William Phelps

Male Abt 1593 - 1672  (~ 79 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name William Phelps 
    Born Abt 1593  of Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 14 Jul 1672  Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 15 Jul 1672  Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1946  Petersen-de Lanskoy
    Last Modified 17 Jan 2015 

    Family 1 Mary or Marie,   b. Abt 1599, of Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   bur. 13 Aug 1626, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 27 years) 
    Married Bef 1618  of Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Phelps,   bur. 8 Jan 1623/1624, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. William Phelps,   c. 9 Sep 1618, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 Feb 1681/1682, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 63 years)
     3. Samuel Phelps,   c. 5 Aug 1621, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 May 1669, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 47 years)
     4. Nathaniel Phelps,   c. 6 Mar 1624/1625, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 May 1702, Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 77 years)
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F1058  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Anne Dover,   b. Abt 1605, of Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Aug 1689, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 84 years) 
    Married 14 Dec 1626  Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Cornelius Phelps,   c. 13 Oct 1627, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. Joseph Phelps,   c. 13 Nov 1628, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 5 Mar 1683/1684, Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 55 years)
     3. Mary Phelps,   c. 13 Nov 1628, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef Dec 1629, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 1 years)
     4. Mary Phelps,   c. 6 Dec 1629, Crewkerne, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef Mar 1644, of Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 14 years)
     5. Sarah Phelps,   b. Abt 1632, of Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 Jul 1659, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 27 years)
    +6. Timothy Phelps,   b. 1 Sep 1639, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. From 2 Mar 1716/1717 to 28 Sep 1719 , Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years)
     7. Mary Phelps,   c. 2 Mar 1644, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 13 Feb 1725/1726, of Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 81 years)
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2015 
    Family ID F1027  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • RESEARCH_NOTES:
      1. The general modern consensus of the ancestry of the original William Phelps, the Immigrant, is now that he originated in Crewkerne. The book "The Phelps Family of America and Their English Ancestors" has led many Phelps descendants to believe that their original ancestor in Connecticut was from Tewkesbury, England, but that has been disproved. Pages 1-72 are about James Phelps and his son William Phelps, who had been thought to be the grandfather and father of William. Pages 72 to 1,257 are about the descendants of William Phelps of Windsor, Connecticut and is considered to be acceptable. The first part of the book should now be disregarded and ignored including George Phelps, the Connecticut contemporary of William, being a brother. Modern DNA testing has not found a link between William and George. The best source of information on the Crewkerne origin of the immigrant William Phelps is from the book "The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633," (Volume III) by Robert Charles Anderson, and Myrtle Steven Hyde, F.A.S.G. This book also uses the article "The English Origin of William Phelps of Dorchester, Mass., and Windsor, Conn. with Notes on His Marriages," The American Genealogist (July 1990) 65:161-166, as the source of its information. I quote from these two latter references in separate notes below. First, I want to quote what is now regarded as the erroneous ancestry from the book "The Phelps Family of America and their English Ancestors," comp. by Oliver Seymour Phelps of Portland, Oregon and Andrew T. Servin of Lenox, Massachusetts, 1899:
      A. "The family came originally from Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England.
      Mr. William Phelps and his family, and brother George Phelps, were the first ancestors of the large proportion of the Phelps families in America.
      We repeat Tewkesbury Abbey Church records of this family:
      James Phelps, b. about 1520, and supposed to have been a brother of Francis Phylppe of Nether Tyne, Staffordshire, England, m. Joan ___, says Prerogative Court of Canterbury, administations 1587-1591, page 60, May 10th, 1588, commission issued to Joan Phelps, relict of James Phelps, late of Tewkesbury, deceased, to administer the goods and chattels of said deceased."
      Children baptized in the Tewkesbury Abbey Church:
      I. William, bp. 4 Aug 1560, m. Dorothy.
      II. Thomas, bp. 10 Aug 1563.
      III. George (In court and other records George and Giles are the same.), bp. 5 Sep 1566.
      IV. Alice, bp. 24 Dec 1572, m. John Hope, 21 Jun 1595.
      V. Edward, bp. 10 May 1578, ancest. fo Rev. Wm. Phelps Prior.
      VI. Keneline, bp. 16 Oct 1580 (prob. Kenelm).
      VII. Richard, bp. 16 Oct 1583.
      VIII. Robert, bp. 18 Jul 1584.
      Prerogative Court of Canterbury, administrations 1611-1614, page 102: May 31, 1613, commission issued to Nicholas Phelps, brother of William Phelps, late of Tewkesbury, deceased, to administer the goods and chattels of the said deceased, during the minority of William Phelps, his son, by reason of the death of Dorothy Phelps, relict of the said William Phelps, deceased, leaving goods still unadministered. From this it appears, that James and Joan Phelps had a son Nicholas, not baptized, or at least not recorded in the baptisms, probably accounted for by loss of lines in register."
      B. "William Phelps, son of James and Joan Phelps, b. Tewkesbury, bapt. 4 Aug 1560, m. Dorothy ___.
      Says Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Sep. 28, 1611, administrations 1611 to 1614: 'Commissioned to Dorothy Phielps, relict of William Phelps, late of Tewkesbury, deceased, to administer the goods and chattles of the said deceased.' He probably died in 1611. His wife, Dorothy, died 1613. They had been baptized in the Tewkesbury Abbey Church.
      I. Mary, bp. 4 Sep 1587.
      II. Mary, bp. 23 Apr 1588.
      III, Thomas, bp. 24 Jun 1590, ancestor of the late John Lloyd Phelps and John J. Phelps, Esq., of the Irish family.
      IV. Dorothy, bp. 29 Feb 1595.
      V. William, bp. 10 Aug 1599. Emigrated to New England.
      VI. James, bp. 14 Jul 1601.
      VII. Elizabeth, bp. 9 May 1603.
      VIII. George, born abt. 1606. (Note: Not in Tewkesbury Record, but unquestionably his son...)"
      C. "William Phelps, (son of William and Dorothy Phelps,) b. ___, bp. Tewkesbury Abbey Church, 19th Aug 1599. Of his wife and date of marriage we find no record. He resided for a time in Tewkesbury, where his first Child, Richard, was born in 1619 and bapt. in the Tewkesbury Abbey Church Dec. 26th, 1619.
      Soon after the birth of his first child (and the death of his father) he probably removed to one of the southern counties, either Somerset or Dorsetshire, as after the birth of this first child we find no reference to him in Tewkesbury, nor do we find any record of the birth of his five other children.
      Mr. Phelps, his wife, six children, and brother George, then unmarried, emigrated to New England in the ship Mary and John, of 400 tons burden commanded by Capt. Squeb, with 140 passengers. This company had been organized into a church and selected their ministers the day before sailing, as previously stated.
      D. "Mr. Phelps' children by first wife:
      I. Richard, b. Tewkesbury, bapt. 26 Dec., 1619. He sailed for the Barbadoes, as previously stated, with Capt. Burch and Gilbert Grimes, then unmarried; all we know of him.
