy, Illinois. A steamer took them across the Mississippi River to the Missouri side, where they found temporary shelter from the burning sun in a nearby grove. After a disagreeable ride through the State of Missouri, where inhabintants at nearly every station did all they could to insult the emigrants, the company arrived July 27th at St. Joseph, Missouri, the railroad terminus. The total rail portion of their trip had been 1700 miles over ten days. They then sailed two days by the river steamer "Denver" up the Missouri River to Wyoming, Nebraska (which no longer exists) where they landed 29 July and camped in the heights in and near the town. The passage up the river had been again disagreeable because they suffered all kinds of insults and abuse from a wicked crew. They left from Wyoming, Nebraska on 4 Aug 1866 and traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah arriving on 29 Sep 1866. They came in Capt. Peter Nebeker's church ox team company of about 400 people. Some partial quotations from various fellow passengers: "So also on the sea the hand of the Lord was made mainfest for the ship was on fire at least three times, and not much damage was done and no panic, even all did not know of it until after. The ship was an old vessel not intended for passenger but had been used to carry cattle. How it came to be used to carry a cargo of human beings I know not, but it seemed that anything was good enough for Mormons." Another: "May the 16th. We emigrating Saints had our things taken aboard the steamer and we sailed out from Aalborg at 5 o'clock in the afternoon, and had a fine sailing, and in the morning, at 7 o'clock the next day, May the 17th, we were in Copenhagen, where our things were taken aboard the steamship "Aurora," and that ship sailed out from Copenhagen at 1 o'clock in the afternoon." Another: "We had had a hard time of it during part of the time of our journey, as not less than 33 persons of our company had died from cholera or some other disease, before we had reached to the La Plata [the Platte River]." Another: "We were 8 weeks on the Atlantic Ocean. At the last the water we had to drink got so bad it was full of white wigglers." From Andrew Jenson who later became a renowned LDS historian: "...we frequently amused ourselves in dancing, or engaged in divers games on deck, in order to keep up good cheer, and counteract the tediousness of the long voyage... Cleanliness and good order were strictly observed on board and all who were able to spend a good part of their time on deck to enjoy the fresh air and exercise... Even a manuscript paper was issued almost daily, which introduced humerous and spicy articles suitable for the life we led... I also made records of seven marriages which took place on board during the voyage... [upon eminent landing in New York City] The men shaved, cut their hair and cleaned up on general principles, while the women began to look for their best dresses in which to attire themselves when the happy privilege of landing should be enjoyed by them. To us, Latter-day Saints, the first sight of America had more than usual significance, as this was the 'land of promise,' the land of Joseph; about which we had spoken, dreamed, and sung for many years before beholding it... At Castle Garden we passed through the usual examination and scrutiny, including the enrollment of names, ages, nationality, etc... we continued our journey through the State of Missouri, the land where the Saints in early days of the Church suffered so much persecution. In several of the larger towns, through which we passed, the inhabitants acted hostile towards us and made several demonstrations in the shape of insults and threats. The telegraph had, of course, previous to our arrival, brought the news of a company of 'Mormons' coming, and thus the rough element had time to gather at the railway stations to give us their attention as we arrived. Some of the worst men in the crowd gave the impression by their movements that they would have taken delight in treating us similar to the treatment that was given our co-religionists years ago. The conductor of our train appeared to be one of our bitter enemies. In starting the train and in quickening or lessening speed he treated us to such jerks and violent shocks as ordinarily are experienced only on freight trains. Fortunately none of us were seriously hurt, but some of our more delicate women were threatened with nervous breakdowns... On receiving our baggage at Wyoming we found that many of the boxes had been opened and robbed of their contents, and thus some of the emigrants lost all their clothes and traveling outfits." See FHL films: 025686 - Perpetual Emigration Fund; 298442 - Crossing the Plains Index; 25692 - SMR, 1866 pp. 1-18; 175624 - Customs #804.

      1. FHL film 086175, batch C400553, printout 1149083; Jamjo extracted birth and/or christening records. Indicates name as Swen Olsson with parents as Ola Petersson and Sophia Schrevelius.

      1. Married on LDS emigration ship coming to America per wife's DUP biography cited with her notes.

      2. Per Journal of Samuel Lindsay Sprague, LDS Presiding Officer on board the LDS emigration ship "Kenilworth." Entry for June 17th Sunday [1866]: "Held forenoon meeting down in the first deck. I married two couples."

      1. Per wife's DUP biography except that it has a variant location of Moroni, Sanpete, Utah. They actually had a large farm between Mt. Pleasant and Moroni.