      II. William, b. England about 1620, m. Isabel Wilson; 2nd, Sarah Pinney.
      III. Sarah, b. England about 1623, m. William Wade.
      IV. Samuel, b. England about 1625, m. Sarah Griswold.
      V. Nathaniel, b. England about 1627, m. Elizabeth Copley.
      VI. Joseph, b. England about 1629, m. 1st Hannah Newton, 2nd, Mary Salmon.
      Children by second wife Mary Dover:
      I. Timothy, b. Windsor, Ct., Sept 1st, 1637 [error: s/b 1639], m. Mary Griswold.
      II. Mary, b. Windsor, Ct., March 2nd, 1644, m. Thomas Barber."

      2. Having discounted what is now considered the false ancestry of William per my notes above, the following portion on William from later in the book "The Phelps Family of America and their English Ancestors," comp. by Oliver Seymour Phelps of Portland, Oregon and Andrew T. Servin of Lenox, Massachusetts, 1899, is considered accurate:
      "Mr. Phelps, his wife, six children... emigrated to New England in the ship Mary and John, of 400 tons burden commanded by Capt. Squeb, with 140 passengers. This company had been organized into a church and selected their ministers the day before sailing, as preveiously stated.They sailed from Plymouth, England, March 20th, 1630, arriving and landing at Nantasket, now Hull, Mass., May 30th, 1630.
      This company settled in Dorchester, Mass., the first settlers and founders of that place.
      Dorchester claims the honor of being the first town in the Massachusetts Colony to organize a town government.
      Mr. Phelps took an active position in town matters, and during the first six months was made a freeman.
      The follow reference is made to him in the Massachusetts Colonial Records, where his name is spelled Felps, Phellps and Phelps.
      10 Oct 1630, William Phelps applied to be made freeman. 9 Nov 1630, he was one of a jury of 12, empanneled for the trial of Walter Palmer, concerning the death of Austin Brotcher, found not guilty of manslaughter. (This was the first jury trial in the New England Colony.) 27 Sep 1631, he was chosen constable of Dorchester. 9 May 1632, he was one of the committee of sixteen chosen by the colony to see about the raising of a public stock.
      4 Mar 1634, one of a committee of three to lay out the bounds between Boston and Roxbury.
      1634, William Phelps, Charles Stoughton and George Hull, delegates to the General Court from Dorchsetster this year.
      14 May 1634, he was one of a committee of four to view the ground at Mount Wollaston for the enlargement of Boston, and draw a plan then and report to the next General Court.
      4 Mar 1634, Ensign Gibbs and William Felpes were appointed by the General Court to go with a committee of three to arrange the bounds between Boston and Dorchester, and explain what each town wants.
      5 May 1635, he was a member of the General Court form Dorchester, held in Newtown, now Charlestown.
      8 Jul 1635, Mr. Newbury and William Phelps appointed a committee to set out the bounds between Wessagusetts and Barecove.
      The report of this Committee is interesting, being the style of language of Mr. Phelps.
      The following is a true copy form the Massachusetts Colonial Records:
      'The ryver between Hingham and Waymother, runing on the East syde of the ryver, that creeke being their bounds to the head of it, to an oake marked, and soe their lyne to rune into the countrie, upon the same paynt that boundeth Boston and Waymothe. Also wee appoynneted Waymothe to make vse of all the timer on Hingham syde, from a cove called Lovells Cove vpward in the ryver halfe a myle in bredth and three quarters of a myle in length, for the space of fforty yeares; also wee prhibeted Waymothe for making any inprouem' on the gorund. By mee, Willm. Phelps.'
      The following references are made to Mr. Phelps in the Dorchester Records -
      3 Apr 1633, 'It is agreed that a double rayle fence with mortises in the posts of 10 foot distance one from the other, shall be set up in the Marsh, from the corner of Richard Phelps his pale eastward to the creeks, but the owners of the cows under named - proportionably twenty feet to every cow.'
      With others 'William Phelps two cows - 40 foote.' 'Feb. 10th, 1634, Among the persons appoynted 'to view the poles' for the east field, Will Phelps and Mr. Thomas Stoughton.'
      5 Jul 1635, 'It is granted to William Phelps, to fence in two acres and half of dry gorund adjoyning to his meadow ground, in the little neck, in satisfaction for what he wants in his home lot.'
      In this year, 1635, Mr. Phelps's wife died. In the fall of 1635, the Rev. Mr. Warham with sixty of his Church in Dorchester, removed to the settling of Windsor, Ct. Mr. William Phelps and his family, and brother George, accompanied this expedition, though it is probable that Mr. William Phelps did not go down to Windsor, Ct. till the following spring.
      This journey is thus briefly described by the Historian: 'Never before had the forests of america witnessed such a scene as this, driving their cattle before them, the compass their only guide thorugh the bewildering mazes of the unbroken forest, commencing and ending each day's march, with songs of praise and heartfelt utterance of prayer, which sounded strangely amidst these solitudes. They journeyed on through the chilly November days.' That which is now a journey of but a few hours behind the iron horse, was then with them (the women, children and cattle) a journey of two weeks.
      How applicable are the wise words of Daniel Webster: 'We hear the whisperings of youthful impatience, and we see chilled and shivering Children, homeless but for a mother's arms, couchless but or a mother's breast, until one's blood almost freezes.'
      At the time of the emigration of the Dorchester colony, and other Massachusetts settlers to Windsor, in 1635, it was supposed to be under the control of the Massachusetts Company, and a commission of seven persons was appointed to govern the new colony, in Connecticut; for one year Mr. William Phelps was one of this commission. The following is a textual copy of the commission from the Massachusetts Colonial Records.
      3 Mar 1636, 'A Commission granted to Seuall Persons to govern the people att Conecticott, for the space of a year, now next coming, an Exemplificacon where ensueth:
      Whereas vpon some reason & grounds, there are to remvoe from this o' comonwealth & body of the Mattachusetts in America, dyv's of o' loveing ffriends, neighb's ffreeman & members of Newe Towne, Dorches', Waterton, & other places, whoe are resolved to transplant themselues & their estates vnto the Ryver of Conecticott, there to reside and inhabite, & to that end dyv's are there already dyv's others shortly to goe, wee, in this present Court assembeld, on the behlfe of o' said Members & John Winthrop, Junr., Esq. goun., appoyneted by certain noble personages & men of qualitie, interested in the said ryvr. wch. yet in England, on their behalfe, have had a serious consideracon there (on) & think it meete that where there are a people to sett down & cohabite, there will followe, vpon occacion, some cause of difference, as also dyvers misdeameanrs wch. will require a speedy redresse; & in regard of the distance of place this state and goumt connot take notice of the same as to apply timely remedy, or to dispence equall justice to them, & their affaries, as may be desired; and in regard of the said nobel psonages, and men of quallitie, have something ingaged themselve & their estate, in the planting of the said ryver and by vertue of a pattent, doe require juridcicion of the said place & people, & neither the mindes of the said psonages (they being writ unto) are as yet knowen, nor any manner of gount. is yet agreed on, & there being a necesitie, as aforesaid, that some present goumt. may be observed, wee therefore thinke mee(te) & soe order that Roger Ludlowe, Esqre., William Pinchon, Esq., John Steele, William Swaine, Henry Smythe, William Phe)lpes), William Westwood & Andrew Warde, or the greater pte of them, shall have full power and auethoritie to hear and determine in a judicial way, by witnesses vpon oathe examine, wth(in) the said plantacon, all those differences, wch may arise between ptie and ptie, as also, vpon misemeanr, to inflicte corporall punishm', or imprisonmt, to ffine & levy the same if occacon soe require, to make & decree such orders, for the present, that may be for the peaceable & quiett ordering the ffaires of the said plantacon, bothe in tradeing, planting, building, lotts, militaire dissipline, defensine in warr (iif neede so require), as shall best conduce to the publique good of the same, & that the saide Rodger Ludlow, William Pinchon, John Steele, Willm Swaine, Henry Smyth, Willm Phelpes, William Westwood, and Andrew Warner, or the greatr pte of them shall have power, under the greater pte of their ha(nds) at a day or days, by them appoyneted, upon convenient not(ice), to convent the said inhabitant, of the said towns to any convenient place, that they shall think meete, in the leagall and open manner, by way of Court to pleede in execute(ing) the power and authoriu of aforesaide, and in case of presnt necessitie, two of them joyning to geather to inflict corporall punishmt, upon any offender, if they see good and warentable gournd so to doe. Provided always that this commisssion shall not extend any longer time than one whole year, from the date there of, and in the mean time it shall be lawful for this Cort, to recall the said psons if they see couse, and if soe be there may be a mutuall, and settel govunt - Condecended unto, by and with the good likeing and consent of the said noble psonages, or their agent, the inhabitants and commonwealth, provided also, that his ma not be any prejudice to the interest of these noble personage in the sd. ryver and confined there of with their small lymitts.'
      Says Trumbull: 'The first Court held under this Commision was April 26th, 1636. Mr. Roger Ludlow presiding, present in all, six. of these, Mr. William Phelps was one.'
      Say Stiles, Hist. Windsor: 'The town records of Windsor or Dorchester, as it was first called prior to 1650, ar not in existence.'
      From Stles History and others, we gather the following:
      At a Court 21 Feb 1637, 'It is ordered yt the plantacon called Dorchester shall bee called Windsor.'
      At a Court held 1 May 1637, Mr. William Phelps presiding, "It is ordered that there shall be an offensive war against the Pequots.'
      The Court held its sessions from time to time, and was legislative, judicial and executive in character.
      In 1638 it being admitted that this Connecticut colony was out of the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts colony, the people of Windsor,, Wethersfield and Hartford, met in Hartford, Jan. 2nd, 1639, and adopted a constitution for the Connecticut colony. This document recognized no authority save God, superior to that delegated by the people.
      This document was drawn up by Mr. Roger Ludlow presiding magistrate, with the assistance of the magistrates, of whom Mr. William Phelps was one.
      From this date to the present time there has been no radical change in the forms or principles of the government of Connecticut.
      This government consisted of five magistrates, of a legislative, judicial and executive character, chosen by the freemen of the colony, and the house of assistants chosen by the towns. This continued up to 1665.
      Mr. Phelps held the office of magistrate, from 1639-1643, and 1656-1662; from 1645-1649 inclusive. He was a deputy also in 1651.
      At a Court held Sept. 9th, 1641, "It was ordered that the governor, Mr. William Phelps, and Capt. Mason, are directed to meet with Phenicke, concerning liberty to make salt in Rhode Island, and to take first act.'
      At a Court held 1642, the first of government on record relating to Simsbury, whose Indian name was 'Massaco,' was an order passed by the Court of which Mr. William Phelps was a member, and in these words: 'It is ordered that the governor, and Mr. Haynes shall have liberty to dispose of that part of land on the river called Massacoe, to such inhabitants of Windsor, as they shall see cause.'
      The following letter of Hon. Charles J. Hoadley, librarian, explains the photographed document, signed by four of the magistrates of the Connecticut colony, and written about 1661, and which gives with others the autograph of Mr. William Phelps.
      'Connecticut State Library, Hartford, Nov. 19, 1895. Sir: The body of the document you caused to be photographed is in the handwritng of Daniel Clarke, Secretary of the colony. The document has no date but was written in 1661, probably in the summer. The filing ont the back is in a modern hand and is '1661, Magistrates attest yt. Mr. Talcott is Treasurer of Connecticut Collony & order'd to pay 1st Govr. Winthrop ₤500 sterling in provision &c. Yours respectfully, Charles J. Hoadley.'
      From Stiles History of Windsor and other records we get:
      4 Jan 1638, 'Mr. Phelps with Messrs. Haynes, and Ludlow and Hopkins, a Committee to settle Plymouth Colony claims, with the Connectiuct Colony, as regards to the Plymouth Colonies' claims to land on the Connecticut River.'
      13 Jan 1652, Mr. William Phelps, with five others from the town of Windsor, grant to THomas Parsons, a ferry, on the Connecticut River for one year.
      13 Dec 1653, Mr. William Phelps one of a Committee of five, 'to advise with the Constable in preparing twelve men for the Indian War.'
      16 Jul 1660, Old Roll Book of Church, Mr. William Phelps paid 7 shillings slip rent, one of the highest rates paid that year.
      7 Apr 1663, to subscription for poor and wanting, in other towns or colonies, Mr. William Phelps 9 shillings.
      7 Apr 1673, A deed recorded in the land office, dated May 15th, 1637, from the Plymouth Company to the Windsor Co. for lands claimed by the Plymouth Co. in Windsor. Witnessed - Mr. William Phelps and five others.
      The office of lister or assessor, was one of the earliest created at this time; instead of appraising the land, or property assessed - the land was classed in several grades - in 1675 the 1st. grade was persons owning a horse, and four oxen; 2nd. grade - owning a horse and two oxen. Mr. Willam Phelps was of this grade of which at that time there were 42.
      It may be interesting here to notice a few of the laws enacted by our ancestrtor, Mr. William Phelps, and his associates, and executed by them, which with others are called the 'Blue Laws of Connectiut.'
      Say Stiles, 'We find capital crimes more numerous than now. It was a capital offence to worship any other than the True God - to practice adultery - or the crime against nature, or rape, or to balsphene, or to exercise witchcraft - or to steal men or women - or for children 'unless brought up in unchristian neglect,' to curse or to smite, or to be stubborn or rebellious toward their parents.
      Lying in those days was deemed a peculiarly heinous offence. In 1641 the General Court stigmatized it as a fowl and gross sin, - Mr Webster of Hartford and Mr. Phelps of Windsor ware requested to consult with the elder of both churches, to prepare instructions against the next Court, for the punishment of the sin of lying.
      In the code of 1650 all persons above the age of 14 years found guilty of lying, are made punishable by fines, stocks or stripes - and punished by parents in presence of officers.
      Upon contempt for God's holy word or ministers was rigorously dealt with. The 1st offence with reproof, and bonds for good behavior; the 2nd 5₤, fine, and standing in the pillory on a lecture day, bearing on the breast a paper duly labelled in captal letters, 'An open and obstinate contemner of God's Holy Word.'
      Absence from church was visited by a fine of five shillings.
      Forgery was punished by three days in the pillory - payment of coubledamage to the injured party, and disqualification as a witness or juryman.
      Fornication by fine, whipping or prohibition to marry. For censure of the Genreal Court the stocks, and the whipping post, which were peculiar institutions of the older times.
      In a case of bastardy tried in the colony in 1639, the Court ordered as follows: 'John Edwards, Aaron Stark, and John Williams were censured for unclean practices as follows:
      John Edwards and John Williams to stand upon the pillory from the ringing of the first bell to the end of the lecture - then to be whipped at the cart's tail, and to whipped in a like manner in Windsor in eight days following.
      Aaron Starks, to stand upon the pillory and be whipped as Williams, and to have the letter R burnt upon his cheek, and in regard to the wrong done to Mary Holt, to pay her parents ₤10 and in defect of such to the commonwealth; and it is the will of the Court that Mr. Ludlow, and Mr. Phelps see some punishment inflicted upon the girl for concealing it so long.
      Branding was a form of punishment not uncommon - burglary and highway robbery was blazoned with the letter B-A. 2nd offence by second branding, and a severe whipping.
      Sept., 1644, James Hallett for his theft, is adjudged to restore four fold for what shall be proved before Captain Mason, and Mr. Wolcott, and to be branded in the hand the next training day at Windor.
      These New England magistrates after the weeks courting and Ordering, entered the meeting house on the Lord's day, and seated themselves in the magistrates pew, and then sang:
      'O God our help in ages past,
      Our hope for years to come,
      Our shelter form the steormy blast,
      And our Eternal home' - etc.
      What changes in laws and costumes, charactes and worship since that time! Now evil speaking, and evil doing and saying are rampant, and infidelity boldly presents itself all over the land.
      The Church in Windsor, with which our ancestor, Mr. William Phelps, and his associates were connected, was, it would appear, organized by them and their associates in Plymouth, old England, early in 1630 as previously stated.
      The call of these emigrants of their first pastors, the Rev. Mr. Warham and Rev. Mr. Mayerick, their acceptance of same, and their installment, by the Rev. John White, in the New Hospital, Plymouth, England, the Sunday before sailing settling Dorchester, Mass., and from there to Windsor, Connecticut, in 1635-6, all of which have been mentioned before.
      This church held its 250th anniversay in 1880. Many of the descendants of Mr. William Phelps, still worship there...
      Says Stiles' History of Windsor: - 'Many of the prominent men of the colony dealt largely in real estate.'
      The purchase of the Plymouth by the Windsor Company in 1637, of land originally purchased by them of the Indians, was the first land owned by the English in Windsor.
      Some time in 1635 Mr. William Phelps purchased of Nassahegan, lands referred to in the above sale, who afterwards, not being able to prove full payment of the same, honestly bought it over again. This transaction is referred to in Stiles as follows; it is in a deed dated March 31st, 1665.
      'These presents testify, whereas there was a parcel of land purchased formerly by Mr. William Phelps, Sen., living in Windsor about thirty years since, of Sehat, an Indian, a Paquanick Sachem, and I (Phelps) not being able to prove full payment of the said purchase in consideration, I now engageto make up the full payment by paying to the said Schat's kinsman, Nassahegan, Sachem, of Paquanick, 4 trucking coats, or what upon agreement shall satisfy them to the value thereof. The said Nassahegan engaging to make the said parcel of land free, as shall be expressd from any challenge or demands for further time of himself, his heirs or successors, or any other Indian or Indians whatsoever. And Coggerymosset, Sehat's son, and his sister, and Nassahegan's own sister, shall subscribe to the said premises. The said parcel of land is thus bounded, as it takes in all the first meadow bounded by the rivulet, the Indian name being Tauchag, and half of the second meadow according to the running of the river, the Indian name being Pabachimusk; the parcel of land bounds south by a little brook that falls into the river about 40 rods from my own dwelling house, and to extend in length from the river westward upon a line three miles, all the breadth of the said land from the south brook to the middle of the 2nd meadow; which said agreement is made and signed to by us whose names are underwritten, this year of the Lord 1665, March 31st - owned already, paid in two coats and 40 s. in wampum for a third coat, and six bushels of Indian corn, and fifteen shillings in wampum for the fourth coat, and fifteen shillings in wampum, is at six a penny. Witnesses: Samuel Phelps, Matthew Grant, John Bartlett, Timothy Buckland. Signed by: Coggerynossett, Asuthew (Coggerynosset's sister), Patackhouse (Nassahegan's sister), Amannawer (Nassagegan's sister), and Nassahegan.
      Says the record - In Feb., 1666, 'Whereas there are several men that have land within the limits of it (the purchase aforesaid) both meadow and up-land, besides Mr. Phelps and his sons, it was therefor concluded that each man according to his proportion of land, capable of plowing or mowing, shall pay 12 pence per acre to Mr. Phelps; and each man paying to Mr. Phelps should afterwards have clear title to their several shares of land.'
      (Note) - Says Trumbull's History of Conn.: 'In these early days the title of Mister or Mr. was only given to elderly persons of distinction, while all military titles were always used.' William Phielps received this distinguished title of Mr.
      Mr. William Phelp's residence in Windsor, in 1636, was on the road running northerly, and later continued to Poquonoc, and a short distance north of the mill in Mill-river Valley, and was in line with, 1st, Rev. Mr. Warham, Joseph Newbury, John Dorchester, then Mr. William Phelps. He with some neighbors were drowned out in the great flood of 1639.
      This annual flood which succeeds the breaking up of the ice in the Connecticut river, commenced this year March 5th, and continued by stormy wind and heavy rainfalls to the 18th, until its waters were at the highest; by the 22nd, at night, they were well fallen, yet it was as high then as ever known by the Indians. Many were drowned out and great numbers of cattle were drowned.
      This lot was sold with a house, in 1642, to Benjamin Newbury, but a transfer in 1662 does not mention a house.
      Soon after the flood Mr. Phelps removed farther north and settled south on the Highland of what is known on the map as Phelps meadows, on a road running east and west and on the east side of a road running to Poquonock.
      On land purchased by him of the Indians, his son William resided a short distance east of him. Marks of the cellar of this old house may yet be seen.
      In regard to deed or pawn of his property, it is recorded in the land office after his death - Record of Possession.
      'Whereas it is testified by Nathaniel Gillett, Sen., and Timothy Phelps, that William Phelps in his life time stood possessed in his own right of that orchard land, that lies on the southerly side of the street before his dwelling house, as it is now fenced in, for the space of twenty years at least, without trouble from any person prosecuting his claim in due form of law. The said land is therefore, according to law, entered upon Public Records, to belong to the grantee of the said William Phelps, Sen., his heirs and assigns forever. Henry Wolcot, Register and Selectman. Benjamin Newbury, Commissioner.'
      Many records of purchase and sale of land by Mr. William Phelps are recorded in the land records of Windsor.
      Says Dr. Stiles, 'He was one of the most prominent and highly respected men in the colony. An excellent, pious, and upright man in his public and private life, and was truly a pillar in Church and State.' And he might have added, one of the fathers and founders of this now ocean-bound Republic.
      Mr. Phelps married for his second wife Mary Dover in 1638. She was an English lady and one of the passengers of the ship, Mary and John, and was a member of the Dorchester and Windsor Church. By her he had two children.
      After a residence on 42 years in New England, 36 of which were spent in Windsor, he died there July 14th, and was buried July 15th, 1672, in his 73rd year, honored and respected by all. His wife died there November 27th, 1675."

      3. FHL book 929.273 B233w, "Descendants of Thomas Barber of Windsor, Connecticut, 1614-1909," John Barber White, pp. 22-23, has the following information, but the first part stating he was born in 1599 in Tewksbury in County Gloucester and married Elizabeth is not regarded as being correct:
      "William Phelps, the father of Mary, wife of Thomas Barber, was born in Tewksbury, County Gloucester, England, 1599. He removed to Somerset or Dorsetshire, England. His first wife was Elizabeth ___(surname unknown). He came to Dorchester, Mass., in 1630, and in 1636 removed to Windsor, Conn. He applied to be made freeman, Oct. 19, 1630. He was a member of the jury impaneled for the trial of Walter Palmer for the murder of Austin Brotchus, being the first trial by jury in New England. That he was a highly respected and active citizen, is evidenced by the various positions of trust which he occupied. He was member in 1636 of the first court held in Connecticut, and of the court which in 1637 declared war against the Pequots. Was magistrate from 1638 to 1642, and again in 1658; was foreman of the first Grand Jury in 1643, and deputy to the General Court from 1645 to 1649, and from 1651 to 1658; was magistrate again from 1658 to 1662, and in 1641 was appointed member of a committee on lying. His 2nd wife, Mary Dover, is said to have been a fellow passenger from England with him. They were married in Windsor. His Windsor residence is about three quarters of a mile northwest of Broad Street, on the road to Poquonnock. As late as 1859 it was owned by Dea. Roger Phelps. William Phelps, Sr., died July 14, 1692. His wife died Nov. 27, 1675."

      4. 31 Dec 2005 http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=3a900e374c614e6ee74631872f0014f8&topic=3639.0:
      "The following was supplied by Margaret Swanson formerly with Phelps Connections and line leader for the NE Phelps. The William Phelps b. 1560 of Tewksbury was the supposed father of William b. 1593 and George according to The Phelps Family of America. The accepted evidence now is that this William is the ancestor of a William Phelps, born in Tewksbury about 1595 who REMAINED in Tewksbury and is probably NOT related to the William of Crewkerne who had no brother George or other Phelps relative who came to America. Therefore, I would scrap the William of Tewksbury as an ancestor of either the George Phelps who came to Dorchester and Windsor and as an ancestor of William Phelps who came to Dorchester and Windsor. Of course, since the origins of George Phelps have not been proved at present, and as far as I know proven descendants of William of Tewksbury have not had a Y-DNA test he can't be ruled out as SOME sort of a relative of either George or William. I believe until further evidence proves I'm wrong, that there are THREE distinct New England Phelps groups: (1) William, (2) George, and (3) Henry/Edward/Nicholas of Salem, MA 1634. Henry's group supposedly came from London, but since that was a departure point for many emigrants, there must be more research to establish whether they lived there or came from elsewhere to the port. According to the Phelps Genealogy Nicholas did not leave any descendants in New England, but both Henry and Edward did. These are found predominantly in Essex Co., MA, New Hampshire, Maine (17th to 18th + centuries) and then spread through New England and across the country and were mostly Baptists. They used a different group of given names - especially Henry, Samuel, Edward, Robert, Margaret, No Submits, Charitys, Josephs, Timothys, Cornelius. George's went north on the Connecticut River to middle and western MA, along the "frontier," were also Baptists, and seemed to live at the western edges of settled areas. The names of George's children were more similar to those of Williams, and I'd have to check to see which were the most popular. Of course the names of the father's of wives can be traced for several generations in some family lines. William's went to Connecticut, were usually Congregationalists or members of the established church, although not the wealthiest men in town, ONE member of a family would often hold a town office, postmaster, representative to the legislature, etc. Zillions of Josephs, Williams, John, Timothys, Samuel, no Georges until after the time of George Washington, and William H's, [after William Henry Harrison], Abigail, Anna, Mary, Elizabeth, Sarah. [Old Testament names]."

      5. From the book "Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33": "William Phelps:
      Origin: Crewkerne, Somersetshire Migration: 1630 on Mary & John First Residence: Dorchester Removes: Windsor 1635 Church Membership: Second on the list of men who came from Dorchester church to Windsor with Mr. Warham ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" in Some Early Records and Documents of and Relating to the Town of Windsor, Connecticut, 1639-1703 (Hartford 1930) - hereinafter refered to as "Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681," 10]. Freeman: Requested 19 October 1630 and admitted 18 May 1631 (as "Will[ia]m Felpes") [Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, 1628-1686, Nathaniel B. Shurtleff, ed., 5 volumes in 6 (Boston 1853-1854) hereinafter refered to as MBCR 1:79, 366]. In list of Windsor freemen, 11 October 1669 (as "Mr. Will[iam] Phelps Sen.") [The Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut, 1636-1776, 15 volumes (Hartford 1850-1890), hereinafter refered to as CCCR 2:519]. Offices: Deputy for Dorchester to Massachusetts Bay General Court, 9 May 1632, 6 May 1635 [MBCR 1:95, 145]. Committee on boundary between Boston and Roxbury, 4 March 1633/4 [MBCR 1:113]. Committee to survey Mount Wollaston, 14 May 1634 [MBCR 1:119, 139]. Committee on boundary between Wessaguscus and Barecove, 8 July 1635 [MBCR 1:149, 161]. Jury on death of Austin Bratcher, 9 November 1630 [MBCR 1:81]. Dorchester constable, 27 September 1631 [MBCR1:91]. Dorchester selectman, 8 October 1633, 28 October 1634, November 1635 (six months) [Fourth Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston. 1880. Dorchester Town Records (Boston 1883), hereinafter refered to as DTR 3, 7, 13]. Committee to set the rate, 3 November 1633 [DTR 4]. Lot layer, 3 November 1633 [DTR 4]. Fence~viewer in East Field, 10 February 1634/5 [DTR 10]. Appointed by Massachusetts Bay one of the commissioners for the new towns on the Connecticut River, 3 March 1635/6 [MBCR 1:170-71]. Assistant, April 1636, September 1636, March 1637, May 1637, November 1637, March 1638, April 1638 - April 1642, May 1658 - May 1662 [List of Officials Civil, Military, and Ecclesiastical of Connecticut Colony... and New Haven Colony..., Donald Lines Jacobus, comp. (New Haven 1935), hereinafter refered to as CT Civil List 43]. Deputy for Windsor to Connecticut General Court, April 1645, September 1645, April 1646, October 1646, May 1647, September 1647, May 1648, September 1648, May 1649, September 1649, September 1650, May 1651, September 1651, May 1652, September 1652, May 1653, October 1653, May 1654, September 1654, May 1655, February 1657, May 1657, October 1657 [CT Civil List 43]. Committee to organize expedition against Pequots, 26 August 1639 [CCCR 1:32]. War Committee (Windsor), May 1653, October 1654 [CT Civil List 43]. Estate: On 3 April 1633 he was ordered to maintain forty feet of fencing for two cows at Dorchester [DTR 2]. On 5 July 1635 he was granted two and a half acres [DTR 12]. In the meadow beyond Naponset "W. Philps" drew lot #40 containing six acres [DTR 321]. In the Windsor land inventory of 23 February 1640, William Phelps the elder "hath granted from the plantation one homelot with its additions, nine acres more or less" (annotated "sold to Mr. Wareham"); "also one great lot fifty acres ... with meadow adjoining, seventeen acres"; "over the great river in breadth thirty-four rods, in length three miles" (annotated "given to Sam[uel] & Nathan[iel] Phelps"); "by the little meadow in upland two acres and half more or less, in breadth six rods, in length sixty-seven rods" (annotated "purchased by Daniell Clark & Bray Rossiter"); "in meadow adjoining two acres & half in breadth four rods & half more or less" (annotated "purchased by Rich[ard] Vere"); "also purchased of John Brookes a parcel of land in the upper end of the meadow by his dwelling house containing two acres of meadow with the swamp adjoining"; "also given from the town forty acres of woodland" [Windsor, Connecticut, Deeds (microfilm of original at Connecticut State Library, Hartford, Connecticut), hereinafter refered to as WiLR 1:78]. On 27 June 1664 swamp land measured out for Mr. Phelps totalled something over three acres [WiLR 1:78]. Son William Phelps's inventory showed that he "had by deed of gift from his father William Phelps the elder" one acre of meadow and four and a half acres of upland [WiLR 1:84]. By February 1650[/1] William Phelps purchased of his father William Phelps a parcel of swampland [WiLR 82]. On 10 March 1663/4 the Connecticut Court granted to "Mr. Phelps, 200 acres of upland and twenty of meadow, where he can find it; provided it prejudice not former grants and plantations set up and to set up" [CCCR 1:419]. Birth: By about 1593 based on estimated date of marriage. Death: Windsor 14 July 1672 ("Old Mr. William Phelps died" [Births Marriages and Deaths Returned from Hartford, Windsor and Fairfield and Entered in the Early Land Records of the Colony of Connecticut..., Edwin Stanley Welles, ed. (Hartford 1898), hereinafter refered to as CTVR, 27]). Marriage: (1) By 1618 Mary ____, who was buried at Crewkerne 13 August 1626. (2) Crewkerne 14 November 1626 Anne Dover. "Mistress Phelps" was the first on the list of women members of the church at Dorchester who came with Mr. Warham to Windsor ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" in Some Early Records and Documents of and Relating to the Town of Windsor, Connecticut, 1639-1703 (Hartford 1930) 9]. She died Windsor 30 August 1689 ("Mrs. An Phelps died" [CTVR 57]). Children:
      With first wife
      i William, bp. Crewkerne 9 September 1618; m. (1) Windsor 4 June 1645 Isabel Wilson ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 55; The American Genealogist, Volume 9 to present (1932+) 52:78]; m. (2) Windsor 20 December 1676 Sarah Pinney ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 72].
      ii Samuel, bp. Crewkerne 5 August 1621; m. Windsor 10 November 1650 Sarah Griswold ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 55].
      iii Infant, bur. Crewkerne 8 January 1623[/4].
      iv Nathaniel, bp. Crewkerne 6 March 1624[/5]; m. Windsor 17 September 1650 Elizabeth (____) Copley ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 55].
      With second wife
      v Cornelius, bp. Crewkerne 13 October 1627; no further record.
      vi Joseph (twin), bp. Crewkerne 13 November 1628; m. (1) Windsor 20 September 1660 Hannah Newton ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" in Some Early Records and Documents of and Relating to the Town of Windsor, Connecticut, 1639-1703 (Hartford 1930) 57; The American Genealogist, Volume 9 to present (1932+) 65:13-16]; m. (2) Northampton 19 December 1676 Mary (____) Salmon [Manuscript volume of vital records kept by John Pynchon, at Connecticut Valley Historical Museum 20].
      vii Mary (twin), bp. Crewkerne 13 November 1628; d. soon.
      viii Mary, bp. Crewkerne 6 December 1629; no further record.
      ix Sarah, b. say 1632; m. Windsor 9 June 1658 William Wade [Loomis 1:63].
      x Timothy, b. Windsor Aug. or 1 September 1639 ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 55]; m. Windsor 19 March 1661[/2?] Mary Griswold ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 56].
      xi Mary, b. March 1644 ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 55]; m. Windsor 17 December 1663 Thomas Barber ["Matthew Grant Record, 1639-1681" 25].
      Associations: George Phelps of Dorchester and Windsor (not to be confused with George PHillIPS of the same two places) may have been a brother of William Phelps [The American Genealogist, Volume 9 to present (1932+) 65:165-66]. This George Phelps married as his first wife Philura Randal, daughter of PHillIP RANDALL; he was also, in some manner as yet undetermined, an uncle of Elisha Hart, son of Edmund Hart. Comments: In 1919 Mary Lovering Holman prepared a brief account of the family of William Phelps [Mary Lovering Holman, The Scott Genealogy.... (Boston 1919), 252-53]. In 1990 Myrtle S. Hyde resolved the problem of the identity of the wives of William Phelps and was also able to find the baptisms of his children in England [The American Genealogist, Volume 9 to present (1932+) 65:161-66]. All the Crewkerne records cited above are taken from her article."

      6. Henry R. Stiles, "The History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut," 1892, v. 2, pp. 563-65, has the following information, but I omit the first part which states he was born in 1599 in Tewkesbury in County Gloucester and married Elizabeth since this is not regarded as being correct as explained in notes above: "William... came to Dorchester, Mass., with Rev. Mr. Warham, of whose church, formed in Plymouth, England, he was an original member. - Old Church Records. He was accompanied hither by his wife and five children... He was from the first a prominent and highly respected citizen at Dorchester, his name frequently occurring in the "Mass. Records." 19 Oct 1630, he applied to be made a freeman; 9 Nov 1630, he was one of the jury empaneled for the trial of Walter Palmer for the murder of Austin Brotchus - the first trial by jury in New England; 27 Sep 1631, he was appointed Constable of Dorchester; 4 Mar 1634, Ens. Gibbs and Wm. Felps were appointed by the Genreral Court to go with a committee of three to arrange the borders between Boston and Dorchester, and explain what each town wants; 5 May 1635, he was a member of the General Court of Massachusetts from Dorchester. In the spring of 1636 he removed with his children (his wife having died in Dorchester) to Windsor, whither his brother George is understood to have preceded him, in the first emigration of Mr. Warham's church in the fall of 1635.
      In Windsor, as in Dorchester, he ranked as an honored and active citizen; was a member of the first court held in Connecticut, 1636; also in 1637, which declared war against the Pequots; was a magistrate from 1638 to the close of 1642; foreman of the first Grand Jury 1643; deputy to Gen. Ct. 1645, '46-'49, '51, '57; in 1658 was again made magistrate and held the office for 4 years after; is frequeintly named on the petit jury; in 1641 was appointed together with Mr. Welles of Hartford a committee on 'lying'. He was an excellent, pious, and upright man in his public and private life, and was truly 'a pillar in church and state.' His residence in Windsor was about three-quarters of a mile N.W. of Broad St on the road to Poquonock, on a place owned (1859) by Dea. Roger Phelps.
      He m. (2) at Windsor, Mary Dover, b. in England, and who is said to have been a fellow passenger with him on the 'Mary and John.' She was a member of original church of Dorchester and Windsor. - O.C.R.
      After a residence of 42 years in New England, ow which 36 where passed in Windsor, he died there 14 Jul 1672; his widow d. 27 Nov 1675. - O.C.R.
      In the Old Church Records and other Windsor records, Mr. Phelps was distinguished from his son William as 'Ould Mr. Phelps.' children (by first marriage, born in England):
      A. William, b. abt. 1620 (in a deposition taken at Hartford 29 May 1677, is mentioned as being about threescore years of age - i.e. b. 1617); removed from Dorchester with his father to Windsor where he was admitted to member of Windsor church 17 Nov 1639. - O.C.R. He m. (1) Isabel Wilson, 4 Jun 1645, 'now since 29 years and has had no child,' 15 Jul 1674 (O.C.R.); she admitted to Windsor 11 Mar 1654 (O.C.R.); d.s.p. He m. (2) Sarah (dau. Humphrey) Pinney, 20 Dec 167 (O.C.R.); she was b. 19 Nov, bp. 3 Dec 1648; he sett. one-third of his ppy. on her before marriage; no issue by her. He was made a freeman at Hartford 1669; d. 7 Feb 1681; contrib. 9 s. to Conn. Fund for Relief of Poor of other Cols., 1676. His noncupative will, dated 10 Feb 1681 gives all his land to his bro. Timothy. (He had land near his father, and his homestead on the N. side of the E. and W. road which ran from Josiah Ellsworth's {late Peter Brown's} house to the Rivulet. It was garrisoned in King Philip's War (1675/6) by details of Windsor men. William,. Jr. was a worthy man, tho' not a conspicuous figure as compared with his father. He had one of his wife's nephew's, Samuel Wilson, reside with him, and possibly (O.C.R.) adopted him. He gave him land on the opp. side of road form his own house. In making Sarah Pinney his second wife he executed a jointure before marriage, giving her much of his property, and a controversy arose, after the death of 'William the younger,' concerning this land, between her and the adopted son. William Phelps owned the W. part of the Ellison-Orton lot, 40 rods on highway, and bought of Sam. Pond 11 rods more, ext'g from his ho.-lot S. 51 rods of present ditch which drained the once swamp W. of old highway. - J.H.H.)
      B. Sarah, b. abt. 1623; m. Windsor 9 Jun 1658 Wm. Wade of Middletown, Conn.; she d. 10 Jul 1659; s.p.
      C. Samuel, b. abt. 1625.
      D. Nathaniel, b. abt. 1627.
      E. Joseph, b. abt. 1629.
      By second marriage:
      F. Timothy, 'was born here in Aug. 1639' - O.C.R.
      G. Mary, 'was born here March 1644'; m. Thos. Barber; sett. at Simsbury and became the ancestors of the S. Barbers."

      7. Website 22 Nov 2007 http://family.phelpsinc.com/history/europe/index.html:
      A. "William and George Phelps were founders of Simsbury, Connecticut. The Simsbury Historical Society owns and operates The Phelps Homestead, a museum complex in the heart of Simsbury. George's identity as William's brother has been generally disproved, or at least not confirmed to professional reseacher's satisfaction. It is usually accepted that he actually arrived aboard the Recovery of London in 1635."
      B. "Phelps Arrival in New England Aboard the "Mary and John." William Phelps was aboard the Mary and John before it set sail for the Colonies. It was one of several ships, along with the Hercules on which Henry Phelps was embarked, that were temporarily detained by a "Warrant & Order" in London (2) in February, 1633/4. Since this port is along the south coast, a major port, and on the route, it was certainly a possible stop. On 20 March 1630 the ship Mary & John sailed from Plymouth, England, with 140 passengers.
      The Mary and John is reported (1) to have taken three voyages out of Plymouth, England:
      June, 1607. The Mary & John departed Falmouth, England, for the coast of Maine in the company of the Gift of God.
      October 6, 1607. The Mary & John left the settlers at the mouth of the Kennebec River (now Sabino, Maine), arriving at Plymouth, England, on December 1, 1607.
      1630. Brought 140 passengers to New England from the West Country (counties of Dorset, Somerset, Devon & Cornwall).
      About March 26, 1634. The Mary & John departed London for New England. See a list of her passengers.
      The families were all recruited by the Rev. John White of Dorchester, Dorset. Nearly all of these families came from the West Country of England, i.e. counties of Somerset, Dorset and Devon. The ship landed in New England, on 30 May 1630, nine days before the Winthrop Fleet arrived. These people founded one of the first towns in Massachusetts, Dorchester, 1630, and one of the earliest in Connecticut, Windsor, five years later.
      The Mary & John left England in March of 1630 and arrived seventy days later, on May 30, 1630, at the mouth of what is now Boston harbor. The ship's captain refused to sail up the Charles river as planned, because he feared running the ship aground in waters that he had no charts for. He instead left the passengers in a desolate locale, miles from their intended destination. The settlors were forced to transport 150,000 pounds of livestock, provisions and equipment 20 miles overland to their final destination.
      These are two suggested passenger lists for the ship Mary & John that Bygod Eggleston and his sons probably traveled on to reach the New World in 1630. These lists were compiled by the authors from a variety of sources. No actual recorded passenger list from the Mary & John has come to light and there remain many questions as to who actually sailed on this ship and who came on subsequent ships. Some of the people on these lists have later been proven not to have traveled on the Mary & John."

      8. From the booklet "The Settlement of Windsor, Connecticut," by Kent Avery, Donna Siemiatkoski, and Robert Silliman, reprinted 2002 by the Windsor Historical Society. The booklet contains various editions of a list of the "Founders of Ancient Windsor" with the latest and most accurate being amended and approved June 1996. The list names the heads of households in Windsor by June 1641. Family related ancestors included are as follows. ST=Saltonstall Party of 1635 (Lords and Gentlemen); D=Dorchester, Mass; H=Huit Party from England arrived in Massachusetts on the Susan and Ellen, 1638; *=Arrived at Dorchester on the Mary and John in 1630.:
      Thomas Barber (ST. 1635)
      William Filley (D. 1640)
      Jeremiah Gillett
      Jonathan Gillett (D. 1635)*
      Nathan Gillett (D. 1635)*
      Edward Griswold (H. 1639)
      Matthew Griswold (H. 1639)
      Joseph Loomis (H. 1639)
      George Phelps (D. 1635)*
      William Phelps (D. 1635)*
      John Porter, Sr. (H. 1639)
      The second and third generations of these founders intermarried children from many other names among the Founders. The booklet also gives some history of the founding from which I quote the following:
      "The Connecticut River valley was first explored in 1614 when the Dutch explorer Adriaen Block sailed up the river as far as the Hartford area. However, the Dutch at New Amsterdam (now New York City) did not take advantage of the river valley until 1633 when they built a fort at the present site of Hartford.
      The valley was also explored by the English, both Pilgrims from the Plymouth Colony and Puritans from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In April of 1631 representatives of the River Indians went to Boston and then to Plymouth to ask that each colony make settlements in the valley..." [The local Indians were seeking to preserve peace in the valley by protection from their more warlike enemies including the encroaching Pequots from the southeast and the Mohawks from the northwest.]
      "...In 1633 groups from New Amsterdam, Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay colonies explored and/or attempted to settle in the valley. During the early months of 1633, the Dutch were becoming apprehensive about the English colonies possibly settling on what they considered their land..." [The Dutch erected a fort at the present site of Hartford with two cannons and named it "House of Hope."]
      "The Plymouth Colony decided to go ahead with their explorations in the late summer of 1633... under the command of Lt. William Holmes... This party landed on Sep. 26, 1633, at the junction of today's Connecticut and Farmington Rivers and immediately erected... a 'Palizado' or stockade fort.
      "In the late summer of 1633 the Massachusetts Bay Colony decided to reconsider the possibilities of settling... A party led by John Oldham explored an overland route to Connecticut. They traveled westerly following an ancient Indian trail known as the Old Connecticut Path, then known as the Great Trail, until they reached the valley. His positive report encouraged the MBC to send their first party to settle the valley in 1634. Ten adventurers were the first settlers of Wethersfield. After this party of Puritans arrived in the valley, many more followed.
      "At this time the MBC was ripe for a massive migration. The colony was established in 1628 by Puritans from England who were seeking to 'purify' the community's civil, economic and religious lifestyle in response to the abuses of church and state power in England. Led by Gov. John Winthrop, these Puritans felt called by God to attempt to live personal and public lives pleasing to Him in the unspoiled wilderness to form a model Christian society for the world to emulate. After a few years in the Massachusetts Bay, some of the colonists began to feel that Winthrop's version of the Puritan vision was too restrictive. He believed that God governed society through only a few select men. For these theological and political ideals as well as for the practical concern of the desire to move from the overcrowded seacoast to the new land along the fertile river, Puritans from the towns of Waterton, Dorchester and Newtown were eager to consider the possibilities opened up by Oldam's explorations in the valley.
      "As a result, an advance party from Dorchester under the leadership of Roger Ludlow explored the Windsor area in the late spring of 1635 followed by a permanent settlement of 60 men, women and children in October. They probably moved just before winter to thwart the plans of yet another group of explorers, the 'Lords and Gentlemen.'
      "This party of about 20 men under Francis Stiles was sent form England by Sir Richard Saltonstall. They claimed the right to settle the valley by a patent granted in 1631 by the Earl of Warwick to Saltonstall and other noblemen of England. The Stiles group arrived in Boston from England on June 16, 1635, and stayed in Boston for ten days before leaving for Windsor. They sailed up the Connecticut River..."
      "All the land within the present borders of Windsor was legally purchased from these Indians [Podunk, Poquonocks, Sicaogs and Tunxis]."
      "...disaster struck in the winter of 1633-34 when a smallpox epidemic spread through the River Indians tribes killing most of them..."
      "The Pequots continued to conquer most of the tribes in Connecticut until they were finally stopped in the Pequot War in 1637 when the men in the river settlements united to fight after the Wethersfield massacre on April 23. After the Pequots were defeated, the River Indians, and the Englishmen were able to maintain a peaceful coexistence."
      In regards to the Plymouth group "just one month after the trading post was completed... the Dutch governor at New Amsterdam sent 70 men to evict the Plymouth settlers from their trading post. When the Dutch force reached Windsor, they found the Plymouth settlers so well entrenched that after a few hostile demonstrations they returned to New Amsterdam. After this one attempt to dislodge the Windsor settlers, the Dutch took no further action against the settlement at Windsor... The trading post stayed undisturbed for nearly two years after the Dutch conflict until in 1635 two groups of settlers came form the MBC to settle on land in what is now Windsor."
      "The Dorchester group who arrived in Windsor in 1636 was actually a Puritan congregation established by the Rev. John White in Plymouth, England, in 1630. Seeking a creative solution to the problems of political and religious oppression in England, the Puritans decided to emigrate to the New World to perform an 'errand in the wilderness,' to develop a model society under God free from the corruption of England. Rev. White encouraged 140 people to covenant with God and each other to live as a Christian community in the New World. Rev. John Warham and Rev. John Maverick were chosen as ministers. Others in company included... established gentlemen... William Phelps; and young, mostly single men such as... George Phelps. After a day of prayer, fasting and preaching, they boarded the Mary and Johnwhere they met together every day for worship and preaching during the ten weeks of their voyage. Landing in the New World, they established their new community in Dorchester under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Bay Colony headed by Governor John Winthrop."
      "After a few years differences arose between Winthrop and some of the other ministers including Rev. Thomas Hooker, Warham and Maverick concerning the basis of authority in the government by a very few people whereas others saw that all the governed should have a voice in the government. Since these two ideas could not coexist, the problems of overcrowding the seaside colony and the inducement of a lucrative fur trade in the fertile inland valley helped the Dorchester group under Warham and the Newtown group under Hooker to decide to move west as congregations to develop their vision of the Puritan community under God."
      "The Dorchester group traveled to the Connecticut River Valley following the Old Connecticut Path. It is debated whether the group continued all the way to Windsor on the Old Connecticut path or rather went through Agawam (now Springfield), Massachusetts, and traveled south along the Connecticut River until they reached Windsor. Most likely they took the Old Connecticut Path all the way since there were no known paths to Agawam large enough for a group of that size until the Bay Path was discovered in 1648."
      "After walking for 14 days, the group reached Windsor at the end of October and settled on the east side of the Connecticut River across form the mouth of the Scantic River. For temporary shelter they dug into the sides of the low hills along the Connecticut River making homes that were enclosed on three sides by dirt, in front by posts and on the roof by wood and thatch."
      "The unusually harsh winter came early that year freezing the river over by mid-November and preventing the ship laden with their possessions and provisions from sailing upriver from Long Island Sound. Some settlers traveled downriver, freed a ship and returned to the Bay Colony. Some returned to Dorchester overland through the snow. Still others decided to stay, subsisting through the winter on acorns, malt, grain and possibly receiving some food from the Indians and other groups of settlers. Undeterred from the harshness of the first winter, the Dorchester community renewed their determination to settle permanently in the Conn. River Valley. By the end of April of 1636 most of the congregation of the Dorchester church had removed to what is now Windsor, taking their church records with them and leaving a few townsmen remaining to reorganize a new church under the ministry of the Rev. Richard Mather who arrived from England a few months later."
      "The land the Dorchester settlers started building on was owned by the Plymouth group. This piece of land was from a second land purchase from the Indians stretching from the Farmington River in the south to what is now Hayden Station in the north. The Dorchester settlers refused to acknowledge that the land belonged to the Plymouth group. The Plymouth group, who had not actually settled this second piece of land, was forced to stay in the Plymouth Meadow at the junction of the two rivers and eventually sold their land to Matthew Allyn. In 1640, two years after this sale, the Plymouth House and lot was declared to be within the jurisdiction of the orders of Windsor."
      "In 1637 because of the threat of a Pequot attack, the Dorchester settlers constructed a palisade or fence of wooden posts on the higher ground north of the Farmington River. Here the settlers constructed more permanent homes. After the threat of Indian attack subsided and the homes of their families were completed, the settlers built their first meetinghouse for their church in 1639. The site of the meetinghouse in the center of what is now the Palisado Green is marked by a monument to the early settlers of Windsor."
      "A few days after the Dorchester group reached Windsor, another group arrived...'The Lords and Gentlemen,' this group envisioned developing the Connecticut Valley into large manor-like estates upon which they would continue to enjoy the lifestyle to which they were accustomed in England. They claimed the right to settle under the Warwick Patent... giving them the right to settle anywhere in what is now Connecticut. This group included the Stiles brothers...as well as their servants and apprentices including... Thomas Barber..."
      "Although the Stiles party wanted to settle the highland around the area that is now the Palisado Green, the Dorchester settlers allowed them to settle only in the northernmost part of Plymouth's second land purchase, the land just south of what is now Hayden Station..."
      "In March 1636 the General court of Massachusetts established a commission of eight members to govern the river towns, including Agawam (now Springfield), for one year. Windsor's representatives were William Phelps and Roger Ludlow."
      "Early in the following year the town of Dorchester changed its name to Windsor, Newtown to Hartford, Watertown to Wethersfield. The changes from Massachusetts names to wholly new names reflected the fact that the three towns were no longer under Massachusetts jurisdiction but constituted the separate colony of Connecticut."
      "The three settlements in Windsor were merging into one identity with most of the Plymouth group leaving, the Dorchester group continuing to be the most prominent..."
      "In May 1638 Rev. Thomas Hooker preached a sermon in which he propounded the theological basis of a democratic government. These beliefs were actually put into words by Roger Ludlow, a brilliant legal mind trained at Oxford University. Known as the 'Fundamental Orders of 1639,' this document expressed Rev. Hooker's belief that 'the foundation of authority is laid in the free consent of the people.' Thus, Roger Ludlow and Thomas Hooker were the primary contributors to the first written constitution in the world, which expressed the right of the people to govern themselves."
      "Meanwhile, large-scale emigration into Windsor continued until about 1641 when it became a trickle, reflecting both the exodus of Puritans from England and the end of that Exodus when the Puritans finally secured political power there in 1641. In most cases people migrated first to the MBC then on to the Connecticut River Valley. One of these later groups which emigrated in 1638 form England to Massachusetts and then to Windsor was led by the Rev. Ephraim Huit, who then assisted Warham in his work. That group of immigrants, many of whom came over on the Susan and Ellen included John Porter and Joseph Loomis (who married the White sisters), John Bissell, Edward and Matthew Griswold and Daniel Clarke...."

      9. Various mentions (but not all) of William Phelps in the "Colonial Records of Connecticut, 1636-1665," Vol. 1, published in Hartford 1850:
      A. Page 32: "August The 26, 1639. Mr. Webster informed the Court that according to the determination of the last meeting, Mr. Deputy, Mr. Willis and him- selfe acquainted or freinds of Quinnipiocke with their purposes concerning the murtherers, and desired the concurrence of their apprehensions therein, who fully approving of the thing yett intimated their thoughts somewhat to differ from o'rs in the present execution of it, in regard of some new plantacons that are now beginning and some inconvenience wch may fall vppon these parts of the Cuntrey by a noise of a new warr, wch may hinder the coming of shipps the next yeare. Whereas divers of the Pequatts who were given to Vncus and Antinemo haue planted againe part of the land wch was conquered by us contrary to or agreement with them, It was thought fitt and ordered, that 40 men be prportioned out of the severall plantacons and irhediately sent away to gather the Corne there planted by them. The men are pr'portioned for the severall Townes thus, Windsor, 13 Hartford, 17 Wethe